Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes early Ultimas were also great in that regard but I want the same thing with more visual fidelity.

And just confirms what I said, we haven't seen that kind of thing in a very long time.

Cael

Arcane
Yes early Ultimas were also great in that regard but I want the same thing with more visual fidelity.

And just confirms what I said, we haven't seen that kind of thing in a very long time.
I know. There seems to be a movement in the RPG sphere where sci-fi stuff is anathema to fantasy RPG. I have seen people complain about crystals being in D&D because crystals are sci-fi and not fantasy. Ditto with psi.

That said, from what little I have read about Pathfinder, it has a nation that is centred on a crashed alien spaceship and it has some weird alien technologies. Emphasis on the word "little" there. I am not into Pathfinder, so don't know much about it except it is trying to be DnD3.75.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Can you blow a hole in the wall if the door is locked in this innovative Rpg?

You play as a police detective, so I imagine your superiors would not be pleased about the property damage and presumably an officer of the law has better ways to knock down a door. good question, though.

summoning Kasparov and Marat Sar... avengers, assemble!
They should give special concessions if you constantly have an average of 80% or more in work performance, so you can roleplay as the hardass cop who gets results, but often causes massive amounts of collateral damage. Then the police chief can constantly be exasperated with you, threaten to kick you out if you don't wise up, but never actually fire you, other than take your badge and gun, and put you in forced freeroam and off the beat every few missions because you've become too much of a loose cannon.
I am so naming my toon Martin Riggs if that is the case :D

Or Sledge Hammer.
I have serious reservations for anyone who would hire a man named "sledgehammer" to be an officer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have serious reservations for anyone who would hire a man named "sledgehammer" to be an officer.
Regrets were had.
latest

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
RPGs don't need to evolve, they need to go back to D&D 2nd Edition Era.

Convoluted combat rules are designed to keep out the normies you morons.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
RPGs don't need to evolve, they need to go back to D&D 2nd Edition Era.

Convoluted combat rules are designed to keep out the normies you morons.

You're wasting your breath with this one.

In the days of Twitch and idiocracy even gamers consider it a plus if a game manages to attract the average moron. I don't get it, but there it is. The game design school thinking: more players = good game. Because you can't form your own opinions, therefore you need the approval of the masses.
In the same category as those who want to balance single-player games like multiplayer games.

And for the developers it's the eternal seach for the holy fucking grail: lol my gaem is totally complex but accessible to anyone! Or, for the RPG version: my RPG gaem is old-school but with modern sensibilities!

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I am so naming my toon Martin Riggs if that is the case :D

Or Sledge Hammer.
Surname was Hammer :D His father was Jack.

:D :D :D

HHAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!! (after the nuke)
This does not feel immersive
Sergeant Sledgehammer and Colonel Teacup sounds like a nice duo.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I now want this game because setting-crossing is awesome.

Gibmedat Wizardry 8 style of "spacefaring races land on fantasy planet, swords and magic meet rocket launchers and spaceships" kind of shit, it's been way too long since we've seen something like this and I crave it so hard.
Only when done well,the MM games did it the best for me. PoE did it really bad.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gibmedat Wizardry 8 style of "spacefaring races land on fantasy planet, swords and magic meet rocket launchers and spaceships" kind of shit, it's been way too long since we've seen something like this and I crave it so hard.

Ahem, let's not forget about the game that's Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, and Xenial.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ahem, let's not forget about the game that's Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, and Xenial.
:salute: The game that is a true incline and the best RPG from the last year. ELEX is divine! I even think of replaying it again:incline:.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The issue for me and many others (not EVERYone but you should learn by the time you're 10 that you can't please everyone and thus shouldn't even try) with the stats aren't stats themselves but how they're represented and utilized. UI, smooth learning curve, effective, fun and barely noticable tutorial and clarity of mechanical systems - all these things matter. Constatly work on improving these segments of your RPG signiture and you'll get with right budget (not peanuts) and marketing (not interview on Rpg Watch) a game - RPG- with stats- a game that's RPG and has dreaded stats that will be played by millions.

Fully agree. RPGs have two main objectives to evolve towards:

- Being much better.
- Being much easier to understand while sacrficing none of their complexity.
Yes to being much better.
No need of the second objective at all. RPG are easy to understand as they are. Always were. Who cares about morons wanting to play - there are games and whole genres for them already. No need for RPG developers wasting time on this shit.

Lhynn

Arcane
No rpg ever made is more complex than fifa life mode or football manager, probably true for other similar games in other sports that reach mainstream nontheless. Tbh the efforts to simplify it only hurt the genre.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No need of the second objective at all. RPG are easy to understand as they are. Always were. Who cares about morons wanting to play - there are games and whole genres for them already. No need for RPG developers wasting time on this shit.

That you consider "appropiately conveying information to the player" (essentially what I'm saying by "making easier to understand) as something that only morons would benefit from is, frankly, disturbing.

Big Wrangle

In my RPG I will evolve the genre by making each mouse click account for a step, resulting in a more complex role-playing experience.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Bullshit ! Best thing for any crpg is isometric perspective, Tyranny, Poe, F1/2, BG , Diablo like engine , and what is most important a GREAT STORY plus NPC's and C&C resort big enough to hold your balls for at least 50h of gameplay.
Im sick with all that sandbox crap.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

That you consider "appropiately conveying information to the player" (essentially what I'm saying by "making easier to understand) as something that only morons would benefit from is, frankly, disturbing.
Except that 99% of CRPGs already "convey the information to the player" appropriately enough. This isn't even a major problem*, let alone some important goal towards which crpg need to evolve.
What is disturbing is that you think it is.

*at most the question of better UI in some particular games, but certainly not an issue the whole genre is facing. You invented a problem that isn't there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom