Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Scars Of War Will Be Politically Correct

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Newspost said:
There aren’t any real differences between the genders in SoW, beyond the cosmetic.
What's the point of having both then?
Larper shit?
Newspost said:
There is sexism and rape and a whole host of suitably nasty things
Oh...
:thumbsup:

dermatologist

Educated
holy shit, hiver must have told some chick he wants to sleep with that he posts on this forum and he thinks that she might actually read his posts. there is no other explanation for that level of downs + WKing.

also boni(i) is not the plural of bonus, the correct plural form is bonuses.

anyway, to me the choice of gender is equally as critical to the character as the choice of race and profession. edit: but you don't have races, it seems, so i guess my earlier comment was dumb.

have you ever considered what other options, perhaps unspoken, your girlfriend has for not wanting to play a female? like....... she's a female in real life, and that (fantasy) games are sometimes an escape from reality?

why would anyone be upset with a -2str penalty/+2 cha bonus in a D&D setting anyway? does your game forsake quality dialog options, non-combat opportunities, and C&C for excessive combat? does your game have a dearth of interesting, combat-oriented, and recruitable followers?

(ex) girlfriend

oh ho ho, you sly devil. never mind. the white armor and shield shine brighter than the fires of a thousand suns.

Topher

Cipher
dermatologist said:
holy shit, hiver must have told some chick he wants to sleep with that he posts on this forum and he thinks that she might actually read his posts. there is no other explanation for that level of downs + WKing.

anyway, to me the choice of gender is equally as critical to the character as the choice of race and profession. edit: but you don't have races, it seems, so i guess my earlier comment was dumb.

have you ever considered what other options, perhaps unspoken, your girlfriend has for not wanting to play a female? like....... she's a female in real life, and that (fantasy) games are sometimes an escape from reality?

why would anyone be upset with a -2str penalty/+2 cha bonus in a D&D setting anyway? does your game forsake quality dialog options, non-combat opportunities, and C&C for excessive combat? does your game have a dearth of interesting, combat-oriented, and recruitable followers?

(ex) girlfriend

oh ho ho, you sly devil. never mind. the white armor and shield shine brighter than the fires of a thousand suns.

To bad charisma is a dump stat in most games. After reading this topic it's clear why naked ninja makes games and the others don't.

dermatologist

Educated
Topher said:
dermatologist said:

(ex) girlfriend

To bad charisma is a dump stat in most games. After reading this topic it's clear why naked ninja makes games and the others don't.

yeah, but most other games != this game. so why does that matter at all again..?

i agree it's too bad, though. it's a good indicator of a game with poor C&C and a game that's too focused on combat from character generation. but then again, that's what sells these days, so it's aigh

bert

Arcane
Blackadder said:
SerratedBiz said:
arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-barbarian-c101020511.jpg
VS
xena.jpg

Does anyone seriously think that

A) Conan can't beat Xena in strength? I mean, look at those ripping muscles, and those flimsy limbs.

B) That Xena is more rapeable than Conan? I mean, check out those milky boobs, and those rippling boobs.

women-bodybuilder1.jpg

A challenger approaches...

:what:

Tree123

Novice
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008 ... m_mars.htm

Functional magnetic resonance imaging of men and women under stress showed neuroscientists how their brains differed in response to stressful situations. In men, increased blood flow to the left orbitofrontal cortex suggested activation of the "fight or flight" response. In women, stress activated the limbic system, which is associated with emotional responses.

science is misogynous

Aykulometis

Novice
First, wonderfully fun trolling/discussion, especially from hiver. NN himself has proven a reliable source of stubborn non-argument since his arrival and first interminable back and forth with the former overlord.

On topic, for me at least some of the resistance to seemingly artificial PC in this instance comes from the acute awareness of how PC we all have to be in real life. Having come of age in the 80s/early 90s as standards of sexism really shifted I've seen both sides of the fence and, while certainly not regretting the move away from overt sexism in most areas of life, would appreciate it if I didn't always have to put up with the retarded 'difference = inequality = sexism' mantra in a supposedly complex, realistic, and adult game that, as an indie, doesn't have to worry about pissing off publishers by attracting negative press. The above suggested charisma penalty or, even better, amazon/she-hulk background option seems a perfectly acceptable move to incorporate differences in a non-limiting, game-enhancing fashion.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Naked Ninja said:
In some cases it can be interesting to explore gender differences, but I don't think it's appropriate for zombie-shooter escapism.
And that's what you think Scars of War is?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:
In some cases it can be interesting to explore gender differences, but I don't think it's appropriate for zombie-shooter escapism.
And that's what you think Scars of War is?

Yes, that's exactly what I think Scars of War is. Well done.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sometimes i feel i should do something constructive with my life and stop hanging out in places that do comics analogies.

What do you think guys?

hiver

sup clock

what? youre jelous?
btw you call that "original"?
hah, tickle my schmuckle.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked how Arcanum did it (men have +1str, women +1con, if I remember correctly).

I don't mind having a small stat difference because of gender, as long as it's still balanced, which means that the stat women are better in (as here suggested, charisma) should not be a dump stat. It's not a feature that makes or breaks a game, and seriously, how many RPGs actually do have a gender-based stat difference? :roll:

hiver

No, no,no - no.
The only difference should come from NPC reactions.
Stat or mechanics gender differences of any kind are as stupid and retarded as codex in this thread.
More.

Wait no...

:retarded:

JarlFrank said:
I liked how Arcanum did it (men have +1str, women +1con, if I remember correctly).

I don't mind having a small stat difference because of gender, as long as it's still balanced, which means that the stat women are better in (as here suggested, charisma) should not be a dump stat. It's not a feature that makes or breaks a game, and seriously, how many RPGs actually do have a gender-based stat difference? :roll:

That was the whole original premise which was hijacked by the patriarchal society earlier: It is fine, perhaps even desirable, provided that the game is sophisticated enough to allow all sorts of ways to do things/complete quests, including combat options (dueling/fencing for a more dexterity based female perhaps, if strength penalties applied). As you say, charisma is almost always a dump stat, or at best, something to add a little spice to the game. Rarely does it have any effect on getting through the real tests of just about any CRPG.

According to the Fantasy Experts however, females should only gain in trivial things, or not at all, because that is 'realistic'.

There used to be quite a few CRPG's that had gender based stat differences, back in the 80's especially, and of course all the Goldbox games had this feature as well. Effect: You didn't pick females for anything except mages. Even then there were no advantages to doing so. Why bother picking any at all? So you can get a little tattoo for a female PC in Curse of the Azure Bonds? How interesting. I always thought there were more important points to draw the line on, such as the complete downfall of the CRPG genre, but apparently not.

Seriously, if there is no balance in possible character builds, don't bother wasting any time implementing them. Spend it on other game features instead. As Mondblut says; 'there is only my PC and I, and neither of us cares'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'd also approve of melee combat being more dexterity-based than strength-based. It's more important how you swing your weapon and what kind of weapon you use than how strong you are.

Actually, a trained, physically normal woman swordfighter could more easily kill you than a muscle-packed guy who's never used a sword before. Combat skill + dexterity > raw strength.

However, consider that rogues, archers and the like rely on dexterity already. So if you want to keep Strength as a relevant aspect on the game, you sort of need to rely on the "Giant dude with a sword is dangerous" trope.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
CK has it right.

I actually had a bit of a time balancing Agility, as a stat it is useful for so many things, including melee Attack Rating, Dodging, Parrying and Blocking. I'm concerned it's just too much of the uber stat for warriors AND sneaky types. I need to playtest to work out just how it 'feels' in gameplay, theorycrafting only takes you so far, but I think itmay need reworking or splitting into two stats to balance it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Hmm true, dex was already too fucking über in Arcanum since it gave you bonuses on all the stealth skills, melee, and (I think) archery too.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
What helps balance it in SoW is the fact that weapons and armor have strength requirements, and that fatigue cost for things like swinging weapons is based on how heavy the weapon is VS your strength.

So a Conan type might be able to swing a two handed sword around for ages while an agile fighter would be more accurate and deadly in the short term, but tire quicker, and will generally be using lighter armor and weapons.

Strength also gives you bonus hit points (less than Endurance, but some), so you can take more punishment, as well as multiplies your damage when you hit.

Still not sure it is balanced, but we'll see. I want all 3 builds ( brute fighter/ quick fighter/ balanced fighter ) to be viable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom