Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Caim

Arcane
HOLY SHIT TERRY CREWS

THIS GAME HAS A SUMMON SUPER TERRY CREWS BUTTON
If you think that's good, just wait until you finish Keith David's loyalty mission.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I just finished it, a fun and funny game,not sure if it's worth a full price since it's obvious this started as an expansion.Still I found out why you can't fuck romance Keith David.It's
because
he fucks you in the ass after all,in his loyalty story mission where he betrays humanity and goes "I now welcome our glorious alien overlords",at least until Roddy Piper beats that shit out of him and he becomes a good guy again

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I just finished it, a fun and funny game, not sure if it's worth a full price since it's obvious this started as an expansion. Still I found out why you can't fuck romance Keith David. It's because
he fucks you in the ass after all in his loyalty story mission where he betrays humanity and goes "I now welcome our glorious alien overlords", at least until Roddy Piper beats that shit out of him and he become a good guy again
I found what they did with that character somewhat odd. As if he was some kind of spirit animal; a deus ex machina in a kilt.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I just finished it, a fun and funny game, not sure if it's worth a full price since it's obvious this started as an expansion. Still I found out why you can't fuck romance Keith David. It's because
he fucks you in the ass after all in his loyalty story mission where he betrays humanity and goes "I now welcome our glorious alien overlords", at least until Roddy Piper beats that shit out of him and he become a good guy again
I found what they did with that character somewhat odd. As if he was some kind of spirit animal; a deus ex machina in a kilt.

Actually that mission and their fight is an awesome easter egg/reference to this

If you don't know it,the actors in They Live are Roddy Piper and Keith David
It makes sense after all,in all the character's loyalty mission there is another character/enemy for your friend's past that appears and eventually becomes a homie after you finish the mission,it's the same thing with Keith David/Roddy Piper

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Make sure you call them to join you, each character has a line of dialog with the others in your crew, sadly it's just one. I think Piper and Julius have the best.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finished it today. Yep, hands down the best open-world and superpowered game.

Actually that mission and their fight is an awesome easter egg/reference to this

It makes sense after all,in all the character's loyalty mission there is another character/enemy for your friend's past that appears and eventually becomes a homie after you finish the mission,it's the same thing with Keith David/Roddy Piper

Keith's nightmare wasn't They Live, but being beaten up by Roddy again.

Caim

Arcane
Finished it today. Yep, hands down the best open-world and superpowered game.

Keith's nightmare wasn't They Live, but being beaten up by Roddy again.

Who wouldn't be afraid of that.

Vaarna_Aarne

Still, I can't wait for human-velociraptor alliance hijinks and the president/boss taking on Santa.

Caim

Arcane
Still, I can't wait for human-velociraptor alliance hijinks and the president/boss taking on Santa.
What if they put velociraptors into the simulation. Superpowered velociraptors.

Superpowered Boss, Keith David, Terry Crews and a velociraptor go to town on Steelport.

And it would be magnificent.

Vaarna_Aarne

Personally I wish super-president to go out of the simulation. Hopefully the DLC is big enough to have a new area. I kinda burned Steelport down, 100% clear when I finished the game.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, doing all the sidemissions was far more inviting given that you get extras for every five or so you complete. Too bad there isn't much left to do after getting 100%, I still need a lot of the "kill X enemies with Y" challenges.

But hey, maybe they find some sort of way to hack the powers into reality. Just look at the last mission: if they fit that shit into a suit they can find a way to inject those powers into the Boss or something.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
IdolNinja is making a mod that will add the SR3 gangs back into SR4 Steelport, and I think there's already one to disable Warden spawns. It's not perfect, there's still a disappointing lack of any reason to keep playing after the conclusion of the story, but it'll definitely help liven up the ghost town a bit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, this was a major disappointment. I originally went in thinking I'd get a lukewarm game like SR3 (which I liked, though I didn't love it like #2), but then my hopes kindda went up because of the bros here and their recommendations.

Obviously, this game has some major fucking advantages to #3. The super-powers are awesome, they're implemented brilliantly and make for some great dynamic fights n' shit. The writing is good. Whereas SR3 is just over-the-top bullshit for no reason other than to be juvenile, SR4 always has an edge or some point it gets across with the goofyness. I genuinely laughed at many points even though over-the-top juvenile humor ain't really my cup of tea usually. The plugs at other games were also very funny. The way it takes the piss on Mass Effect is glorious. The activities are generally also much more fun. These things are big reasons SR4 could have been a major improvement.

But it's not.

In any given open world game, I mostly only do the main missions (and activities I must do to move on with the plot). Doing this, the time I've clocked in SR2 and SR3 still manages to be LONGER than the time clocked in for SR4 where I did every single side-mission and activity. I dread to think of how short this game actually is if you cut out all the bullshit and just play the main plot. Also, in contrast to #2 and #3 where you had A LOT of missions with varied content and a lot of perspectives where you saw the characters interact and get fleshed out, you have next to none here. The character gallery expands hugely, but there is almost no time for individual characters to interact with the boss and each other. This is another reason the game's pacing is so horrid. Short cutscenes, exposition and development is what break up the freeforming in these kinds of games, and this games has very little of it. Only the small amount of main missions has interaction and different missions with different objectives, not counting the loyalty missions which are pretty short and only involve one character, mostly. All of them are really well done, but there are so few of them. The pacing gets shot to hell if you, like me, try to get as much value out of this game as #2 and #3.

Another major problem is that the open world is basically useless as anything but space between collectibles. It's fun LARPing you superpowers and playing around with them as you level them up, but the story missions are linear and seldom even use the open world, and the acitivites, like in SR#2 and #3, are set in little mini-instances of the open world. You don't need vehicles for anything, so you'll never use them unless you're LARPing, and you won't see or interact with the open world except to jump from Data Cluster to Data Cluster on rooftops. You're also not constantly building up your roster of hideouts, vehicles and other awesome shit to use in the gameworld. Here, all that matters is clusters for powers and cache for weapon upgrades. The result is a Steelport that seems bleak, empty and devoid of anything interesting, unless you really get a hardon from audio logs or statues. The constant night-time doesn't help. Compared to most open world games, SR4's steel port is a complete Ghost Town. The game might technically be open world, but it feels like a linear action game on many fronts.

Then there's performance. Disregarding my FPS problems, the game crashed almost every two hours for me, and the screen tearing due to the removal of a framerate cap could get glaring when it ran well for a change. The game's save-system means that crashes can really fuck you up. My game crashed at the final bossfight right before the end credits, which meant I had to go through the entire bossfight all over just to see the ending.

All in all, I really liked the improvements the game made to #3, and I really, REALLY wanted to like it more because of its charm and all the brilliant, absurd scenarios it puts you in, but ultimately I just can't. And there is just no way I'm exusing the game for its problems because of its chaotic development process - they're still demanding a steep 50 euros for the thing, so of course I'm expecting it to be on the level of SR3 in terms of polish.

In the end, the game shines with the love put into it, the writing is its saving grace, and the super powers compel you to keep playing, but it has far too many problems for me to laud it like some of you other bros.

Last edited:
It's probably because my first run through is a strictly no-powers-unless-called-for run and thus I'm spending more time on the ground than others, but I think Steelport is actually quite a bit more reactive than it used to be. Pedestrians are much more likely to look after themselves than in SR3. One of the Alien Wardens inadvertently blasted a random crowd of people and while half turned into a disorganized mess, the others took out weapons, yanked him from the vehicle and beat the ever loving piss out of him.

I'm quite enjoying a no-powers run through, you have to carefully think about what kind of standard upgrades to invest in. Going into scenarios that normally expect ubermensch without a respectable crew is a death sentence.

Edit: "Oh look, a bunch of towers for me to use my jumping po-LOL NOPE HELICOPTER!"

Last edited:

Diablo169

Arcane
I played the game and got 100% completion. Really enjoyed it, was a good bit of mindless fun and the writing was funny and enjoyable. I think certain elements are quite redundant given the superpowers but i still dig it.

baturinsky

Arcane
I did all challenges, except onfoot race for Aisha (I think), near/in airport. For some reason, green orb did not stop time, like they did in other race.
Super power fight club - I did all, but mostly only bronze. Is there a way to kill things really fast with just superpowers?

Last edited:

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sprint Awesome button + melee/punch kills pretty much every non boss instantly.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I did all challenges, instead onfoot race for Aisha (I think), near/in airport. For some reason, green orb did not stop time, like they did in other race.
Super power fight club - I did all, but mostly only bronze. Is there a way to kill things really fast with just superpowers?
Super Power Fight Club is easy - just spam, spam, spam ice blast and ice buff. Everyone near you and everyone you point at will be frozen, and one punch will kill any of them - even the bosses will go down in a couple of combos. The King of the Hill sections are even easier, just switch to TK and keep throwing the Genki Girls across the room.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Basically I've just got to echo what Grunker said. I can't compare IV to the other SRs as I haven't played them, but it really felt like the 'open world' could've been replaced with a simple menu of activities. After getting sprint I never drove again outside of a mission. I never worried about notoriety as I could outrun trouble and most missions wiped it at the end. Basically the whole city, while fun to traverse, could have been completely non-interactive between missions and I would've barely noticed.

Another big issue was that no incentive is provided by the money system. If I need 10k for an upgrade, should I go around town pointing weapons at people to scavenge $10 a go or just do a story mission and have the money waiting by the time I'm finished? It encouraged playing at such a pace that I finished the game with 96% complete in just over 18hrs.

So I would say: fun in small doses but hardly an open world game and certainly not worth £40

baturinsky

Arcane
One thing I liked a lot (maybe most) in SR4 is superpowered sidekicks. Carnage they do is so... beautiful. Even more than if you do it yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom