Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Say one GOOD thing about a SHIT game

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Morrowind had relaxing music.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The Lorebook of Arcatera: The dark Brotherhood is still a fun read.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gorasul: Legacy of a Dragon, while being a semi-competent Baldur's Gate clone is free from bizarre limitations of D&D 2nd edition, such as arbitrary armor and weapon limitations for certain classes.

I've actually tried to get that game to run on modern OS's more than once. Shit out of luck.
Pretty much all old games run better in wine than on modern windows.
e.g., any game that requires direct3d retained mode flat out won't work on Vista or later. Windows 8 dropped 8bit and 16bit support in DWM which introduced a lot of compatibility issues with old games. etc., etc.,

Hmm, I haven't really have had many problems so far. In fact, just tinkering with some settings and parameters often does a better job than GoG fucking up games to try to make them run (and still failing).

Only problems were the mentioned Gorasul, garbled graphics in Darkstone, and some games like Lords of Magic or Divine Divinity running super slow (possibly a problem with several processors?).

Ha! You do not know what troubles are until you try to run "Ancient secrets of Africa", an obscure German RPG about a XIX Century explorer. I tried to run it on different computers with Windows XP, 7 and 10. Finally managed to run it on a freaking tablet with Windows 8. Don't ask why it succeeded. I do not understand myself. It does not however work on older and more modern rigs.

Obscure German RPG with an interesting setting, you say? Never heard of it. Care to tell more?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
you're playing a big white bwana fighting long schlonged monsters and impregnating the natives after your victory.

10/10 GOTY 1989

edit:

seems like you're actually playing as black doodz.

should this be on the mandatory Kodex playlist?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Obscure German RPG with an interesting setting, you say? Never heard of it. Care to tell more?

So far I did not manage to achieve a lot in this game (did not leave the first village), but you play an archeologist/explorer from Europe in central Africa during the XIX century (you can hire local tribesmen to carry your shit, but still have to do the fighting yourself).

Here is some info about the game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dark-secrets-of-africa
http://www.old-games.com/download/8938/dark-secrets-of-africa

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
- Character creation in Megatraveller is fun.

- Shadow Sorcerer let you play characters of very various levels.

- The characters you play as in Of orcs and men are cool.

- You can bet on beetle races in Legend of Valour.

- The spell system of Don't go alone using the Mendeleiev table is cool. And the spell used to pass through walls is used in a very good way, both to bypass early puzzles and to succeed in solving further ones. And the last level is cool. Well this game is not that shit all things considered.

- The interface in Tangled tales is nice to look at.

- Crystal of arborea has very nice graphics.

- The box art of Obitus is one of the best.

- Legend of faerghail is as fun as an unplayable game can be.

- Diablo is atmospheric.

- Birthright has factions which vary in power to choose from.

- Final Fantasy 8 has a very good card game.

- Star Ocean 4 is a real sci-fi game (unlike 3).

- The portraits (with damages...) in Abandoned Places are cool.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
NWN1 gave you a free hand with character creation rather than obligating you to create a 20 year old shut-in with daddy issues.

PorkBarrellGuy

NWN1 gave you a free hand with character creation rather than obligating you to create a 20 year old shut-in with daddy issues.
You could even write up a character background/bio, though there's no way for anyone else to see it anyway.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
You could even write up a character background/bio, though there's no way for anyone else to see it anyway.

Yeah I never took it quite that far, but at least you could make a ranger or paladin or Druid or dwarf or whatever without it seeming too :retarded:, which it might in say BG or NWN2. If you care about that sort of thing.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
When I finished DAI, I had zero interest in ever playing it again. This saved me from death by suicide or boredom. That is serious game design.

Thanks BioWare!

Jason Liang

Arcane
I want to phrase this perfectly to maximize butthurt.

Arcanum- even the worst game made by Troika doesn't start you in the Temple of Trials.

How did I do?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Path of Exile is worth playing through once.

And it's free!

And it's a better ARPG than Pillars of Eternity.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
-NWN Vanilla had a pretty good main theme
-Two Worlds 2 let you organically fuck about with all the spells. It had no purpouse but it was the most fun thing about the game.
-Risen 2 had lots of funny dialogue
-Fable is easy on the eyes
-Amalur had T&A galore

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Nier Automata had a decency of warning you that it's going to force you to play the same game again.

Mikeal

Arcane
"Dark Souls" has nice design of armors and weapons.
"Neverwinter Nights 1" has a lot of skills, classes, attributes and ability to change into dragon with high level spells was pretty sweet.
"Requital: Revenge of Gray Dog" has nice atmosphere and interesting world.
Heroine of "GODS: Lands of Infinity" has really good armor.
Crisis mechanic in Numa-Numa is neat idea.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom