Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Salt And Sanctuary (2D "Souls" game)

Angthoron

Arcane
Anyone knows how to properly aim ranged attacks on k+m?
You can check the settings and select Mouse On or something like that, it'll let you aim your attacks with the cursor. Warning: It's also pretty confusing with melee weapons.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I ended up accidentally deleting my mage char and had to start over. On the plus side, I beat the opening boss with the mage this time around, I've gotten pretty good at it, only took 2 tries. Going through things /really/ quickly now, knowing the bosses and areas well really helps. Already got the 3rd brand and my magic is finally dealing decent damage, though it still feels a bit lacking compared to the two hander route. I've got lightning storm and ball now. The first isn't really that great; it looks impressive but it's basically just yet another slighty more reliable way to land lightning bolt, which doesn't do much damage. It can generally one shot small fry but that's about it. Ball lightning seems a bit more promising, it's the first spell since barrage to do more damage than the usual bolt. But barrage still does more damage than it, with longer range and a faster startup to boot. Ball might do better sustained damage vs a boss though, if I can manage the range. And the AoE is nice. Nearly have my devotion capped for the current faction, once I do I can switch to another and see if they have some more useful spells.

---

Arcane
Finally my whip build shows its benefit, just found an amazing "sword-whip", with awesome mixed combos:dance:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I tried my Thief again and it is frustratingly difficult. The dagger's reach is just so short that often when I'm doing jump attacks enemies can melee me out of the air without me even getting close to them. I'm wondering if I should stick it out until I can get to the point where I transmute a dagger to have a sword's reach (or something along those lines, I remember people talking about it) or just switch to a spear. The spear just has bad Dex scaling compared to the dagger.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nearly have my devotion capped for the current faction, once I do I can switch to another and see if they have some more useful spells.
Do you get to keep all the bonus items on rest that you get from maxing devotion when you switch to another? If no, what is the purpose of maxing one before switching?

Dyskolos

Cipher
I tried my Thief again and it is frustratingly difficult. The dagger's reach is just so short that often when I'm doing jump attacks enemies can melee me out of the air without me even getting close to them

You also can't stun lock in mid-air like seems to be the case with swords and, I'm assuming, other larger weapons. So their attack will hit and you'll trade blows, with yours always worth less. In my first start I got through three bosses with the dagger and it kept getting progressively more annoying since I'd so often overshoot on rolling past and then not have the reach to get even one shot in before they recovered.

I then restarted with a thief again but shaped towards swords this time. The damage scaling on the few I've seen is dex weighted anyway and if you look at the skill trees the dagger route allows a crossover with swords after level 2 (provided you take the first swords level) so you don't have to go out of your way to transition. Plus you can always grey pearl back the dagger points if you really want them - except the willpower is still nice for my build so far since I'm wearing nothing to keep under 25% and need the stamina for roll/attack/roll fights

Damned Registrations

Nearly have my devotion capped for the current faction, once I do I can switch to another and see if they have some more useful spells.
Do you get to keep all the bonus items on rest that you get from maxing devotion when you switch to another? If no, what is the purpose of maxing one before switching?
That faction keeps them (if you rest at one of their altars you'll get whatever bonus items you chose there) but the real purpose is unlocking their items/spells. Different factions sell different things.

---

Arcane
Guns are awesome. Iron ones' blacksmith sells a pistol once you gain 2 levels in that creed. They are more like shotguns, close range but wide spread and great damage. Also ammunitions are not so expensive. There are a couple of good combos that I can perform with the sword-whip and a gun. Muuuch better than crossbows (fortunately, they use the same skill in the tree):M

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'd so often overshoot on rolling past and then not have the reach to get even one shot in before they recovered.

Yeah, that happened to me with the Bronze Knights. I rolled past their attacks and I'd roll too far, so I'd have to run back by which time they have normally recovered.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was steamrolling all bosses with my dagger + poison combo and then I reach the Kraken Wyrm :negative:, his tail swipe always gets me in the end.

Visperas

Augur
Anyone knows how to properly aim ranged attacks on k+m?
You can check the settings and select Mouse On or something like that, it'll let you aim your attacks with the cursor. Warning: It's also pretty confusing with melee weapons.

Thanks, I'm gonna try that. I'm loving the game but the k+m controls aren't the best. Changing the Stats tabs is a nightmare and the Space as Jump button has a small delay... I'ts not as snappy as it should be.

---

Arcane
Was steamrolling all bosses with my dagger + poison combo and then I reach the Kraken Wyrm :negative:, his tail swipe always gets me in the end.
Little "cheat": if you equip a crossbow or a pistol in the second hand, when you are jumping you can hold the button to shoot and you will remain in the air for a few, waiting that the tail passes.

Dyskolos

Cipher

That fucking wyrm. He was taking almost no damage with my (slashing damage) sword so after a few tries I switch to the greatsword on a whim and he went down in a little over a minute - either basically stunlocked on the ground or hit as soon as he landed and taking off again without attacking at all.

that tree of man boss fight :retarded: and here i thought Dark Souls games have shitty puzzle bosses....

I dont get it. Sodden Knight &Queen of Smiles killed me more times than the rest of bosses combined :lol: Kraken Cyclop, Dragon and Alchemist are supposedly hard yet i killed them on my first try. I killed them all around lvl 20-30 than i got stuck in red hall of cages and somehow got there to the lvl 45 :lol:

---

Arcane
Lady of smiles is super easy with a shield, fuck, even with the simple metal buckler. You can parry all of her attacks and then you can safely hit her.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The hardest boss for me so far was the very first. Since him, though, I've beaten them all on the first try. The great hammer is an absurd win button. I upgraded that greatsword with a Japanese name to level 4, then realized that the level 1 unupgraded great hammer does way more damage.

I will sometimes switch to shield + Sword, but rarely have to as heavy armor + 8 estus flasks (or whatever they are called in this game) makes everything Trivial. Up to the boss Lady that has the Scythes on ropes that she whips you with while floating around (can't recall her name).

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Holy shit, wanted to get the achievement for the betrayer's guild, so very stupidly turned on my main guild without realizing the repercussions. Ended up with 24,000 salt worth of sin and stranded at the start of the game with all my fast travel nodes disabled. Had to grind for salt, then get my sin forgiven. Pretty exciting, actually. Ended up being the harded part of the game thus far as all my estus flasks were from guild loyalty, so most were taken. Everything was fine once I was forgiven, though.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, I just got the betrayer guild on my mage on NG+. It seems rather poorly thought out... you get access to all the spells right away, so there is little incentive to actually level up with them. Also, having now used literally every spell in the game, I can say with confidence- magic just isn't that good. You need a crazy amount of setup to even do more damage than melee, and even then, you're way more vulnerable because the casting is so slow, uses so much stamina, and then you need to spend time chugging flasks to get focus back so it's not even better damage over time in the long run. Not to mention many enemies are just resistant to all fucking magic making you a total gimp. Pretty sad all around. Greathammers do indeed seem totally OP, but even other melee options are at least pretty strong, mobile, and versatile in what kind of damage they can deal.

---

Arcane
Maybe a melee/magic hybrid build would be more viable.
Anyway, 15 hours and I'm only at the castle of storms lol.
I know, I die a lot :dealwithit:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finished. Got all achievements possible in a single playthrough (which means all but 1) and it took me 25 hours, although I did grind way more than was probably necessary just to satisfy my OCD urge for fully upgraded armor (I wanted to wear heavy armor while still being able to roll).

Heavy armor does suck at first, but once you get enough endurance to wear it and fully upgrade it it's great. Earlier on it's way easier to go for rolling and speed, though. I ended up going for a shield + two handed sword build, but ditched the shield half way through and never used it again. It's much, much, easier to just two hand a sword and wear what armor you can while staying under the fat roll thresh hold. However, it does still pay off to get your endurance to 50+ in order to eventually wear heavy armor (from what I've seen, unlike STR endurance doesn't have a soft cap, so you can increase it infinitely if you want). 3/4 of the way through the game I had enough endurance to wear level 4 heavy armor (fully upgraded) and two-hand a great scissor without fat rolling and it made late game bosses really easy. You can avoid most damage by rolling, but can also take tons of hits without dying, so it makes boss fights really forgiving (the Lake lady was the only one I had to try more than once, just because her magic has lots of pushback and is harder to evade).

I've played the first portion of NG+ and enemies are much more difficult, but they also give shitloads of salt (I had 100,000 after just beating the first boss). So the sky is the limit in terms of character builds (it seems very possible to develop your character in a completely different direction in NG+ as you will level almost as quickly as NG just because normal scrub enemies each give like 1,000+ salt, which is cool).

---

Arcane
Light armors suck :argh: Lower protection than heavy armors, of course, but at least I'm supposed to have less weight. False: with 20 (!) points in endurance, I still can't wear a full set (an early game set, I must specific) of light pieces without loose the fast roll. I'm starting to think to invest point in heavy armor... Medium roll but higher protection seems a right deal for me.
25% for the fast roll is too low, anyway.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Do classes matter and you have to stick in your first choice or is it like Dark Souls, almost cosmetic?

Dyskolos

Cipher
Cosmetic. The only very slight impacts are starting point on the skill tree - but they're all within a few nodes of each other so it's negligible after a few levels - and starting equipment. The latter matters if you're trying to beat the tutorial boss or just want a bit easier a start to the game but there's nothing you can't get pretty soon otherwise.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just brute forced myself through the Tree of Men boss fight. I got slaughtered on my first run and then I said "fuck it" on my second try and just used heavy armor with high encumbrance to negate damage on my second try.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Phoenix Rondache made the fight a cakewalk. You can block the attacks so they barely do any damage as well as 100% fire(you could also switch between the Rondache and a 100% physical shield).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom