Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sanitarium

Ivan

Arcane
Not sure if this has its own thread but I just finished my first playthrough of this. Definitely one of the most thoughtful narrative driven games I've experienced. In many ways it felt like I was playing the point and click adv game version of Silent Hill. I loved how each chapter of the game revealed more and more of Max's upbringing, marriage, and professional background. The only chapter I didn't care for at all was the very last one (Aztecs)? Not only were the puzzles there uninteresting, but I found very few threads that revealed more about Max. That aside, the team did a fantastic job with the look and sound of the game. The voice acting is awfully bad, but it has its charm. My main gripes are with typical issues that plague these types of games for me, inconsistent interactive objects, pixel hunting for items, finicky/unresponsive targets to use items on. Definitely recommended and a story that I will keep picking and poking at in my head for some time. Very well done. :salute:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Glad you liked it. We do have a retrospective review: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9467

The lack of consistency comes from the game being several mini-games developed separately and then made to fit together, so some levels are mediocre, while others stay with you long after you have finished.

I'd add that the nearer you get to the end, the less mysterious the story gets. And mystery was the precisely reason the "vignettes" had so much atmosphere.
After you understand the plot the episodes feel stale (it doesn't help that the weakest ones are placed near the end iirc), because they should have incorporated that sense of growing player comprehension in their puzzles and narrative...

GarrisonFjord

One of my favourites too.

Don't remember all of it well anymore,
but I think each section had its charm.
(And the variety is something I greatly appreciate.)

The children town is the one part I've never forgotten.
(Even the "red herring" reference.)

Also think the final puzzle was a good one.

lightbane

Arcane
This game I wouldn't mind getting a remaster, assuming nothing of the plot or the content is altered/censored.

I remember some people were unhappy that the game had a good ending, against all odds. IMO it was quite good already, the protagonist suffered enough already and he deserved a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom