Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 HOtS.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
As everyone know a new SC2 campaign is just behind the corner, and Blizzard is already allowing a beta to remove imbalances from units.

Now look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVlQmJhsu4 , there one Korean player is showing excelent play, aside of one blunder which I wonder if it should really be called blunder as he wasn't able to recognize the problem.

So there are about 754 comments already, and expect it to be much larger, because of the above, and also Husky is showing an incredible ability to select one larva.

Anyway this is now an official HOtS thread aka terrans are imba.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gah, upgrades! Throwing wave after wave of 0/2 zerg troops against 3/3 mech. So frustrating to watch! I shall arm my zerglings with toothbrushes and send them in to make sure the Terran mechanical army has good dental hygiene! My roaches shall lash the enemies with the acidic power of... kitchen vinegar! Go forth, my non-upgraded minions!

That's a quite funny quote from HOtS beta.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Game is likely going to change very little, still the same ol' "all-in or turtle into maxed army" borefest. For the most part, they're just piling more and more gimmicks upon SC2's broken fundamentals, and hoping shit works itself out. Some of the gimmicks don't seem too bad, like Mothership Core or Swarm Hosts, but others are completely retarded at the moment (lol Hellbat). But ultimately, it's going to be more of the same, and SC2's days of "eSport" prominence are likely over.

As everyone know a new SC2 campaign is just behind the corner, and Blizzard is already allowing a beta to remove imbalances from units.

I didn't. SC2 was practically DoA for me and it doesn't look like HotS is changing this.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is likely going to change very little, still the same ol' "all-in or turtle into maxed army" borefest.
Actually current version allows raids with medevacs, the only trouble is they added widowmines too efficiently, thus medevacs can be used for raids without worrying about being punished by counterattack.

Swarm Hosts,
Actually these are quite underpowered because of scan.

but others are completely retarded at the moment (lol Hellbat).
Well if they create them by mutation from that flaming marine, it would be fine. But when they are able to transfer them from and to Hellions, it's a problem. In addition widowmines should be modified. Either by delaying their action after burrow, or by revealing them on creep at worst after the first salvo.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Game is likely going to change very little, still the same ol' "all-in or turtle into maxed army" borefest.
Actually current version allows raids with medevacs, the only trouble is they added widowmines too efficiently, thus medevacs can be used for raids without worrying about being punished by counterattack.

Swarm Hosts,
Actually these are quite underpowered because of scan.

but others are completely retarded at the moment (lol Hellbat).
Well if they create them by mutation from that flaming marine, it would be fine. But when they are able to transfer them from and to Hellions, it's a problem. In addition widowmines should be modified. Either by delaying their action after burrow, or by revealing them on creep at worst after the first salvo.

I don't care what's underpowered or overpowered in the current Beta build, that changes from week to week, and most of the time can't be accurately judged anyway. What I care about is proof that the developers have a proper vision of where the game should go, and an understanding of what its problems are. And they clearly don't have it. The mess that is the Hellbat (a mechanical unit that transforms into a biological unit while also magically taking up more space in a medivac and losing access to upgrades researched for the mech form) is proof of that to me. Or medivac speed boost, that's just completely retarded - they keep adding abilities that mess with the mobility of armies, and then are surprised when everything is a volatile clusterfuck. Same for that Protoss aoe slow and recall. A well designed game should allow armies to retreat and move around the map without all these gimmicks.

fanta

Arcane
BW into SC2 is the biggest fucking decline of subsequent installments in the history of video games. I am butthurt to have even glimpsed this turd on my codex.

BW into SC2 is the biggest fucking decline of subsequent installments in the history of video games. I am butthurt to have even glimpsed this turd on my codex.
:retarded:

SC2 is pretty shit, but there are far worse declines.

Psquit

Arcane

lets hope they dont fuck more the campaing...
I dont want to have the terran, zerg and the protoss allied themself against the burning legion...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I dont want to have the terran, zerg and the protoss allied themself against the burning legion...

You played Protos missions, right?

That would be an improvement on SC2's campaign, actually. The SC2 version of WC3's campaign would have you assaulting the burning legion's homeworld and de-legion their leader so you can have implied sex with her.

If Blizzard could put out a single player campaign of WC3's level I would consider it a masterstroke of genius for them.

Psquit

Arcane

That would be an improvement on SC2's campaign, actually. The SC2 version of WC3's campaign would have you assaulting the burning legion's homeworld and de-legion their leader so you can have implied sex with her.

If Blizzard could put out a single player campaign of WC3's level I would consider it a masterstroke of genius for them.

yeah, i just want old duran from brood wars... he was cool

Psquit

Arcane
Really enjoyed the singleplayer campaign of SCII. Attention to detail and polish was insane. Looking forward to try this one.

the secret mission was one of the best. Commando mission style from old starcraft.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm just playing SC2 campaign. I liked first Protos mission, and Tosh mission.

BTW were you able to beat up enemy in that mission where you should hide behind bunkers until some event happens? You know just before you are able to decide on what planet you'd go next. There is an achievement for hard, "defense who needs defense lets go blast the enemy first offense is the best defense".

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why is BW better than SC2?

And don't just say it's better balanced, go into detail. I'm very curious.

I'm just playing SC2 campaign. I liked first Protos mission, and Tosh mission.

BTW were you able to beat up enemy in that mission where you should hide behind bunkers until some event happens? You know just before you are able to decide on what planet you'd go next. There is an achievement for hard, "defense who needs defense lets go blast the enemy first offense is the best defense".

Yeah, I cleared the map with several minutes to go IIRC. Should be simple for anyone decent at multiplayer, only units you really need to build are marines and SCVs. Can't remember what other units were available at that point, but they are redundant.

Just for kicks I did the SC2 campaign building only marines and SCVs (medivacs only when missions require them to transport marines). Got all the way up to the last mission without too much trouble.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why is BW better than SC2?

And don't just say it's better balanced, go into detail. I'm very curious.

Singleplayer - Very good story (for an RTS) with relatively intelligent characters/motivations (almost all of them made retarded in SC2/reconned completely) and plot development. Missions are all important to the storyline and you get to play all three sides, no bullshit 90% filler to stretch out what would be half the Terran campaign in SC1 to a full game. Less gimmick missions, where you get a new unit (say, the marauder) and suddenly the mission is specifically designed so that the best way to win is to build 1000 marauders.

Multiplayer - Larger maps, longer games with less "I moved my 200 army into your 200 army and the winner immediately wins the game" moments. Lots of back and forth, with asymmetrical warfare units that demand more special usage rather than being designed to be added to the deathball (scourge, lurkers, corsairs, science vessels, etc). Lots more emphasis on controlling strong ground points on the map. Better balance. SC2 is basically predicated on the fact that people like to see explosions so the best way to make the game good is to have a 15 second uber-battle with lots of explosions. Outside of the competitive sphere, an infinite amount of custom maps which were new games onto themselves and some of which spawned entire new genres (DotA and TD). SC2 basically shits on custom maps.

I haven't kept up with SC2/HotS though, so take it with a grain of salt. Knowing Blizzard they probably made it worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom