Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Say something about what the bro above you is listening to

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by UndetectedButthurt, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Aqualunggender: ⚧ Educated

Aqualung
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    His voice is incredibly annoying and all the songs sound p much the same. A big no to me.

This, in contrast, is pure nectar & ambrosia

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kutulugender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

Kutulu
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    It's my favorite maiden song, i like it alot.

^ Top  
  3. hello friendgender: ⚧ Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    I'd only heard the vocal only version before, didn't know this existed. I think the vocal only version is better.

^ Top  
  4. Danikasgender: ⚧ Literate

Danikas
    Parrots:
    Not my cup of tea.

^ Top  
  5. IPFreelygender: ⚧ Literate

IPFreely
    Parrots:
    Not bad, but I think this flute playing is better.

^ Top  
  6. veealunegender: ⚧ Educated

veealune
    Parrots:

Recently found this band, it's pretty cool.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    I didn't hate that, but in truth it seems a lot like something that might be playing softly in the background while I'm dining at an Indian restaurant.

^ Top  
  8. buru5gender: ⚧ Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

buru5
    Parrots:
    Really liked that, especially once it got into full swing and upped the tempo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Latrogender: ⚧ Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    sounds like the strokes imitating Rush

^ Top  
  10. Tribal Sarahgender: ⚧ Scholar

Tribal Sarah
    Parrots:
    zwoooh zweee zweee zweeee zweeeh dooooo dooooo squibbity bee booo dooobeedooo wahw wahw wahw bun bun bun baaaaah minipma daaaah daah minipmah wahhh wahhh wahhh

^ Top  
  11. oldbonebrowngender: ⚧ Literate

oldbonebrown
    Parrots:
    I tend to avoid beef for no real reason, it was just a thought I had once that stuck. Cats make me a little allergic. Garfield is alright tho.

I find this song distressing. It reminds me of the body's instinctive panic when faced with the thought of death.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. veealunegender: ⚧ Educated

veealune
    Parrots:
    Calming. I like it
    I'm listening through all of the Stellardrone albums.

^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her Juan_Carlogender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    Parrots:
    I've still been on my 1950s and 1960s British folk revival kick, which has been great. Discovered Ewan MacColl, Shirley Collins, the Watersons, Harry Cox, and most importantly, Peter Bellamy. Bellamy has quickly become one of my favorite artists ever. I posted a song from his folk opera, The Transports, a while back, but his major claim to fame was setting Rudyard Kipling's ballads to music (either by doing historical detective work to figure out what the tunes were, or just writing music himself).

Anyhow, my Bellamy fandom has given me a whole new appreciation for Rudyard Kipling I never had before. Take his, "Follow Me 'Ome," for example:

It seems so simple on the surface, in that it follows the same repetitive structure, but I've listened to it dozens of times now and get something new everytime. It's basically a lament of a soldier for a fellow soldier who was killed in battle. Some observations:

1. The song's repetitive structure outlines a hierarchy of affection, starting with beasts/man, woman/man, and, at the highest, the love between men. Which isn't to say it's gay, I don't think it is. It's just that army songs had a sort of socially mandated means of expressing male/male affection that modern society lacks (seriously, how many modern pop songs can you think of that are about non-sexual and non-romantic love between heterosexual men? I can think of exactly one Jens Lekman song......not many others).

2. The structure of the verses themselves reinforces this hierarchy, with verses 1 and 2 defining the parameters of love between beasts and man (His mare she neighs the whole day long / She paws the whole night through / and she won't take her feed for waiting for his step / which is just what a beast would do) and woman and man (His girl she goes with a bombadeer / Before a fortnight's through / And the banns are up in church / Cause she's got the beggar hooked / Which is just what a girl would do). The pattern established via the final line in each verse (e.g. "just what a" ... "would do") is broken, however, with the verse on male/male love, which ends with a prohibition (We fought 'bout a dog last week it were / no more than a round or two / I struck him cruel hard / I wish I hadn't now / Which is just what a man can't do). Again, the implicit message here is that beasts and women will love men, but there is no reason or even, it seems, conscious thought involved. Their love may be true, but they are creatures controlled by their whims and thus choice and reason doesn't enter into the equation. In that sense, despite the beast's loyalty, his love is dismissed in the song as "just what animals do," while the woman's disloyalty is forgiven for the same reasons. However, according to the song, the love between men is the highest form of love precisely because there are things "a man can't do" in reference to another man, standards that he will be held accountable to, and a code of honor. In other words, man/man love is the only form of love that can be held to standards of reason. Indeed, the final verse of the song reinforces the idea that the love between men that is "passing the love of women" is the highest ideal that one can strive for. It's not a terribly feminist message, obviously, but an interesting look into late 19th century views of love and gender, nonetheless.

3. Finally, in listening to all of Kipling's ballads it's really reinforced to me how useful the generic and repetitive structure of the ballad must have been as a preexisting, ritualized (almost to the point of formulaic), mechanism for processing trauma and grief. They all deal with really horrific subjects, but via fairly rigid and standardized forms that seemingly existed as a means of giving unspeakable horrors expression. They are sardonic and darkly humorous at times, but always empathetic. "Follow Me 'Ome" and "Cholera Camp" rip my guts out everytime I hear them, but they are also funny and full of fascinating and colorful vernacular and turns of phrase that make them seem uniquely alive. I used to dismiss Kipling as kind of dull, but I've really gotten a whole new appreciation for him via Peter Bellamy.

[end rant]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    ^ Top  
  14. hello friendgender: ⚧ Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    Cool lyrics but the music doesn't do anything for me.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again zwanzig_zwoelfgender: ⚧ DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Parrots:
    Hello friend, I expected some anime shit but this is alright.

^ Top  
  16. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    Weird, but kind of good. That album has an interesting production history.

^ Top  
  17. undecafgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Never been into country. It often sounds soothing and nice like this, but most of the time it can't hold my interest for very long.

^ Top  
  18. bat_borogender: ⚧ Arcane

bat_boro
    Parrots:
    Guys please help, I've been hooked on Polish rap for like half a year. It all started with OSTR and Gedz, then it went through ReTo and now I've been hooked on Solar and Bialas, specifically on the Nowa normalność and Stage diving albums. Anyone other Polish MC even come close to Solar and Bialas? I still don't know a word in Polish so I was wondering if anyone else sounds remotely as good in general

^ Top  
  19. forkgender: ⚧ Educated

fork
    Parrots:
    Hm, Ravel, Boléro. Nice, I guess, but not in the mood right now.

Edit: Oh, you're from Finland? Nice coincidence. :3

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grubbagender: ⚧ Arcane

Grubba
    Parrots:
    Always thought Beherit would've been better without the heavy vox fx

^ Top  
  21. Jazz_gender: ⚧ Erudite

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    Is that Maynard lol? don't have words to describe that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Robespierregender: ⚧ Educated Patron

Robespierre
    Parrots:
    Creepy, sleazy AND humorous. I believe he played every instruments on this track (except drums), including the moaning :lol:.

^ Top  
  23. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    Interesting, but nothing about it really stands out to me other than that band has been together for a long time.

^ Top  
  24. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
  25. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    Really? WTF? Here's an alternate, FWIW. Carry on.
    Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  26. HeatEXTENDgender: ⚧ Learned

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    not dense enough

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)