Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Scariest RPG Dungeon?

Dungeons in most RPG's are tough, often the most entertaining parts of their respective games, and contain the best loot and high level bosses. But, very few, are actually creepy.

Of all the RPG's I have played, the only one that comes to mind in terms of being legit creepy is Arx Fatalis. Because the entire gameworld is subterranean (above ground is a frozen wasteland), the Crypt in the middle of capital city is present from the beginning of the game, only it's locked due to adventurers being attacked and going missing.

Once you gain access to the Crypt, you face a giant stone sarcophagus with multiple levels, dangerous traps, and the undead. The ambient music is totally on point: it's foreboding and drops in tempo and bass the deeper you go.

I can't think of any other RPG, aside from maybe the Plains of Despair in Diablo II, that had a genuinely creepy dungeon.

Are there any I've missed that have been released in the last 15 years?

Saduj

Arcane
I remember feeling some genuine creepiness while playing Diablo.

Edit: ninja'd

vmar

Savant
Ocean House Hotel in VtMB was the first thing that came to mind, at least until you realize it's all jump scares.

When I was a kid the crypts with all the ghosts in Morrowind were kinda creepy, especially when they were pitch black and you could barely see anything, then you turn around and there's some spirit heading towards you that's immune to your regular weapons.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tomb of Giants, Dark Souls. This dungeon had me on edge. Almost didn't finish the game thanks to this area. Skeletons aplenty and in complete darkness.

f6ZY5Mo.gif

Ash

Arcane
Dungeons in most RPG's are tough, often the most entertaining parts of their respective games, and contain the best loot and high level bosses. But, very few, are actually creepy.

Of all the RPG's I have played, the only one that comes to mind in terms of being legit creepy is Arx Fatalis. Because the entire gameworld is subterranean (above ground is a frozen wasteland), the Crypt in the middle of capital city is present from the beginning of the game, only it's locked due to adventurers being attacked and going missing.

Once you gain access to the Crypt, you face a giant stone sarcophagus with multiple levels, dangerous traps, and the undead. The ambient music is totally on point: it's foreboding and drops in tempo and bass the deeper you go.

:bro:

Arx Fatalis is too underrated.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Stygian Abyss is creepy and feels very organic.

I also liked the creepiness of some of the dungeons in Dragon's Dogma.

Way back in the NES days, Immortal had a scary dungeon.

The first Diablo was fairly creepy in spots.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Tomb of Giants, Dark Souls. This dungeon had me on edge. Almost didn't finish the game thanks to this area. Skeletons aplenty and in complete darkness.

f6ZY5Mo.gif
Fuck I hate those skeleton dogs. Fun times when I fell into that place from catacombs not knowing a way out and only reinforced weapon being a sword.

Got reminded of bone charms only after I rested at the bonfire there. :M

Way back in the NES days, Immortal had a scary dungeon.
That whole game is just pure terror. I don't think I ever got anywhere.

btbgfel

Scholar
System shock 2, the entire game is a mega dungeon. And creepy sierra madre.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Although I think it's only a borderline RPG, since someone considered Dark Souls an RPG above, I'll vote for the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls. Though I might be biased, since it takes inspiration from some of my favorite artwork.

tumblr_nz2yl75oPs1unxlj8o5_r1_500.png

tumblr_ob37slq7AY1tt3wuco1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo2_500.gif

tumblr_m8nm76FkLN1qcjglso1_500.gif

tumblr_m9kweqsCVq1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

The Fool's Idol boss fight in level 3-1 is the creepiest in any Souls game.

That said, Dungeon Master and Daggerfall both managed to instill a sense of dread simply from the sound of monsters lurking somewhere in the dungeon, outside your vision but close enough to be an imminent threat.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Play Chaos Strike Back.

/End of Thread
You're forgetting Legacy: Realm of Terror - it can give CSB quite a run for its money, both in terms creepyness and in terms of being nail-bitingly hard.

Heh, I was just about to mention that. Especially in the beginning when you don't know how to deal with certain enemies, and you are afraid of just opening a door. L:RoT captures that Lovecraftian kind of fear as he expressed it himself "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown".

Cynicus

Augur
They're not RPGs obviously, but creeping around in the Thief games could be pretty intense and dungeon-like at times. Shalebridge Cradle for example.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exanima, particularly at the start where pitch black actually means pitch fucking black and you are blind without a torch. And also because you are very likely to be inept at the combat.

DemonKing

Arcane
They're not RPGs obviously, but creeping around in the Thief games could be pretty intense and dungeon-like at times. Shalebridge Cradle for example.

Oh yeah - I loved Down Amongst the Bonehoard - all those creepy zombie moans. Some of the later levels in the haunted city where also good.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Ultima VII had some weird shit going on in some o the dungeons, i'm thinking of test of courage from Forge o Virtue, the sacrificed babby, the summoned Lich, the masses o torn apart bodies lying around an all that. All o Skara Brae were fairly creepy an all.

New uns i'd probably opt for the Ruined Asylum in Witcher 2, bloody well told little tale, creepy as all fuckin hell, an reveal o Loredo's Mum as escaped patient is brilliant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom