Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Samorost 3

Aenra

:kingcomrade: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Infinitron, had completely forgotten about them!

edit: i still think of this smilie as :let'sgetdowntoit: :)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

This is on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=556255070

ETA is early 2016.

Samorost 3 is full-length adventure game from indie studio Amanita Design, the makers of Machinarium and Botanicula.

It's a sequel to small adventure games Samorost (2003) and Samorost2 (2005), this time however, it's a much bigger and more ambitious project. It's already 5 years in develeopment. PC & Mac release is planned for the beginning of 2016.

One day, the little space gnome finds a strange flute (magical, of course) that fell down from the sky, and with its help he is able to build a new spaceship, explore 5 different planets and 4 moons, solve many mysteries, and also find out where the flute is coming from.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:desu:

Is gameplay any good in the previous games? I'll probably buy regardless though, cuz damn that looks nice

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:desu:

Is gameplay any good in the previous games? I'll probably buy regardless though, cuz damn that looks nice
The first two were short and simple point and click games. The puzzles made sense in the game's world as far as I remember, so I imagine this will be similar, just with more content.

RuySan

Augur
Machinarium had some brilliant puzzles. For me it's easily one of the best adventures of all time.

The rest of their stuff looks great, but it lacks something in the gameplay department

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

John Walker whines a bit about puzzle difficulty - sounds good: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/24/samorost-3-review/

Wot I Think: Samorost 3
John Walker on March 24th, 2016 at 5:00 pm.

samo9.jpg

From the team most famous for Machinarium, Aminita Design, comes the third game in the Samorost series. Don’t worry if you’ve never heard of the first two – they were both tiny Flash games. Samorost 3 [official site] is a full-length, full-screen adventure that requires no prior knowledge. How does the adventure/puzzle game hold up at this scale? Here’s wot I think:

Samorost is where it all began for Amanita Design, and this return to the series, following their huge raise in reputation and awareness with Machinarium and Botanicula, is a stunning labour of love. Phenomenally beautiful, exquisitely animated, and constantly delightful and joyous, this is a lovely thing. But it’s also the hardest game they’ve made so far, and I’m not sure that’s always for the best.

Samorost 1 is a ten minute web game that introduced the main character, a little chap in a white onesy and dangly bobble hat – apparently only ever known as “Gnome” – who lives on a small organic/metallic island floating in space. By Samorost 2, things lasted closer to half an hour, and the art, animation and music had improved by considerable degrees (although the closing puzzle was a disaster). Samorost 3 makes both look like doodles.

It is without question one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever seen, maintaining that collage look of machinery and nature, photography (I think) and wonderfully rendered artwork, with cartoon characters within. However, this time out the main character, his dog, and a few other peculiar creatures, are more carefully designed. They’re textured and detailed in a way that makes them less awkwardly different from the world. But the real magic happens when you meet the game’s animals, flora and strange bearded denizens, who are the most astonishingly wonderfully animated creatures. Each scene is alive with detail, hidden extras to discover, and esoteric puzzles to solve by interacting with everything you can find.

samo5.jpg

At the start, a horn descends from the sky outside our friend’s house. When he picks it up he discovers that it can be used to listen to specific objects and animals. Some of these noises are mad burbling fun, but others are little tunes that Gnome can play back (thankfully automatically – despite the hefty musical focus, there’s no core puzzle that requires playing back tunes) on the horn, causing animated thought bubbles to appear giving you hints about what you need to do, or initiating events in the scene. Via the horn you learn of a terrible series of events that occurred on other floating worlds nearby, where some sort of guardian person went rogue and began using a terrifying three-headed metallic monster to destroy local beauty and eat the souls of the land. That’s my interpretation of the wordless animations at least. So best put that right.

Gnome begins his journey by working out a new way to get off his home land (the red rocket was destroyed in Samorost 2, of course), which involves a perplexing series of puzzles gathering various items, then building a ship out of an enormous inflatable mushroom thing, and various bits and bobs stripped from the surroundings. Once that opening sequence is complete, you can land on any other islands within your current orbit – a simple mechanical restriction that prevents your flying off to the end of the game at the start.

samo7.jpg

Each new land is a sumptuous bounty. New creatures, new sounds, new puzzles, and perhaps most significantly in this game, new music to hear. Amanita have always used Tomáš “Floex” Dvořák for their games, and he’s never been short of amazing, but this time his work is on another level. The soundtrack is core to the way you play, so many puzzles rely on crafting songs by clicking on characters, building harmonies, or hearing music on completion. And none of them requires any musical ability on your part.

There is a sequence in which a smattering of maggoty-termite creatures are trotting back and forth across a series of logs. It becomes apparent that you can interact with them, turn them around, even trip them up. Or, if you wait until they’re stood on their back legs, have them start singing. A song so beautiful it moistened my eyes. Click on more of them and they sing in chorus. It’s a throwaway puzzle, an achievement-thing is the only reward, and it was so completely wonderful. I sat there and just listened, completely enchanted. And that really captures the atmosphere and effort of so much of Samorost 3. I’ve written this review with the closing tune looping throughout, and am not sure how I’ll ever manage to switch it off.

samo6.jpg

But as I said at the start, this is a difficult game, too. Surprisingly so, bearing in mind how accessible Machinarium and Botanicula were. Like Machinarium, there’s an in-built walkthrough so you can’t ever get stuck, but then it also never feels good to get past a challenge that way. I confess I used this a few times throughout, because I was dumfounded as to what the game wanted me to do. Too often it was about returning to areas I thought already finished, or repeating the same action two or three times despite there being no clear indicator this would be necessary. Other times it was poor flagging of puzzles.

One particular puzzle stands out as utterly bemusing to me, where once you’ve gathered a few types of fruit, you’re supposed to guess which location is the place to drop them into a bunch of holes, and then start off on a genetic journey of cross pollinating the flowers they grow to see what new fruits are created, and then further cross-breeding these to try to reach a particular – er – root vegetable. It is by necessity experimental – there’s no way to know what will result – and as a consequence you end up having to retrace your steps to gather the original fruits again and again.

It’s so peculiar that the original fruits aren’t an endless supply, forcing you to re-complete previous puzzles to get them back, and then wildly guessing how to use them. Or opening up the walkthrough (which involves solving a very, very simple ‘puzzle’ – nothing like Machinarium’s daft system) to see solutions for that specific location. These, again, are wordless – pictorial guides that can often be obfuscated by extra details, but will generally get you through.

samo8.jpg

It’s not fair to tar too much of the game with this. Many puzzles are extremely pleasant to solve, lots of them depending upon fun exploration of what’s possible, making combinations of objects that replenish to see what happens, guessing at where a sequence is heading. Others are straightforward – redirecting pipes, using objects in your inventory, and so on.

One puzzle stands out from the rest, a truly gorgeous challenge that involves placing a series of eight cards in different orders, such that the drawings on each animate in response to the order they’re placed. You’re trying to hunt four different animals for a couple of stickmen, and improvising with the fire, pond, weapons and creatures is absolutely joyful. It’s a shame this device is only used once, early in the game – it would have been welcome to return at any point.

And you can’t stay mad even when bumping against one of the few frustrating sections. Samorost 3 is so bursting with life, so lovingly crafted, that it’s impossible not to adore. I cannot think of a game whose soundtrack comes close to this, and few that are so pretty. Gnome’s yelps of delight, or enthusiastic dances, or the way he sometimes says, “Hop!” when he jumps, are idiotically adorable. It’s so alive, so intricate, and so graceful.

I wonder if the difficulty will see it be a less celebrated game than the last two, but it really is a thing of beauty.

Samorost 3 is out today on Windows and Mac.

Lucky

Arcane
Eh, what? I gave this to a little relative and she's having no trouble at all - very accessible, in a good way. I'm having trouble seeing how anyone could rate it as difficult.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, what? I gave this to a little relative and she's having no trouble at all - very accessible, in a good way. I'm having trouble seeing how anyone could rate it as difficult.

And that's why John Walker isn't a very popular person on this forum.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

That's probably because she's a child who hasn't been conditioned to play games that lead you by the hand every step of the way.

I stumbled upon that insight (i.e. that modern gamers have been conditioned into their shit tastes) when I gifted Underrail and AoD to a British Steam friend of mine. He's spent almost all of his gaming lifetime playing proper hard competitive and cooperative first-person shooters, and had had little or no experience playing RPGs.

He didn't find Underrail difficult or "inaccessible" at all, and finished two playthroughs handily. He hasn't started in on AoD yet, but I'm sure he'll get around to it.

Lucky

Arcane
And that's why John Walker isn't a very popular person on this forum.

I'd gotten the impression that he was bad at games, but I wasn't expecting him to have more trouble than a preschooler. Unacceptable low quality standards.

That's probably because she's a child who hasn't been conditioned to play games that lead you by the hand every step of the way.

I stumbled upon that insight (i.e. that modern gamers have been conditioned into their shit tastes) when I gifted Underrail and AoD to a British Steam friend of mine. He's spent almost all of his gaming lifetime playing proper hard competitive and cooperative first-person shooters, and had had little or no experience playing RPGs.

He didn't find Underrail difficult or "inaccessible" at all, and finished two playthroughs handily. He hasn't started in on AoD yet, but I'm sure he'll get around to it.

Modern games have probably conditioned people against trying anything that's not instructed. It's like how they had to explicitly point out to journalists how you were able to interact with your environment in Divinity: Original Sin, because it's so common for that not to be the case nowadays that the idea of trying didn't occur to them. I've got relatives of all ages who enjoy playing a game from time to time but none of them are gamers, yet they almost always have less trouble beating games than most professionals I know. A preschooler though... I'm going to see if I can get a proper antediluvian to play this, maybe it's an age thing.

Lemming42

Arcane
This totally came by surprise. I remember Samorost 2 from way back when I played the flash demo of it. That artwork is absolutely off the chain.

"Simplistic" puzzles aren't necessarily a bad thing, so long as they're not completely obvious and let you work them out on your own. There's nothing inherently great about some of the more inscrutable puzzles from older adventure games.

V_K

Arcane
I mean that when a gaming media claims the puzzles are hard while a non-gaming one calls them simple and never impeding player's progress too much, that sends a rather mixed message. :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I mean that when a gaming media claims the puzzles are hard while a non-gaming one calls them simple and never impeding player's progress too much, that sends a rather mixed message. :D

Yeah, that gaming media is full of morons.

Lemming42

Arcane
Played this all last night, overall absolutely superb. The puzzles all have relatively logical solutions (except the music-based ones that I seem to have just fluked my way through), the paper scraps puzzle near the start being the highlight so far.

Anyway, thought I'd ask for advice/hints from anyone who's played it here (assuming anyone's finished it yet) rather than going to a walkthrough.
When you enter the tower with the three-headed robot on top from below, what the actual fuck are you supposed to do? I messed around with the furnace and got the dude to run upstairs but now I'm on the second floor of the tower and there's literally nothing I can do. Outside is blocked by the robot, can't go upstairs because the guy is there and downstairs just leads back out of the tower. Can't manipulate any objects other than the furnace which doesn't appear to do anything anymore. I'm betting it's a really painfully obvious thing I'm overlooking.

V_K

Arcane
Finally got to playing it. Samorost is basically proof that you don't have to get rid of gameplay for your game to be highly artistic and experimental (not just in terms of visuals, but interactions and sound design as well). I must be getting senile, but I even resorted to using the hint system a couple of times in the first half of the game. The second half either got much easier, or I just finally remembered how to play those games (been awhile since I last played a pure adventure).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom