Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 HOtS.

pan

Learned
Im not even playing this game and even still I can see your reasoning to be completely bullshit. More unit types means less micro, really? How about its MORE micro since those units have different abilities, attack timers, speed, range etc etc etc and using them means constant switching between unit types? Its REALLY basic. More units viable = more tactics AND more strategy involved.

Two unit types better than 5, right....

Relative importance, imbecile.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Blizzard is trying to avoid SC1 situation where nobody uses units like ghosts,scouts,queens and such so you see a lot of patches, they even sometimes cut whole unit abilities out.
Micro and positioning, which play a small role already, are even further reduced in relative importance by the unit composition war being waged.

? Positioning is everything when evenly balanced armies engage.

Granted this only happens on the highest level but still positioning is super important in this game.

pan

Learned
Blizzard is trying to avoid SC1 situation where nobody uses units like ghosts,scouts,queens and such so you see a lot of patches, they even sometimes cut whole unit abilities out.
Micro and positioning, which play a small role already, are even further reduced in relative importance by the unit composition war being waged.

Granted this only happens on the highest level but still positioning is super important in this game.

What a PROFOUND observation you have there. Care to demonstrate your theory by telling me how positioning played a role in this battle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P8rNaEh-OI#t=12m30s

Btw, I'm humouring you. The type of positioning you're talking about (getting a big concave) is the dumbed down consoletard type of positioning for SC2 players. When I say positioning, I'm speaking in a grander sense than smashing two balls of units into each other in the most efficient way.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Grander sense? You mean like how in that very replay the zerg is maintaining a presence all over the map with mutalisks and zerglings to take out tons of buildings unopposed?

No, of course not. You mean dicking around with 4-5 units at once to right click spider mines or kite marines or zealots. Which is probably your only skillset.

Banelings and sentries (and now widow mines too) have made positioning and micro more relevant in close battles if anything, not less. You're just bitchy because now the guy with better micro doesn't just autowin, there are other ways to outplay an opponent as well.

pan

Learned
You're absolutely right. "Nestea" plunges unprecedented tactical depths by right clicking his mutalisks into a base, and then right clicking them out when the enemy comes to fight them. Truly that is an amazing degree of tactical insight which you are able to convey to me about this game.

Sentries and widow mines making positioning and micro relevant! Wow. You, sir, are an EXPERT unmatched.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Grander sense? You mean like how in that very replay the zerg is maintaining a presence all over the map with mutalisks and zerglings to take out tons of buildings unopposed?

No, of course not. You mean dicking around with 4-5 units at once to right click spider mines or kite marines or zealots. Which is probably your only skillset.

Banelings and sentries (and now widow mines too) have made positioning and micro more relevant in close battles if anything, not less. You're just bitchy because now the guy with better micro doesn't just autowin, there are other ways to outplay an opponent as well.

Sentries make micro more relevant? Any other insights you'd like to share with us, bro? War is peace? Freedom is slavery? Always online DRM good for consumers everywhere?

Stop posting those cherrypick examples where retarded air only armies clash, something like air zerg vs. air toss is the worst gameplay in SC2 and the muta balls in WoL TvP were already the most retarded thing in the game. The better battles tend to be about things like Siege Tank lines or bio micro. Although I haven't ever seen anything quite as cool as say BW TvP in SC2 there are still better gameplay examples than fucking air units or casters only.

What is it with bronze players and cheese builds?
Well it's seems easier and cheese is pretty common in every sub-masters league anyways. Lol just look at me, hoho there are these cool new units but I'm sticking to my old all-ins because that's what wins you games. Bah I have been trying to watch some pro Terran players to see if there's any reasonable new TvZ/TvP styles but all I have seen is Zerg steamrolling mech with the same old Nooblords and TvP is still the same MMMGV with some early Widow Mines to defend against early Stargate play.

pan

Learned
I will admit, Terran vs. Zerg can be pretty cool in SC2. But only when played at a very, very high level, and only on certain maps. Here's an example of what I'd consider an entertaining SC2 game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOmqUBsViU

But that sort of game is very rare. In fact, the above example was the only game I've found able to maintain my interest continuously. Generally, the most I will get out of watching a SC2 game are a few moments of entertainment (if that), with the rest of the time wasted on the banality of two half-wits floundering about, unable to pull off anything more than silent macro interspersed by emotionless drops and climaxing in a generic ball battle.

That was indeed pretty cool, I didn't even know Flash has switched to SC2, that's good news for SC2 spectators. CC first eh, that's a pretty boss opening in TvZ, though I would like to see some stats on how delaying your Orbital affects your economy early on.

Ohh Flash. Why even bother building the supply depots along the choke if you are just going to keep them lowered and let zerglings run in and slaughter your base every minute?

I'm assuming Widow mines still provide sight while burrowed, correct?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

What a PROFOUND observation you have there. Care to demonstrate your theory by telling me how positioning played a role in this battle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P8rNaEh-OI#t=12m30s

Btw, I'm humouring you. The type of positioning you're talking about (getting a big concave) is the dumbed down consoletard type of positioning for SC2 players. When I say positioning, I'm speaking in a grander sense than smashing two balls of units into each other in the most efficient way.

Picking out one replay between a slumping Nestea and a nobody really does prove your point.

Heresiarch

Prophet
HEY GUYZ

I'm always late in the party and I just realized the TPB version has been out for a couple of weeks. Soooo is it better for a single playthrough for the plot?

DeepOcean

Arcane
HEY GUYZ

I'm always late in the party and I just realized the TPB version has been out for a couple of weeks. Soooo is it better for a single playthrough for the plot?
If you are masochist, then yes.:lol: But seriously, some missions are kinda fun but not mindblowing stuff, most missions have innovations that are mostly: "How many different ways we can add a time limit?" so instead of having 15:00 you have to finish the mission before Kerrigan looses in a animu fight, for example and you will desire to throw Blizzard writers in a pit full of acid every time a character open his mouth.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Ok I actually wanted to ask "is it better than Wings of Liberty" thus there's the word "better" there. Sooooo is it better than Wings of Liberty?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I enjoyed WoL better, tbh, the writing's become more retarded and the missions aren't as fun (but that might be because it's been a while since I played the WoL campaign)

I found that the HotS writing was tarded but overall shorter... It doesn't take its time to really rub the derp into your face the way WoL does. The campaign gameplay itself was also very good. IMO better than what I had expected.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fun fact: If zerg units walk off the creep, THEY DIE INSTANTLY! Do not leave the creep!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom