Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Oh and there's a Wild West pack with outfits and two gun reskins. Shotgun is for the semiauto and the revolver is for the light pistol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
GAT V DLC free today on steam (for SR4), in honour of you know what.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247295/
Oh you, Volition. Oh you. :troll:
:hero:

Also it seems that you can actually get this one even if you don't own the game,just click on the install button and voila,You already own Saints Row IV-GAT V pack
My God, that was beyond retarded. I don't get why people like Gat so much, he could only get more one dimentional if flattened by a truck.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been replaying SR4 recently, and was thus reminded of the one major complaint I have with this game: The fucking minigames are either far too easy or far too difficult to gold medal in. Only a very few are in-between, meaning it's quite challenging to nab a gold, rather than effortless or virtually impossible.

Case in point: I got a gold medal in the Hard version of UFO Mayhem the very first time through, without exerting any special effort other than my prior experience with the minigame. I have yet to get a gold medal in the Easy version of UFO Mayhem, despite numerous attempts; even getting the silver medal was a pain in the ass. The optimal strategy for UFO Mayhem is always the same—plot a course between clusters of priority targets, build up a kill combo while approaching each cluster, finish your combo on the cluster, rinse and repeat. But even if I were doing it wrong (I'm not), it still makes absolutely no sense that it's easier to get a gold medal in the easiest rather than the hardest version of the exact same type of minigame.

I actually Googled this, and apparently fences are a fairly important part of combos in the target-poor environment of Easy UFO Mayhem. Said fences cease to be rendered if you fly too high, where "too high" isn't terribly high at all. Also, I've personally noticed that the rockets very often hit somewhere different than they've been aimed, which, again, is a pain in the ass when they box you into a restricted zone and refuse to spawn more than a few cars and civilians.

Genki's M.O.M. is also absolutely fucking ridiculous. If you accidentally grab a few too many mailboxes or random passing pieces of junk (or civilians darting in front of the Genki head you're trying to pick up, etc.)—and you have very little meaningful control over this while rushing to finish as quickly as possible—no gold for you. Fuck that shit.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
The thing you described with the minigames happened back in SR2 as well. Some were quite easy (you can beat the Fight Club missions with ease with your newbie upgradeless character with ease), others relied on luck (I'm looking at you, Police Brutality missions!), some relied on tricks (Insurance Fraud: grab a heli, fly as high as you can, bail out and faceplant on a car) others are close to impossoble (Snatch and Crowd Control) and others can just go suck a dick (Tow Truck diversion).

Man, some of those just were no fun.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not played any of the SR games seriously, then picke dup 4 and 3 on the Winter Steam sale.

SR4 is GOTY 2013. If you dispute this, you do not enjoy enjoyment, find no pleasure in pleasusure and consider fun to be unfunny.

I hated the dubstep gun, though - as funny as it was, once I upgraded it to exploding wubs, game difficulty dropped to trivial.

Any Rampage mission I learned to look for fences fast. Those things rocket up the combo meter like a motherfucker. That and the random 'debris' groupings (trashcans, dumpster, newsboxes).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I hated the dubstep gun, though - as funny as it was, once I upgraded it to exploding wubs, game difficulty dropped to trivial.

If you think the Dubstep Gun is powerful, wait until you get the Singularity Gun, the Murica Gun, or the minigun (it's from some DLC). Also, the difficulty ramps up considerably in the endgame if you're playing on Hard without a full suite of super friends to take some bullets for you.

This reminds me of my other pet peeve with SR4: You have to walk (or pause and wait for the sprint animation to end) in order to use melee weapons, so aside from the fact that they're weak, they're not even that much fun to use.

Any Rampage mission I learned to look for fences fast. Those things rocket up the combo meter like a motherfucker. That and the random 'debris' groupings (trashcans, dumpster, newsboxes).

Given health care costs in the US, you'd think civilians would be worth a lot more.

Most of us don't have health insurance (public option costs how much?!), so unfortunately we're not much good for score-whoring.

Angthoron

Arcane

If you think the Dubstep Gun is powerful, wait until you get the Singularity Gun, the Murica Gun, or the minigun (it's from some DLC). Also, the difficulty ramps up considerably in the endgame if you're playing on Hard without a full suite of super friends to take some bullets for you.

This reminds me of my other pet peeve with SR4: You have to walk (or pause and wait for the sprint animation to end) in order to use melee weapons, so aside from the fact that they're weak, they're not even that much fun to use.

Yeah, Murica is obscenely powerful even on lower upgrade tiers. Singularity isn't bad, but the ammo recharge is a bit slow compared to it, and while it's a superweapon that kills just about everything, I still like to have obscene amounts of replenisheable (rifle) ammo on hand. Same issue with melee weapons for me, made worse by the fact you need to use it in one of the Activities. I always end up using the "special" attack when switching from run to punch, so it takes two hits to kill stuff instead of one, gah.

Given health care costs in the US, you'd think civilians would be worth a lot more.

You'd expect Zinyak to make a more accurate simulation.

Caim

Arcane
You'd expect Zinyak to make a more accurate simulation.
When civilians are a good source of projectiles against footslogging enemies, I am not surprised their lives are not worth that much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finally got around to completing this, thought it was to SR3 what 2 was to 1.

I liked how they organized activities into side missions with frequent rewards to encourage me to do all of them. Glad they improved on the concept of a damage sponge requiring a QTE finisher. Did not like how I had to unlock/upgrade wall- and water-running to make traveling feel less clunky. A handful of activities were too difficult when it came to getting a gold medal (ie not being able to do it even after a half-dozen or more attempts), but at least I was able to knock it down to casual for those. The falling section at the end was really unintuitive, and the final fight was meh, but unpolished final sections are a given. Lots of laughs were had of course. Favorite joke was the Biz Markie thing.

I was very pessimistic about this before release, so it was great to have been proven wrong. Looks like Nathaniel Chapman was right in this particular case.
https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/459192754275250176 https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/459193281746714624
Honestly working on expansions/patches/sequels is the best. You've answered the boring questions by then, can focus on the fun stuff.

It's one of the reasons games often don't come into their own until the first expansion (or in the case of annualized sequels, the 2nd game)
As a former Obsidian employee, he'd know about this kind of thing. :M

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Finally got around to completing this, thought it was to SR3 what 2 was to 1.
quoted for truth. quite the surprise after shitty sr3, though it still has some of sr3's problems in the storytelling department (can't believe how excellent sr2 was in that regard).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Saints Row games are like the most astonishing thing in the game industry, it is so unbelievably surprising when you play them and discover that they are actually really really good.
never played sr1, but 3 was shit on an incredible amount of levels, especially when you play it less than a decade after 2.

Indranys

Savant
1 and 2 were pretty cool.
3 was shit and the fourth is pretty OK to me.
But shit I hate collecting glowing tokens across the city, I need a mod to fix that and one to replay missions then I'll re-play the game.
SR 2 is still the best, for its story and contents, but with shit optimization and so-so graphix.
Definitely would play 2 and 4th again and again with mods and shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom