Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Salvage] - Started working on a sidescrolling Action RPG

Naga

Literate
Hi there.

Just a short while ago, I started with a new game project. Looking at the gameplay, it's inspired mainly by Dragon's Crown. Running from left to right, smacking monsters, collecting loot, gaining experience and such. But on the other hand, I really like those big JRPGs with awesome worlds to explore and interesting stories. So I am also influenced by games like the Breath of Fire series and Final Fantasy XII. Especialy the setting will be something bright and fanatasy-themed like in BoF 3 & 4.
But, well... enough of the introdution. Let's get into detail here.

Gameplay

The most distinct aspect would be the perspective. It's sideview like a platformer. Think of Super Mario.
And while the game is supposed to be a RPG, there won't be classical turn-based battles, but real-time combat. Like mentioned before, think of Dragon's Crown. But because I like it fast and simple, I want to keep it more... simple. There won't be depth. Meaning, you can walk sideways, but not up or down. I think that will make it easier and help a lot with actually hitting your target. In Dragon's Crown, getting the location of your target right is a real issue. Especially with small flying enemies. Muramasa and Odin's Sphere, to name other titles by the same company, didn't feature depth either, and it worked flawlessly.

The game features a party, like most JRPGs do. So will will get to fight with a ridiculously large party consisting of five (FIVE?!) characters at the same time. Since it's action, you will get to control only a single one of them. The rest will be handled by AI. Because AI is always either poor or just doesn't do what you want, there will be simple customization like the gambit system in Final Fantasy XII. But, because it is necessary at times, since even adjusted AI sucks, you may switch your controlled character at any time by simply cycling through your party by the press of a button. Actually, two. Press the left or right shoulder button on your controller (or any assigned keys on your keyboard if you are too poor to afford one) to go back and forth in the list.

You will get skills, of course. You will learn more as the game goes on and can level them up by spending skill points. You can reset your skills as much as you want (probably in towns), because spending your points like an idiot and not being able to change anything sucks. It's also not simply the players fault if points are allotted poorly. If the description just doesn't make sense, how are you supposed to get what it does without simply trying it out? And forcing players to reload on try is just damn stupid. I know there are those guys who start to rage if you can do this. But people who like restrictions and living with consequences can simply not use the chance to reset their skill points. If I need to force you to enjoy a game, then that's sad and I don't really care.

And, yeah. I think going deeper into gameplay might make more sense as soon as I get some footage.

Story

There isn't really a mayor main plot. You start out in a village. The heroine gets picked up by an adventurer and they travel around to gather more teammates. Ultimately, you will be engaged by the highest god. He tell you to protect the world from a new evil. He promises absolution and a single wish granted for each of you. Because your party consists of egoistic assholes, you gladly accept.
You will basically wander around, helping people, slaying monsters, and experiencing the numerous sub plots. It's mainly character driven. Playing heroes and traveling the world as you do is all there is to it most of the time. There is a reason you do so, but the leader of your group won't tell you, because, of course, he is an egoistic asshole, too.

I want to make it interesting by throwing interesting characters at you. And incorporate those cheesy lines and tear jerking emotion-driven stupid dialogues you might know and love from shonen manga.

So, what is already done?

Okay, well, I haven't done much for now. Just simple controls, dialogue system and some sprites. Controls suck, so I will redo that. You can only walk around, jump and interact (e.g. talk to NPCs) anyway right now.
For now, I focus on creating graphics. I still got to figure out backgrounds and animation is giving me a hard time. Need to practice some more.
And because showing is nicer than talking, I'll throw in what i got for now:

Party_05_zpswdhl2a4n.png

That's the main party. From left to right: Val (tights wearing, dandy Archer), Martha (sword "summoning", bad tempered swordswoman; she's the heroine), Reshya (spear throwing, element controlling, grinning jerk), Myria (poisened dagger wielding healer; she's spitting potions to heal you) and Gunther (spell casting brawler; he's not a werewolf but a humanoid dog).
These are not finished and may even change. Unfortunately, no animations so far.

Also working on templates for random NPCs. I may focus on doing these for the time being. Just the generic village girl for now with some variation in outfits.

1_zpsrpfia3dh.png
2_zpst90ityt6.png
3_zps4znntecd.png
4_zpsezbnnqhu.png

I hope to get some gameplay working in the near future and some backgrounds to be able to show actual screenshots.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions of things you'd like to see in such a game?
There's some stuff I'd like to talk about, but let's save that for later.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I saw your post in the other thread and got here through your profile. I like your sense of proportion and color palette. I feel the big wolf's pose is a bit unnatural there, though, and I wonder if the woman with the big hips shouldn't favor one side to exaggerate her size.

Naga

Literate
Thank you very much for your kind words.
And, yes, I have to agree with you. The hips are even getting addressed already. I'll rework all of the sprites in the long run. But I've put the main cast on hold for the moment to get some practice on less important ones.
Also many thanks for pointing out the weird pose. That really didn't occur to me at all. Might not have been able to notice this by myself. =)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom