Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

poetic

Poetic
Developer
V_K I may be wrong, but I gather your reaction means, it sounds just a little bit too good to be true? That's good feedback, if I understand it correctly.

I am the type of player that likes the character creation process above all else in a RPG, so I know the feeling of disappointment, when you spent hours balancing stats and making choices that you, once you start playing, realize didn't matter and were just flavor text. As a developer, it's one of the hardest things to pull off, but we are thinking from the get go about how choices in character creation matter further down the road.

I think our art shows, that we know how to achieve a lot with very little. We use the same smart systematic approach with our design and writing. The most important thing is we first developed, prototyped an reiterated the hell out of the ruleset, the numeric personality model. Than we wrote and re-wrote a few conflict scenes and identified the five resolution techniques that the ruleset supports. Only then did we start to write the story. So for each scene we already knew what smart options we want to support.

One thing that I should have stated above is that the main storyline favors width, depth and replayability, not length.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Nah, it's just an expression of excitement. I'm a sucker for games that try to do things differently, but up until that update your project was a bit too vague for me to really get into. Now it starts getting more tangible, and I like the direction you're taking it.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Wow, thank you all, that's very encouraging to hear. I prepared a new gif for the Steam Greenlight Character Creation Announcement, it doesn't cover the whole depth, just the basics:

PN3ZziB.gif

poetic

Poetic
Developer
release date when?!? I'm ready to throw money at this game.
Hey, thanks! That's very encouraging. We will be running a Kickstarter campaign in March. Our secret goal is to have people comment: "Shut up and take my money!" We will have a first playable version in summer 2017 and than proceed to alpha and beta versions in late 2017. Full release is planned for Spring 2018.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Is you Greenlight campaign doing good?
StaticSpine Thank you for asking. It's going good, but we could sure use a nudge form you guys, especially on reddit or social media :) We are also not aware of being added to any Collections on Steam, so if you know the right people, we appreciate all the help we can get.

anus_pounder

Arcane
release date when?!? I'm ready to throw money at this game.
Hey, thanks! That's very encouraging. We will be running a Kickstarter campaign in March. Our secret goal is to have people comment: "Shut up and take my money!" We will have a first playable version in summer 2017 and than proceed to alpha and beta versions in late 2017. Full release is planned for Spring 2018.

:abyssgazer:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Yeah, I feel your pain. Sorry, it just takes time to create something unique. Hey, it's still better than the 'Apocalypse Now' Kickstarter, with a 2020 release date.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We took the Steam Greenlight voting by storm - we currently have 1,050 YES votes and we are thankful for each and every one of them.

MWjwRcb.gif

We still need some more to get Greenlit, so if you like what you see, please consider helping us to get the word out, either by reaching out to friends, admins, bloggers and influencers, or let the people know on reddit or social media. We appreciate all the help we can get, thank you.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We just made it into the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight. It took less than 3 days - you guys are awesome, thank you all!
biggrin.png

Let's see how far we can keep climbing.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, we waited 12 years for AOD, so this isn't that bad.

This needs to be approved fast so I can put it on the top of my wishlist. :salute:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I recommend you answer the questions being asked on Reddit, mate!
Thanks for having my back, Lexxx20 !

We woke up to a nice surprise today, we are already #75 in the Steam Greenlight. Thank you all for your continuous and unrelenting support.

It's the first time we are making waves, well maybe ripples :), on Reddit as well.

We basically need one last push to get to the top 50 where the Greenlighting happens.

Who will be the hero to save the day today?

uscw8Mr.gif

This scene shows why relationships in Sacred Fire matter - they can be literary the difference between life and death.
Of course not all relationships are friendly and how you manage the hostile ones is equally as important and affects also combat encounters difficulty.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
it's a shame that the ancestors of the white gentlemen in the painting are currently curly bearded hipsters protesting trump because they want to taste the thick brown kebab

back to the game, I hope you keep the floating +1 respect +1 anger thing, would make for a very distinctive visual style

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Zed Duke of Banville Wow, now that's a classic! Respect.

Latro Thank you, one of our design principles is we want the player to be in control, to have the full insight of what's going on. And than we try to make the stuff needed to achieve that to look good :) So there you go, the origin story of a distinct visual style ;)

Thanks to you all, our Steam Greenlight is well underway. On day 6, with almost 2,500 votes, we are getting close to being in the top 30. That would be quite a feat for us and our community.

In the meanwhile, we would like to ask what you think about the voting that happens on our site:

qnONzol.jpg

More than 500 of you voted at https://www.SacredFireGame.com/#voting for their favorite character to raise the NPCs in-game influence.

You can choose between characters that want to vengefully crush Rome, or those who want to survive Rome and build a nation. This way you can have a powerful, like-minded NPC ally inside the game.

As a player character you are always free to choose your own path. It just makes things easier if an NPC has your back, or harder if you fight alone.

It's also an interesting feedback to our casting/writing. What do you think?

poetic

Poetic
Developer
What I find interesting is that the the faction hell bent on making Rome pay is not winning. I feel like there may be some hope for humanity after all
icon_smile.gif
If people are willing to look past the cruelty and revenge and wish to leave behind a better world for their children. Do not get me wrong, the patriots will still need to lead a very real resistance war, but the objective is to save as many of their own, instead of watching Rome burn even if it means to burn down with them.

But then, players haven't felt the cruelty of Rome first hand yet. But what do you do once evil touches your live? I think this is a question that defines a person very deeply. This is the kind of questions we want to explore.

Also, from our developer perspective, it's good feedback on how people like/dislike the characters you envision as a writer at first sight. And than we can take it from there in many different directions, who the characters truly are.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I find interesting is that the the faction hell bent on making Rome pay is not winning. I feel like there may be some hope for humanity after all
icon_smile.gif
If people are willing to look past the cruelty and revenge and wish to leave behind a better world for their children. Do not get me wrong, the patriots will still need to lead a very real resistance war, but the objective is to save as many of their own, instead of watching Rome burn even if it means to burn down with them.

But then, players haven't felt the cruelty of Rome first hand yet. But what do you do once evil touches your live? I think this is a question that defines a person very deeply. This is the kind of questions we want to explore.
Yes, I think this is a question that very much depends on how a player perceives Rome.
If you perceive them as so horrible that everything would be better than them, crushing them would be the logical choice.
If you perceive them as "manageable", it makes far more sense to focus on building something yourself and let Rome be Rome.

hivemind

how accurately does this historical document summarize the political plot of the game?
FjSSWUh.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At first i wasnt really sure about the project, but after the last few updates, i believe it is a great incline.

Depending on condition and financial situation i will back your game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom