Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky vs Call of Pripyat

Nirvash

Liturgist
Faction war in clear sky was a stupid, pointless and broken grind.
I killed like 200 duty for the freedom exo, so damn useless in that long endgame of endless call of duty firefight with no means to repair.

No love for lost alpha? Yes is "unfinished" but still got the most "new" content, even a very good number of new believable (getting 100% lost in the random as fuck metro road to pripyat was my best stalker experience of the last 10 years) maps.
And damn at how truly dangerous and strong the big mutants are.

I liked more the starlker of old, the SOC oblivion lost with random anomalies moving everywhere, frequent fast blowouts and no stupid "quest" to hide in a hole. (how do i set those in coc?)
How do i get that back?

What call of misery exactly does?

What about some good questlines?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
AMK mod will always be my favorite. Oblivion Lost was fun even though it had a bunch of dumb shit like vehicles you could use to just run over monsters.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What call of misery exactly does?

It's an attempt to bring Misery 2.1 to the CoCh. Call of Chernobyl was supposed to be a basic for other mods, it was a matter of time to bring Misery2, yet it's funny to see how one guy did more job better and faster than that retarded bunch of autist called MiseryTeam of whatever their name is. BTW. they claimed that new Misery for CoP is ready in 70% and they are too lazy to do anything else even though new features can be count on one hand. 4+years bumming around, good job.

Still some things are annoying, like knifes breaking after few swings, not that obvious way to getting mutant parts (you had to pull out knife and press F but in some playthrough I got nothing).
It similair to Misery2 - first few hours you hunt mutants for their parts to get any money (lot of junk in stashes and looted enemies), gas mask save you from incoming radiation, you die from 2 bites and 2 well placed bullets and your equipement and armors worn out p.fast, you should not do artifact hunt without proper equipement (no meds will help you repace their properties).
And you better not fight with human enemies with sawed off shotgun.

And yes, old Stalker on the concept was awesome, the released imitation of shovelware level was masive disappointment. When devs cut out content - it's not a big deal, it's the way developement work.
But Stalker? Heck, you can restore the cut content and make one or two big games, both more interesting than actual ShoC. Sure, some content was doubtful idea, like these zombies with long arms and legs or cats but that's it.

Last edited:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I feel like Shadow of Chernobyl and especially Clear Sky feel very "gamey" compared to Call of Pripyat. The levels feel far too small and confined compared to CoP. I also hated how shallow side missions are in SoC and CS (CS is especially guilty of this, as it tried to pass the buggy spawnfest that were the faction wars as content). SoC still has the best story.

No love for lost alpha?
I've never actually played it. The enviroments seem awesome, but the gameplay does not look very promising. I've also heard that there is some retarded shit about the Illuminati, which is just beyond retarded.

What about some good questlines?
I've been looking for some myself, but there don't seem to be many. Nothing compares to the side-quests of CoP.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
CoP is gamey too, 2 maps with stashes (p.good one) that can be seen from one to another, points of spawns and tasks and nothing dangerous nearby because it would lead to constant battle nearby bases and closed doors for most of the time.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CoP is gamey too, 2 maps with stashes (p.good one) that can be seen from one to another, points of spawns and tasks and nothing dangerous nearby because it would lead to constant battle nearby bases and closed doors for most of the time.
You could say that, but CoP is definitely less guilty of this than SoC and CS.

Nirvash

Liturgist
The enviroments seem awesome

They are.

They even got a "swamp map" right.
And a huge open "pray for no blowout" countryside one.

but the gameplay does not look very promising

Is classic modded stalker gameplay, more like oblivion lost on steroids.
I liked it more than i'm liking COC.
Mutants are way stronger, the stupid (or great thing) are that "classic" zombies are common, and they are almost immortal.
Full new main quest, but unfinished and some "forced cutscenes/events" rely on you walking the right path.
Good sidequests but a bit broken.

I've also heard that there is some retarded shit about the Illuminati

I don't even noticed illuminati stuff or anything, story is the classic one going into the happenings of the zone and his creation, unifnished.

There is a "new faction" that can maybe be forced/silly, but those are opinions.

the_shadow

Arcane
Finished Clear Sky for a second time, and am pretty surprised by the sheer volume of artifacts I missed during my first play through. Artifact quality increased by bounds once I reached the Red Forest, and I went the route of attaching Gravi/Goldfish to the SEVA suit with 5 artifact holders.

It's worth mentioning that early on in the game you are requested to find and return a trophy AKM-47/2 by a Loner. Not only does this weapon have the highest damage of any unmodded automatic rifle in the game, it uses 7.62x54mm bullets, which have massive armour penetration. In otherwords, it rips through virtually any enemy at short-medium range. 7.62x54mm bullets aren't available in the early game, but once you reach Yantar the scientists have replenishing stock, and you can find them in stashes as well. There's also a quest where you can obtain 2000 bullets. I'd hoarded over 5000+ of the things by the end-game.

The 7.62x54's accuracy is pretty poor though, and you can't upgrade it like regular rifles as it's a quest item. Still, you'd have to be stupid to turn it in for a few 1000 credits, although the quest giver could meet an unfortunate 'accident' after you've given it to him.

I also found the hidden cave in the Red Forest with the poltergeists, and managed to defeat them pretty easily. Far more difficult was bounding across all the anomalies in the bathroom to reach the cabinet with the grenade launcher. Unfortunately the grenade launcher wasn't there as it should have been, which is a common bug thanks to the poltergeists attempting to throw it at the PC, leading to clipping error. :rage:

Oh well. A Duty expert with an RP-74 happened to fall to some 'friendly fire' while being attached by Freedom (note that if you're part of a platoon attempting to take a point, you're allowed one free 'friendly fire' incident. If you do more than one...

The feeling of raw power you get from shredding enemies is great, even if all that ammo is damn heavy, and it's expensive to full upgrade the machine gun. I ended up joining the bandits to get my hands on a grenade launcher, which is rather 'meh'. A single grenade will insta-kill most enemies, but the area of effect is *very* small.

I didn't bother getting the exoskeleton this time since I had already tried it in the first playthrough, and I don't like not being able to sprint.

One side note: I previously complained about the shotguns in Clear Sky being weak, and while they are pretty poor against armoured enemies (steel darts and slugs have higher armour penetration, but why would you use them over a more accurate rifle?), spread shot is the best way of taking out fast moving mutants such as pseudodogs and bloodsuckers. I've been told the SPSA-14 is great vs the poltergeists, but the AKM-47/2 made short work of them.

Oh well, might as well replay Call of Pripyat.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Can you find grenade launcher in some basement in the vilage in Army Warehouses? I remember it was in ShoC (if you wanted to avoid going to Freedom base and burglaring their armory.

the_shadow

Arcane
Now I'm replaying Call of Pripyat. On my previous playthrough I never found Nimble, so I missed out on his special orders. While most of them are quite expensive, I received Marsh (one of the best hand-guns in the game) as my first pick for 3,000 credits, which is a bargain. Artifacts are plentiful in this game, and sell for thousands of credits each, so I'm rolling in dough after an hour of gameplay anyway.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Now you see why CoP is not that good.
You forgot about stashes, plenty of them nearby you.
Locations feels like glues together places, which forced devs to reduce randomness and mutant wandering range there will be no constant combat at the stalkers camps.

the_shadow

Arcane
One thing I hate about CoP is that you can't toggle 'crouch mode' like you could in previous installments, so I'm constantly holding the 'C' key, which is awkward when you want to side-strafe while crouch-shooting.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I much preferred Call of Pripyat. It was more immersive because the three zones were so big, and thus the loading screens were very rare. The anomalies were unique as fuck and not just air bubble over and over. And it had actual great quests in it.

Fuck now I want to replay it.

First two games were awesome too, but CoP is the one that fulfilled what the franchise had the potential to be. I hate that STALKER 2 was canceled so much, fucking Grigorovich.

I recently finished both of these games, and enjoyed both. I know that Call of Pripyat was better received than Clear Sky, and I can see why, as it's clearly more polished and mechanically sound. However, I actually enjoyed Clear Sky much more, partly because it *isn't* as polished. With Call of Pripyat there are three clearly defined areas with a preset guide and static sub-quests and anomalies. Clear Sky just feels more organic, particularly with the (somewhat broken) faction system, random quests, and the race towards the centre of the zone.

I didn't particularly like the ending sequence for CoP either. Having to
babysit Strelok
to get the best ending is ridiculous when the AI is horrendous. When the mission objective changed to requiring me to defend the evacuation point,
Strelok and the military goons
were still hundreds of meters away out in the open, getting sniped at by literally dozens of Monolith soldiers. It's impossible to defend
Strelok
and the evac. point at the same time, since if you move away from the point you lose the game. I'm assuming my version is bugged, and that your allies should all be at the chopper instead of out in the streets.

I really enjoyed the portion near the end of the game where you and your squad were fighting towards the centre of the zone. The final fight with
Strelok
was a bit of a letdown.

Note: Edited to clarify 'end of the game' vs. 'near the end of the game'.

Obviously you have a very low threshold for what is shit.

You prefer Clear Sky to Call of Pripyat because it's less polished?

ALL of the STALKER games are horribly buggy and unpolished, which is part of their allure.

Clear Sky was short, certain elements were irritatingly out of place, and the ending was absolutely terrible.

I played Clear Sky Complete and when I approached Strelok to kill him at the end of the game, he stood motionless while I unloaded my Gauss Rifle until he died.

FAIL!

the_shadow

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Well I have Pripyat but the draw distance really sucks I can see camp fires through my binoculars but once I get there the people show up. It's weird and I'll always prefer soc to the last 2 games

Baron Dupek

Arcane
ALL of the STALKER games are horribly buggy
I played Clear Sky Complete
I think I found the problem
Complete mods DOES NOT FIX THE BUGS FFS
But people will install it because lel better game+better graphic inanity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom