Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
With Unreal Engine im doubtful that they will recreate magical atmosphere from original Stalker series. Unreal Engine 4 is very clean and sterile engine. I would be much more hyped if this game was developed by 4A Games, not only they have better talent, more manpower but also they developed Metro series which is very good, and they are definitely more capable than GSC to bring us worthy continuation. GSC Game World last game are Cossacks 3 which is pretty bad from what i heard, didnt played it.

Cossacks 3 was released 20 september 2016, probably they started working on Stalker 2 after Cossacks release. Im cautiously interested, definitely not hyped.

Metro 2033 is not 'very good'. In fact, it sucks horse donkey.

Yea, Metro games have been sadly pretty shit compared to Stalker.

The odds of this new Stalker game being anywhere near the first is very slim, but I can dream...

Anyway didnt some of the original devs split of to make a shitty multiplayer style Stalker game? Cos the one thing I always wanted in the Zone is a bunch of retarded teenagers bunnyhopping around everywhere. As has been said this will most likely be another 'Battle Royale' garbage show cos thats flavor of the month.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metrp games are fine linear, setpiece based shooter, but no way they compare to stalker.

We dont know about exodus yet,but i doubt it will be a simulated as coc in term of enemy AI, factions, patrols, mutants, etc.

Astral Rag

Arcane
vg50242_playingvidyapcirrs.jpg

Playing STALKER without proper headphones.

:rpgcodex:

Parabalus

Arcane
Might be popamolish shit far cry ubishit clone

:(

How does Stalker differ from the Far Crys? I never played the FCs.

Both are open world shooters with no player advancement except for gear, right? The FC games have a more comical style/setting and I'm guessing are much easier, what makes else makes them worse?

Metro has the Stalkerish atmosphere but plays like a linear CoD game, including Bioware style cinematics, couldn't stomach it myself, even though I really wanted to.

Vexxt

Educated
I'm hopeful. Yes, the main talent behind SoC split off to make 4A games way back in 07, but there are SO MANY people out there that are passionate about STALKER that you have a whole new generation of developers now that some of which got into game development because of growing up playing STALKER.

Just as a few examples, look at the quality of the guns\animations for the Gunslinger mod - the idle animations, the heal mechanics, etc -

Take a look at "Froen Zone" - one of the more ambitious mods that sadly was cancelled, but holy shit - this is people doing this just for the love of the game! What made Frozen Zone unique was the amount of NEW assets they created -

There's plenty of talent out there who would kill to be a part of making a fully-funded, studio driven STALKER.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The original devs are less important than focusing on the right themes.

Hopefully the GSC devs are fans of the original.

Tancred

Learned

Both are open world shooters with no player advancement except for gear, right? The FC games have a more comical style/setting and I'm guessing are much easier, what makes else makes them worse?

Metro has the Stalkerish atmosphere but plays like a linear CoD game, including Bioware style cinematics, couldn't stomach it myself, even though I really wanted to.

Did you even play STALKER? It's zone-world not open-world. FC series has crafting & unlockables along with grinding to obtain crafting materials and clearing repeatable sidequests/points of interest to unlock equipment.

Metro has the Stalkerish atmosphere but plays like a linear CoD game, including Bioware style cinematics

Bioware style cinematics

RsJ1u.gif

Big Wrangle

The closest Far Cry to compare to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would be the second one, due to emphasis on surviving the gunfights rather than winging them, weapon durability, and opressive atmosphere.

Machocruz

Arcane
Like in all Ubisoft open world games, in Far Crys (after 2), you will never have to worry about ever feeling a sense of mystery or discovery. Everything is sign-posted, landmarked, checklisted, and catalogued for your convenience. STALKER is for those of us freaks who fancy things like atmosphere, immersion, unpredictability, exploration, and other silly things.

sullynathan

Arcane

they're practically the same games, except one is made by eastern Europeans and the other French or Germans.

I've died more and had greater challenge in far cry than in any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game

vitamin

Augur
With Unreal Engine im doubtful that they will recreate magical atmosphere from original Stalker series. Unreal Engine 4 is very clean and sterile engine. I would be much more hyped if this game was developed by 4A Games, not only they have better talent, more manpower but also they developed Metro series which is very good, and they are definitely more capable than GSC to bring us worthy continuation. GSC Game World last game are Cossacks 3 which is pretty bad from what i heard, didnt played it.

Cossacks 3 was released 20 september 2016, probably they started working on Stalker 2 after Cossacks release. Im cautiously interested, definitely not hyped.

UE4 is not that bad imo. The short preview of Chernobylite game by Polish Farm 51 Studio looks quite good.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
With Unreal Engine im doubtful that they will recreate magical atmosphere from original Stalker series. Unreal Engine 4 is very clean and sterile engine.

IF you have enough time and money you can make UE4 look and feel like anything you want really.

Also, my old computer has a whole bunch of stalker 2 design docs in russian, I wonder if they'll just use those.

EDIT: if anyone here reads russian and is curious, you can find em here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/79exllucsiezmep/some_docs.7z

Vexxt

Educated

they're practically the same games, except one is made by eastern Europeans and the other French or Germans.

I've died more and had greater challenge in far cry than in any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game

This is an absurd statement -

STALKER and Far Cry are practically the same? Not even close -

Far cry (except for 2) is a tongue-in-cheek, humor filled, ADHD fueled power-trip with Michael Bay style explosions and silliness.

STALKER provides a constant sense of dread, crushing atmosphere, and horror. It's a beautiful blend of FPS, survival-horror, and some light RPG elements to boot.

I can't recall a single time in ANY far cry game that I was short on ammo, spooked or even felt the slightest bit of immersion.

Parabalus

Arcane

Did you even play STALKER? It's zone-world not open-world. FC series has crafting & unlockables along with grinding to obtain crafting materials and clearing repeatable sidequests/points of interest to unlock equipment.

Metro has the Stalkerish atmosphere but plays like a linear CoD game, including Bioware style cinematics

Bioware style cinematics

RsJ1u.gif

It's zone-world because it's an old game, no? Was hard to just make everything one big map.
The zones are locked behind the main plot, but it's still pretty big to freely explore, don't think that warrants a distinction. Googling makes me think "zone-world" isn't even a thing.

So does metro 1 / 2 give you a freedom later? I played 1 a bit and it looked like all linear missions with plenty of cutscenes, when does it change?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Metro games are pure onrail linear story shooters, not that there is anything wrong with that. And to clarify my earlier statement, first one is a good game (but no Stalker), for some reason I bounced of the second game hard, tried to play multiple times and just could not hold my attention, which is strange as the author of the books was heavily involved in 2nd game.*

*Maybe not so strange as I also think second Metro book was pretty terrible compared to first book being one of my favourite novels.

Keppo

Arbiter

Metro 2033 is not 'very good'. In fact, it sucks horse donkey.

I enjoyed Metro 2033 a lot, but im atmosphere/setting fag and i loved feel of the game, gameplay was good enough.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I enjoyed Metro 2033 a lot, but im atmosphere/setting fag and i loved feel of the game, gameplay was good enough.

I guess if gameplay is 'good enough' that's all that matters. Your bar is probably a lot lower than mine.

Sure it's pretty enough and the setting is okay, I guess I think of where I come from as 'metro' meaning a big city but I guess it also means subways with gas masks, linear, okay shooting and long boring cinematics from the makers of STALKER! Not to mention having your head crushed in by a vomit inducing FOV which I suspect is fixable by now. You'd think the game was designed for consoles or something.

Anyways, for free, it's not worth the time to me but I suppose a lot of people like these kinds of games. I got it with a graphics card, my dad got it free, it's been free on humble bundle and I think GOG and probably steam and a million website giveaways. Sure, check it out. Have fun.

Who am I to disparage anyones taste in entertainment?

sullynathan

Arcane
Far cry (except for 2) is a tongue-in-cheek, humor filled, ADHD fueled power-trip with Michael Bay style explosions and silliness.
and The Original which is more difficult than any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.
STALKER provides a constant sense of dread, crushing atmosphere, and horror. It's a beautiful blend of FPS, survival-horror, and some light RPG elements to boot.
yea sure

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom