Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just want to say that criticizing Skyrim’s UI is a little like finding fault with the deck chair arrangements on the titanic.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Desire for sales is the one true driving force of decline.
That's all or nothing rethoric. Just because a developer shouldn't compromise his principles to atrract a bigger audience doesn't mean that his numbers reflect all his target audience. I lost count of how many times I saw "grognards" over here buying ridicuously expensive Bethesda games on release, whereas, let's say, RPG Watch was promoting real cRPGs. I'm not saying that you do that, but other people do.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well there should be, pardon me for using this word, balance between putting sales in front of everything and selling your home and gf's kidney (or whole gf to Arabian sheikhs) so that you can pay wages and implement drying as feature.

Which is dilemma Black Geyser devs might or might not have faced. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Exactly, it’s an arrogant and territorial attitude that only makes even more difficult to attract new players.

Fuck new sales
Fixed.

Desire for sales is the one true driving force of decline.

Glad to have you onboard, Comrade. Just on time for May 1 too.

That is true,my birthday is just around the corner.

2house2fly

Magister
How about Mr. Sawyer two of us make a deal, eh?

RPGs will evolve into action visual novels you desire when you evolve your choice of transport from bike to at least a scooter if car might be few evolutionary steps too high for you.

What's that I hear? B-b-but bikes are bikes, losing all things that make them bikes and makes driving them unique experience can't be made up by only keeping their name and wheels. It will simply be different and no longer a bike.

Mr. Josh, you're proving yourself to be too resistant to change. Get on with the times, at least install autopilot, nitro and engine on that traditional, archaic bike of yours.
The people on this forum belong in asylums.

Parabalus

Arcane
I just want to say that criticizing Skyrim’s UI is a little like finding fault with the deck chair arrangements on the titanic.

Particularly since anyone playing Skyrim on PC mods it.

Even here on the Codex people flame the QoL improvments of Beamdogs EE games (loading times, level drain rescribing, mouse, area loot, journal, etc. ) since it makes the game less "hardcore". There is so much else to criticize about the EEs (and their business practices) but people fixate on the improvements, seemingly to earn old-school cred.
I think some players (myself included) are biased by confusing the game with the developers. If we (hate) like the image they present, we will (hate) praise their games no matter what. I can’t express enough how annoying those Larian updates look to me, but most players love Swen Vincke’s figure, he is charismatic. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of SJW types that despise their target audience, well, good luck trying convince them in an objective manner of your superior design because they don’t give a fuck.

That being said, there is also something to be said about the relationship between the developers’ personalities and personal believes and their design approaches. Swen’s games reflect his mindset: a humorous writing that don’t take itself seriously, puts replayability over challenge, etc., whereas let’s say, Vault Dwellers games are dry as a ice and cut all your “I want to be free” bullshit. Maybe you can make also a genealogy here and extract how their values affect their design approaches.

Twas a simpler time before twatter.

Beamdog is a particularly good example since none of their content is too egregious by itself, but they started the fire themselves by publicly preaching the SJW. That one line on a minor NPC would have just been funny otherwise and gone unnoticed.
Harebrained in Battletech with the pronouns is similar, most people would just chuckle at "They" and not think twice about it, but they make a big deal and draw attention to it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Harebrained in Battletech with the pronouns is similar, most people would just chuckle at "They" and not think twice about it, but they make a big deal and draw attention to it.
Kiva did, not HBS. Unfortunately, they cracked down much too late (a few days before release, that "personal" twitter account was locked and all the tweets purged).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You know, the fun thing about Skyrim's shit-tier consolized interface is that Morrowind is this game's predecessor and Morrowind had a GREAT fucking interface.

But dumbing down and the reduction of the interface to something more casual turned it into shit.

I'd argue Morrowind's interface was awful by all accounts. Not being able to see the names of items from the get go is terrible, IMO.

Parabalus

Arcane
Kiva did, not HBS. Unfortunately, they cracked down much too late (a few days before release, that "personal" twitter account was locked and all the tweets purged).

Isn't he (one of) the (balance?design?) leads and had "working @HBS on BATTLETECH" on there, so "personal" like you said? According to Kodex experts in the Battletech thread THEY opinion is moderate for HBS standards, iirc - do they only removed it because of the backlash.

Not really a fan of these purity tests myself, whatever the direction.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
According to Kodex experts in the Battletech thread his opinion is moderate for HBS standards
The lead, yes, but this requires a [citation needed]. At least one better than "the studio was founded by Jews" or "this ex-employee said this."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
According to Kodex experts in the Battletech thread his opinion is moderate for HBS standards
The lead, yes, but this requires a [citation needed]. At least one better than "the studio was founded by Jews" or "this ex-employee said this."
Screenshot_2018_4_29_Kiva_Maginn_Lead_Designer_Harebrained_Schemes_Linked_In.png

Screenshot_2018_4_29_Battle_Tech_Credits_Windows.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat, that's not in dispute. What is is if everyone at HBS is like that or worse.
That is not much of despite,you just have to play the game to see that they are. It is not like kiva owns the company and everyone have to listen to him. If the bosses agreed with all the sjw bullshit then they are. If they didn't support that kind of shit they could have just kicked the faggot out. Of course there are people that disagree with all this shit,but they are silent. The game is evidence enough for the studio.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

RPGs can become much more “radical” but hardcore players are “resistant to change”, says Obsidian

Josh Sawyer, design director at Pillars of Eternity and Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian, would like to see the RPG genre evolve radically beyond its current state.

Stats and combat systems shouldn’t define the role-playing game, said Sawyer, although he admitted he has been complicit in creating games that stick to an accepted template.

“The hardcore RPG audience is very traditional,” said Sawyer at Reboot Develop this week, discussing the evolution of genres.

“Fans tend to skew towards the more hardcore cases and they tend to be fairly resistant to change. I don’t want to paint too broad of a stroke there but RPGs can be a lot more than we have done with them so far. There’s much more than we can do and its much more radical.

“I’m also contributing to the problem,” he added. “Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are very traditional role playing games. But the genre can go in a number of different directions it’s just a matter of framing the project size and things that meet up in the same place.”

pillars_of_eternity_2_deadfire_header-1152x570.jpg

For Sawyer, role-playing games are defined by the player’s ability to alter the storyline of the game through his or her actions, rather than the amount of stat tweaking or hit points a player delivers in combat.

“So many games use RPG elements, stat progression and characteristics that are defined by those in RPGs. I start to question about whether that is the heart and soul of what a role-playing game is about,” he said.

“The way that I work on role-playing games, they tend to be more about playing a character that has a range of personalities and a way of going through a story that changes that story in a very significant way. The amount to which things like statistics or combat systems interact with that, really can be much more fluid.

He pointed to Bethesda’s success with Fallout and The Elder Scrolls games as examples of a developer taking role-playing games in a different direction.

“The traditionalists probably get angry about this stuff, but Bethesda’s RPGs are very different from isometric RPGs.

“They’re much more action orientated, much more focused on the immersive experience. That shows there’s more room for RPGs to grow than just to be what they were 20 years ago. It’s really a matter of finding an audience that matches up with that,” he added.

Source

Dear Sawyer i could comment this affirmation in many manners but i will streamline it so could be understood and apreciated also by a younger mainstream audience.

Go... Fuck.... Yourself.

Big Wrangle

Black Geyser will evolve the genre by finally being the RPG equivalent of The Room in terms of writing.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

This idiot would think that life is strange is an rpg according to what he has declared... Sawyer step aside... Seems to me you lost your sanity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This idiot would think that life is strange is an rpg according to what he has declared... Sawyer step aside... Seems to me you lost your sanity.
Josh loves walking sims and doesn't care about their lack of gameplay. A walking sim with role playing is a role playing game to him, yes.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
How does people like that get hired? Idk maybe I am a bigot but having a man dressed as a woman in an interview among others candidates would seriously try my objectivity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How does people like that get hired? Idk maybe I am a bigot but having a man dressed as a woman in an interview among others candidates would seriously try my objectivity.
Not if you are a man dressed in animal costume. There is liberal scum everywhere this days.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kiva used to be Kevin, and didn't transition until Battletech was in mid-development. Boy what a painful surprise that must have been for all of them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Kiva used to be Kevin, and didn't transition until Battletech was in mid-development. Boy what a painful surprise that must have been for all of them.
Boy what a painful surprise that must have been for all the backers that expected a decent game.

Cael

Arcane
Beamdog is a particularly good example since none of their content is too egregious by itself, but they started the fire themselves by publicly preaching the SJW. That one line on a minor NPC would have just been funny otherwise and gone unnoticed.
Agreed. There is actually nothing in the GAME that made that person a tranny in Siege of Dragonspear. Seriously, all she said was she was raised as a boy, which happens in some cultures in real life. Yes, she went into the typical new age shit of "each syllable of my name means something in some old language", but that can be easily dismissed as a young kid trying to impress a known hero. In fact, I think there is a response to that that was along the lines of "O-kay... That was creepy. I'll be going now." It was cuckdog that specifically spelt out that she was a tranny, which changed the way that turned that conversation was read into "Hi! I'm, a tranny!"

What made the HBS case worse was that on top of the pointing out of the pronouns and obvious sjw :incloosive: spam (the muslim was half the Inner Sphere out of place, for example; and no blondes allowed when the Davions were right next door, as another), Kevin had MULTIPLE twits attacking males and telling them to basically fuck off and they are not allowed (where was never specified). The guy is obviously seriously unhinged, and keeping him on the team is a good sign of what HBS was aiming for. And then they suspended everything just before launch, a sure sign that they KNOW Kevin would do apeshit and affect sales and that was their way to prevent him from doing public things. There was just too many factors and "coincidental" occurrences during the last few months of the HBS game to conclude that alphabet soup preaching and outright deceit was not intentional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom