Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row 2

Holy Cow

following my new trend on which PS3 games to buy, does anyone recommend this over liberty city episodes? it looks like real fun[/u]

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Haven't played Saints Row 2 but Liberty City Episodes, particularly the Ballad of Gay Tony is highly recommended. The Lost and the Damned is pretty much just more GTA4, but TBOGT is nice return to San Andreas/Vice City form where creative and silly mission design reign. There's a mission that has you still a speed boat, drive out to this luxury yacht, avoid patrol boats to sneak on board, steal a small attack helicopter on the yacht's helipad, and the destroy the yacht and its supporting patrol boats while dodging RPGs. Another mission has you skydiving onto the roof of a skyscraper, fighting through the penthouse to assasinate one guy, then shooting out a window and jumping through, using your parachute to glide onto the flatbed of a waiting getaway truck. If you miss the flatbed, you have to escape on foot while fighting off chasing cars. The side activites, like base jumping and cage fighting are pretty good, and some of the minigames like golfing and dancing are surprisingly fun.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I recommend this over any sandbox game on PS3. It's actually fun instead being a bore-fest like GTA4.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
root said:
so, worth buying on the ps3 over these new sandbox games?
Definitely, it has humor right up Codex alley.

relootz

Scholar
haha PS3. Consoles are so boring unless you can play co-op with a friend.

Dragula

Augur
Eh, recommending this over GTA4 is kind of retarded. I'ts fun for an hour driving around shooting shit up, whereas GTA4 at least tells a story.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Dragula said:
Eh, recommending this over GTA4 is kind of retarded. I'ts fun for an hour driving around shooting shit up, whereas GTA4 at least tells a story.
2/10

Gerrard

Arcane
By the way, they are apparently making a third, also for PC. I wonder how bad that port will be.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Saints Row 2 is great fun with good mission variety (I liked the one where you lock a girl in the trunk of a car and then park it in a monster truck rally), but it's really damned buggy. Expect a lot of random crashes.

Dny

Educated
Saints Row 2 is what GTA IV should have been. It's fun, it doesn't take itself seriously (unlike GTA IV) and the controls are vastly better, particularly the driving.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm a storyfag, and I still recommend Saint's Row 2 over GTAIV. It's fucking hilarious, and whenever you do some of that crazy shit you love to do in a sandbox-game, like driving your car off the roof of the highest building or shooting random passerbys in the face, the game actually rewards you for it.

GTAIV was a borefest with a good story and some good characters. Saint's Row II is a hilarious ride down insanity-street; it's everything that was fun about Vice City.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Sadly, the Saints Row developer has said a while back that Saints Row 3 will be darker, "mindblowing" and take the series in a new different direction. That's never good news, expect the worst.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Grunker said:
GTAIV was a borefest with a good story and some good characters. Saint's Row II is a hilarious ride down insanity-street; it's everything that was fun about Vice City.
Exactly.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
root said:
following my new trend on which PS3 games to buy, does anyone recommend this over liberty city episodes? it looks like real fun[/u]

Only retard would buy this unoptimized piece of crap when he can play it on PC.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
This is the un-funniest game I have ever played. It's painful how terrible and immature the jokes are.

I don't like this type of game. It wore out its welcome after GTAVC was exactly the same as GTA3. No I don't have anything helpful to say, thank you.

Gerrard

Arcane
If anything was painful and immature, it were the penis and balls jokes everywhere in GTAIV. Like the bowling alley sign HURRR, so funny. I literally facepalmed.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fat Dragon said:
Sadly, the Saints Row developer has said a while back that Saints Row 3 will be darker, "mindblowing" and take the series in a new different direction. That's never good news, expect the worst.
:rage:

I hope that's just a smokescreen to get people who didn't pick up the last one cause it was a 'TOTAL GTA RIPOFF BRO :avatard: ' to try it.

I enjoyed both Saints Row games, and their sense of detail when it comes to continuity is every bit as good as Rockstar's. Imagine my surprise when I found out the yuppie housewife turned drug dealer from one of the first game's side-missions ("This is so exciting, would you like to come to dinner tonight") had married a chief rival. Hell, awhile later I was helping him blow the shit out of a drug farm while debating what would be the best thing to get her for an anniversary present.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Grunker said:
GTAIV was a borefest with a good story and some good characters.

NO, it fucking wasn't.
It was nothing but a pile of shitty cliches with a very poorly told narrative. It's almost as if they told the devs to make the most generic, trite, cliche-ridden gangster tale they could possibly think of.

GTAIV was enjoyable because of the characters, but the story isn't anything to write home about. Boss hires you, Niko kills the boss , bigger boss hires you, Niko kills bigger boss, even bigger boss hires you, Niko kills this even bigger boss, super duper boss hires you...

SR2's story was bad too, it consists of going around destroying the gangs that took over while you were in a coma (after being caught in an explosion at the end of SR1). Gameplay is more fun, but you're more of a death god than you were in GTAIV (there's health regen, but it isn't much help since enemies take out lots of health in a short period of time).

Anyway, you shouldn't play either for the story. GTAIV and expansions are for a more "serious" open world (jokes and sillyness are still everywhere, but it doesn't get cartoon silly like in SR2)

SR2 is pants-on-head-retarded fun. One of the mission chains consists of dressing up as a cop for a reality show, and you break up fights by using a flamethrower, stop teens from riding skates on the sidewalk by throwing explosive satchels at them, stop eco protests by cutting everyone i n half with a chainsaw, and even a npc that is playing the "killing spree" rocket launcher minigame you also do (he even gets the "$100" little numbers that pop up when you destroy something :lol: )

another one is about security fraud - throw yourself in front of cars to rack up $. The key to win is to be thrown from one car to another (for the duration of the minigame, being hit by a car makes you fly kilometers away).

and another one is about riding in a tricycle, while ON FIRE, and run through the city in time trials. You get extra time by exploding things (touching them) and putting people on fire. Win all missions on this chain and you unlock a fireproof suit.

There's also a fight club, which was added to Ballad of Gay Tony (lots of things were, like parachutes, planes; and friends don't pester you as frequently....seems like Rockstar heard the fans).

--

Also, SR2's protagonist ("Boss") is a complete psycho. Niko, Johnny and Louis are just...crazy.

Multi-headed Cow

I'd vote GTA4 or RDR but my tastes are far too refined for the popamoles of the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom