Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SATAN SATAN SATAN-Sol. Infernum PBEM MrStone gets upset win!

MisterStone

Arcane
OK, I contacted Trash about a Sollium infernum PBEM game. I figure a game with four human players should be fun; I can host it on my newly minted Yahoo email account created for this purpose.

I have never played PBEM though a client like this before in my life, so bear with me. In order to host the game I need emails of the other players. So I guess the best way to handle this is: if you want to play, post in the thread then PM the email address to me. When we get 2 more people we shall start.

I'm planning on using Great Rivers Map, uncommon Places of Power, and long length (20 conclave tokens?). If you have other suggestions, let me know.

I'm playing from Pacific time (UTC - 8), so depending on where other people are located this could take some time to finish. Keep this in mind if you sign up!

Heechee

Liturgist
I'm interested, sending e-mail. Long time lurker, if that's ok.

MisterStone

Arcane
heechee1 said:
Long time lurker, if that's ok.

Trust me, that is probably more of a testament to your maturity and good taste than anything else...

OK Heechee is on board, I can start when I have one more archdevil on board. Heechee suggested we might want to make the game "normal" length or shorter; I guess it sounds reasonable since otherwise it will take a long damn time to finish. I will make it a "normal" game (15 tokens IIRC) unless someone else wants to argue otherwise.

mahdi

Liturgist
Yeah well the Codex is full of 15 yr old pussies anyways. I'd love to play with you guys as I've played the demo 6 or 7 times since I discovered it, but I'm USian you see, no money. :( If you're still playing in a month or so I'm game.

mahdi

Liturgist
Also, quick questions for those with the full game as I haven't read the manual.

Is there some reason why I find ichor hard to come by? Is it rarer than other resources or am I just unlucky?

Also, I got Vendetta with some archfiends a few times. How come when I check their status in diplomacy screen it still says "Vendetta Needed: 3?" How do you get blood feud dammit?! These bastards keep cutting one hex wide swaths through my land because I can't get used to/remember to claim cantons with my legions at the beginning.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trash said:
Well, that's an overwhelming response so far. :)

I would gladly join but no money for full version. Liked the demo, but seriously its kinda expensive for a computer board game.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have the game and would like to join, never tried PBEM before though so please explain what I have to do.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
silver crowaxe said:
I have the game and would like to join, never tried PBEM before though so please explain what I have to do.

Send a pm with your email adress to Misterstone. He'll explain.

mahdi said:
Is there some reason why I find ichor hard to come by? Is it rarer than other resources or am I just unlucky?

As far as I know you're just unlucky with the dice rolls.

mahdi said:
Also, I got Vendetta with some archfiends a few times. How come when I check their status in diplomacy screen it still says "Vendetta Needed: 3?" How do you get blood feud dammit?! These bastards keep cutting one hex wide swaths through my land because I can't get used to/remember to claim cantons with my legions at the beginning.

You need to claim Vendetta on a specific archfiend's ass 3 times for that to happen.

MisterStone

Arcane
OK Silver Croweaxe is on board, so we got four gamers. Let's get this bitch started!

Edit: Dammit Trash, give me your email! :twisted:

I guess I will make one AI player for the rest of us to sodomize while we prepare to start aggressing on each other...

MisterStone

Arcane
OK game set up, invites sent. Lets hope this moves smoothly. Does anyone want to document the game as it progresses?

MisterStone

Arcane
Well, I clicked on "invite players" in the damn game setup menu. If you don't see an email in like 15 minutes let me know. Anyone else gotten it yet?

MisterStone

Arcane
Soooo.... apparently SI doesnt actually have any kind of rudimentary client or anything to make the PBeM process easier. Anyway, refer to the manual about PBeM just to make sure we are all on board here...

1. The Host creates the game on his computer via the Start New Game menu. He sets all game parameters. A unique name is assigned to the game, which becomes the name for the main game file as well as the folder where the file is located. Multiplayer save games are stored in:
Windows: My Documents\Solium Infernum Game\MultiPlayerSaves\
The Host also enters his own and each player’s email address or identifying name.

2. The Host then invites the players to join by clicking the Invite button. Individual invitation files are created, and these are named after the players’ email addresses/names then placed in the folder identified above. The host player sends the invitation files via email to the players. These invitation files have .inv file suffixes.

3. The receiving players then place their .inv invitation files in the “_NewGameStarts” folder, which is located in their MultiPlayerSaves folder. Each player starts Solium Infernum, selects Multiplayer, then selects Load Game. The name of the new game appears as a file in the File Select Screen, and these players should then left-click the appropriate name and then press Load. The game prompts them to select a pre-existing Avatar. Afterwards, the game prompts a dialogue box that suggests sending their .trn file to the host. Clicking OK dismisses the dialogue.
4. Each player now finds a new folder named after this game within their MultiPlayerSaves folder. Here, a newly created file -- which is named after the player’s email/name and ends with .trn -- is stored. The player emails this file to the host.
5. After receiving each player file the host places all .trn files in the game’s named folder. The host then starts Solium Infernum, selects Multiplayer, then selects Load Game. He clicks the game’s name and then clicks Load. A Host Control Interface appears which lists the status of all players. If all .trn files are present, the Start Game button is activated. The host clicks the Start Game button to (of course) start the game.
6. The Host now sees his view of the map and he is able to create his turn orders. He may either do so now or simply save the game, exit, and return later. Before the next turn can be processed, the host emails the main game file to the other players and then receives their completed .trn files in return. The name of the main game file will be the game’s name followed by the word “main.” Its suffix is .sav.
7. Players receive the main game file from the host via email and then place this file in the folder identified above. They load the game via their multiplayer load interface. They complete their orders. To finish, they click End Turn to save. Afterwards, the players exit and then email their .trn file (which has been newly created, and which resides in the named game folder) back to the host.
8. Once the host receives all turn files, he puts them into the game folder then clicks Process Turn under the Host Control Interface. The host should ensure that he has finished issuing orders and responding to any turn log message before clicking this button, else: he loses his chance.
9. The game creates a new main turn file. The host distributes this through email to the players.
10. This process continues until the game is finished.
Note: Players may be turned over to the control of the AI by clicking on the “Human Player” label/button next to the player’s name. This process is final though once the turn is processed and CANNOT be undone later during the game.
Note: In the case that the host player is eliminated from play, the host player will still need to collect process and disseminate the game files. The host will simply be unable to create any orders for his own eliminated position but may view the game board

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
All players should put the invite file Misterstone send them in the following directory.

Windows: My documents/ Solium Infernum Game/ Multiplayersaves

Then load SI and choose multiplayer. Load a game and Codexianhellthrowdown should show up. Load it and choose an archfiend to play. The game saves your file as (username).trn Send this to misterstone. Then let all hell break loose.

EDIT: Misterstone was faster. :oops:

MisterStone

Arcane
Can anyone recommend a tidy and easy to use email client for this? Web-based email just isn't going to cut it anymore...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom