Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Sales, player stats and other business things

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Let's dump sales, player stats and other business things into here.

Brian Fargo said:
Success! Thanks to all of you we just passed the million dollar mark in sales on Steam! #crpgsforever

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/513460471023042561

Concurrent Players stat: http://www.steamcharts.com/app/240760
Steam Top Seller stat: http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=240760&range=7

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Let's dump sales, player stats and other business things into here.

Brian Fargo said:
Success! Thanks to all of you we just passed the million dollar mark in sales on Steam! #crpgsforever

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/513460471023042561

I would have hoped for more actually, considering the game cost a lot more than that to develop. Seems like the pool of potential d1purchasers has been largely exhausted by the kickstarter campaign. I hope this gets good sales on the long tail to fund a sequel and encourage others to jump on the turn-based bandwagon.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Funny how D:OS ended up the bigger success story. It's had a better retention with players as well.

imweasel

I would have hoped for more actually.
Now you see why publishers don't want to fund these type of games.
Funny how D:OS ended up the bigger success story. It's had a better retention with players as well.
Guys, $1m in sales after 40 hours (Steam only) is pretty damn good for a game with a $6m budget. Inxile should be in the profit zone soon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Funny how D:OS ended up the bigger success story. It's had a better retention with players as well."

WL2 is a REAL old skool hardcore game. DOS is a fake new age PRETEND 'hardcore' game that makes newbies brainwashed into thinking its hardcore when it isn't. I mean DOS gives you ressurection scrolls from the start and uses RPS as its dialogue system. L0L

WL2 allows you to die by thirst (if you are stupid) or even by simply being unlucky. It doesn't hand hold you even though the main plot is more or less striaght forward - just go where you are asked to go though you can explore.

Profitz or not, WL2 is vastly superior to DOS.

I'm hoping for a WL3 and thoguh I hope they don't go the KS route, I'd probably throw in some cash for it even though I didn't even do so for WL2 KS. DOS2? I can live or die with a sequel. I surely won't help a fake KS since DOS1 shouldn't have been KSed in the first place.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
But, worst game and I prefer WL2 more than DOS. That's INSTA WIN for WL2 since my opinion is FACT and all that matters. :)

SniperHF

Arcane
I would have hoped for more actually, considering the game cost a lot more than that to develop. Seems like the pool of potential d1purchasers has been largely exhausted by the kickstarter campaign.

Hard to say. I think Non-fantasy lesser graphics hurts D1P more than the backer total. But what does confuse me is the playercounts being lower. Especially the first few days. The backer number differences between WL2 and DOS are big but DOS leads in peak playercount. I would think the sheer volume of WL2 backers would trump DOS in peak playercount but DOS with better word of mouth and less competition would still probably lead the average.

I think what's missing in this guesswork is the finicky nature of kickstarter backers. People pledging to DOS are likely more serious about it. People pledging to Wasteland are fly by night join the cool kids types who were eager to participate after Broken Age/DFA. I think some proof of this can be found in the Broken Age player count, which is SUBSTANTIALLY lower at 3134. In terms of word of mouth on D1 it seems pretty easily DivOS>WL2>BA.

TL;DR what I'm saying is the type of person who backed WL2 is actually less likely to the play the game they backed than the person who backed DOS. Anecdotally I've seen this with people I know who backed WL2. Many of them actually didn't know it came out until several days later.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
You guys are total nincompoops. The game's going to do fine, it only needs to generate a few million more to be profitable.

ZoddGuts

Augur
No one is saying this is doing bad or that it's a failure, just that it isn't doing as well D:OS did, that's all. No need to get butt hurt over it kids.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is back at #3 now. Life is Feudal has dropped down. So it's got more staying power than the hobo simulators.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No one is saying this is doing bad or that it's a failure, just that it isn't doing as well D:OS did, that's all. No need to get butt hurt over it kids."

So, you finally admit that DA2 is a avstly superior game to DOS. Afterall, it sold a shit load more games.

R00fles!

No one is saying this is doing bad or that it's a failure, just that it isn't doing as well D:OS did, that's all. No need to get butt hurt over it kids.
Not butthurt, just thought you should know that despite the obsession, sales and dorito muncher reviews aren't worth much. Or we'd all be playing those other critically acclaimed shit RPGs. But I guess it was mostly an assumption.
I still think it key to remember that D:OS only kickstarted it's last stretch whereas Wasteland 2 was purely an independent effort, which I'd imagine means they're getting more of the money they make.
Although I'll acknowledge my sig and say I'm not completely educated on D:OS's funding, but have read posts stating that they had investors/publishers involved.

Weasel
I don't really get the D:OS vs WL2 arguments. The reality is without kickstarter neither game would be with us in its current form (D:OS without the extra year of development would probably have been very, very different). So we've got two tb RPGs after years of famine, with more to come. Whichever game one prefers I can only see this as good news.

And WL2 will be fine. Half the budget was from kickstarter, they must have got at least $2m from Steam and GOG by now and without a publisher they get all the revenue from the game. Every sale they take part in in the future will be a nice lump of cash straight to their bank account instead of a small bonus from a publisher.

So good news all round, I'd say. I'm guessing Fargo will be more open about sales than Swen so we'll find out in due course.

Weasel
I saw the author confirming but this seems ridiculous. $45 million revenue or so already? Sorry, can't believe that. Unless someone spots Brother None and Sea shopping for Ferraris.

edit: And it hasn't even been top of the Steam charts?!?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
definitely bullshit. you know how critical "games journalists" are of sources before they post shit.

edit: well I guess a PR firm should be reliable, but believing 1.5m sales just like that takes another level of gullibility

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom