Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Satellite Reign pre-alpha gameplay footage released

Discussion in 'Tacticular News & Content' started by Whisky, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: 5 Lives Studios; Kickstarter; Satellite Reign

Satellite Reign has received its first pre-alpha preview footage, which can be seen above.

Bear in mind that this is pre-alpha, everything is subject to change.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The optimist in me says..
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  3. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Hmm, looks like syndicate with an awful lot of cover shooting.
    [​IMG]
    The gameplay will most likely be refined, at the moment it has a weird 1990s RTS vibe, but the city itself looks good.

^ Top  
  4. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    they gotta get rid of that god-awful camera-wobbling

^ Top  
  5. Misconnected Learned

Misconnected
    Parrots:
    1990s RTS vibe? My first thought was Dawn of War 2, just with added slow and jitter.

^ Top  
  6. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    popamole sticky cover shootouts. classes. doesn't feel like syndicate at all.
    yup. definitely.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  7. tyrannosaurus rex Unwanted Douchebag! Shitposter

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Parrots:
    wat. it has classes, sticky cover and friggin abilities, just like dow2.

^ Top  
  9. tyrannosaurus rex Unwanted Douchebag! Shitposter

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    Bold is the kneejerk based upon the observations made in the non bold. Popamole, I do not think it means what you think it means.

^ Top  
  10. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Parrots:
    more like you don't know what popamole means. syndicate had no sticky cover, thus no popping out of it or popping moles popping out of their cover ergo no popamole. it was very shoot'em up, but not popamole.

^ Top  
  11. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah, hugely different. Instead Syndicate had popacorner. And also cover, 'cept you couldn't crouch behind it. But that's why you had the meat shields.

But anyway, hopefully the cover at least will be destructible (or enemy has guns that shoot through it).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Parrots:
    you would need enemies that actually hide behind corners for that, not goons that run straight at you then just stand there firing while your zerg swarm of armed civs takes them apart.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. tyrannosaurus rex Unwanted Douchebag! Shitposter

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    This is not an FPS, this is an overhead Tactical Sqad game. The same rules don't apply. Are you saying they should do away with cover? Instead your men should stand there and tank 500 bullets before going down?
    They aren't Medieval ninjas. Cover is an essential part of fighting with guns.

It doesn't mean it's going to devolve into :popamole: ad infinitum.

^ Top  
  14. Dead Guy Arbiter

Dead Guy
    Parrots:
    No, they're not some pussy ninjas. They're fucking Cyborgs. Chest V3 is the only cover they need.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  15. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I don't know why they brought back minigun if they are going for cover shooting. Also, I hope there will be degrading/piercable cover?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Syndicate Wars already had destructible environment so I really do hope so.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Direwolf Arcane

Direwolf
    Parrots:
    From the gameplay point of view, cover sucks, but from logical point of view, you would want to hide behind something in a firefight.

^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What is the problem with cover (except that we have it in every game nowadays)? It gives some purpose to flanking, making positionning a bit more involved than bringing more people in range of the closest enemies than the opponent can, which sounds like a good thing. It was done rather nicely in DoW2 and Company of Heroes IMO. The problem was with boring bosses and their 30000 HPs, and linear maps that were a succession of mini skirmishes and not a single large scale dynamic battle. Cover was certainly not a problem in the formula.

^ Top  
  19. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Cover only sucks when it produces popamole gameplay, which is only a problem in FPS where you are essentially just one guy vs. many and any sort of flanking is irrelevant.

After some though, it seems that the style is there (which for me was the only thing Syndicate had going), but it is going to be a totally different game. Which is good.
    80% of original Syndicate gameplay is: concentrate your RMB clicks of death on the biggest threat at hand, stunlock until dead.

Suppressive fire? One can hope.

They have reached the pledge goal for destructible environments on kickstarter, the question is how far will they go with it.
    With some luck, they'll figure out some sort of middle ground between using the cover to achieve some tactical depth and not throw the whole system out of the window with graviton gun equivalents which would make all cover obsolete.

^ Top  
  20. MurkyShadow Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I'll be curious if there will be surprises like the satellite attack in Rome in Syndicate Wars, followed by the robo spiders of doom.
    Having the house blasted away over your head, in which you were hiding was also a nice reminder to never feel too save.
    Also, I can't remember how often I used nuclear hand-grenades in questionable plans.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    That's what normal machine guns are for. Miniguns are for delivering as many projectiles per second as it's possible. For example to chew up a cyborg or destroy a car in a few seconds.
    They already didn't make sense when they got nerfed in Syndicate Wars where cars could withstand ridiculous amount of fire.

Actually, it was usually set IPA levels to maximum and find a good spot and watch your agents do the killing. Or find a good spot and burn enemies with flamethrowers. It was mostly about positioning to avoid getting overwhelmed.
    Enemy agents usually had homogeneous equipment so there wasn't biggest threat at hand to pick.

By the way, I made a video of Syndicate in action:
    https://archive.org/details/DigitalSlaughter-Syndicate_001
    It shows effects of minigun on vehicles.

^ Top  
  22. Delbaeth Learned

Delbaeth
    Parrots:
    I hope that some mind control devices or propaganda will be available in the game.

^ Top  
  23. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    Parrots:
    This looks great.

^ Top  
  24. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Sound is not so great, though. Developers are forgetting the value of sharp, violent sounds. The same happened with X-Com 3.

^ Top  
  25. Florian Gheorghe Savant

Florian Gheorghe
    Parrots:
    I didin't know there was a spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars. Thank you Kickstarter and thank you Unity!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)