Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ruski Game Recommendations

Israfael

Arcane
The best, game, of course is the Podzemelya Kremlya (Kremlin dungeons) - the subtitles there are really great (shrooms took 10 years of your life away, for example). Just search for PKR.exe on the interwebz.

There were a couple dozen good games made by ex-USSR developers, but all of them lacked proper PR and direction, that's why they flopped overseas/abroad. Things like SR2/KB/IL-2/Brigade/Cossacks /Blood Magic were at least as competetive as their foreign counterparts (and SR2/KB were unique, hence they are known on the Codex and other marginal sites), but bad PR / non-existent/engrussian translation and tons of bugs that even Obsidian can't beat made them done for. Stalker's popularity abroad is an interesting phenomenon though, as this game was considered something like Oblivion (developers promised much, especially in the AI department, there was even a version of the Todd's 'radiant AI dog E3 movie' made by GSC). There's been no good games since 2008 because of MMOs ruining the market and killing many good teams, including Elemental/Katauri and many others.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If you want a true Russian HoMM game, look no further than Eador.Genesis. You can literally sit there for hours exploring every single hex as each one usually has something going on with it. Eador.Genesis is one of the better TBS games out there.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If you want a true Russian HoMM game, look no further than Eador.Genesis.

Right. Hate to break it for you, but Eador Genesis was developed by a single person, Alexey Bokulev. He is Ukranian. If you see remotely good slavic game, it's either Ukranian or Polish.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Ukranian.
Thea: The Awakening? Polish.
Cossacks? Ukranian.
Witcher? Polish.
King's Bounty reboot? Ukranian.

The list goes on. Many gud slav-made games out there - not a single gud russky game among them.

This thread is pain.

Israfael

Arcane
Alexey Bokulev
He's Belorussian, and Belarus is one of the two constituents of the 'Union State' with Russia. So, strike one.
King's Bounty reboot? Ukranian.
Elemental Games/Katauri are based in Vladivostok, but if you consider that Ukraine, then i don't even know. Strike two.
The list goes on. Many gud slav-made games out there - not a single gud russky game among them.
It's been said by the generations of the Russian gamers, so what's the news?

hello friend

Arcane
Ah, yes. Konung, that piece of sh wonderful gem. Fuck this game and fuck me for playing it.

I was going to post some arguments, but attempting to remember that experience is basically raping the brain. It's not pleasant, men. Don't play Konung. In fact, don't play russky games - wtf is wrong with you?
Never tried the first one, but Konung 2 had a lot of potential. Too bad it's relatively obscure in Not-Russia. It's definitely worth trying - finishing it is another matter. Was successfully immersed/10

Disciples 2
Disciples 1 is so much better it's not even funny. AI was never Disciples's strong suit, but Disciples 2 AI will bring bring it's own chopping block, and sharpen the axe for you too, while gently talking you through the execution process.
Space Rangers 2, preferably without expansions.
Tried this (That is to say, SR2 HD: A War Apart) on Grimwulf's recommendation, very fun. After a while it gets pretty samey tho, early game is like following a checklist. Really miss having more choices at ship/character creation + more variety. If only Transcendence wasn't so soulless, it does a lot of things right. Would be great if Space Rangers and Transcendence had a baby. There are loads of mods that possibly maybe breathe some freshness back into the game, but the entire mod scene is in russian.

Elven Legacy is gud. Race to the objective design keeps it interesting, every map is like a puzzle. Good selection of mods, all in russian.

Pathologic is amazing.

Couldn't get into nuKing's Bounty. Bland art direction, bad writing - which would be forgivable if the strategy/tactical was good, but things like dropping resources in battle map dilutes the experience all too much. Areas are crowded and railroady (at least in the base game). And so on.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
pardon me for bumping this thread, but i gotta contribute.

one of my favorite so-bad-its-good FPS games is Rat Hunter. the english localization and voice acting in it just kills me - the game itself is a masterpiece of absurdist comedy. i'll just let the voice acting in this video speak for itself

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Star Wolves
Silent Storm\Sentinels standalone addon
Goldenland 2\ Cold Heaven standalone addon
Ex Machina and expansion
Tension(The Void) and Pathologic if you like artsy crap. Maybe Wangers as well if you like LSD tripping devs releasing their brainfarts as games.
Planet Alcatraz aka Dungeon Cleaners. Though i heard english version is butchered by censorship. What a surprise
Konung 1-2. If you like slavic fantasy.
Space Rangers. I think there are two of those.
Sea Dogs
Allods 1-2
Evil Islands
Spells of Gold. Fantasy jew simulator.
Il-2 Sturmovik
Parkan
Brigade E5. Hard to recommend, but still, it's real time tactics ja2 clone. There is also 7.62 game and mods to it.
Paradise Cracked. COPS 2170: Power of Law stand alone addon.
Etherlords 1-2
Hard to Be God
No Time for Dragons
Alpha Antiterror and Alpha Antiterror Man's Job expansion

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Sabotain: Break the Rules might hit the spot for you if you want a semi-open world cyberpunk FPS with RPG elements. It has its fair share of problems (AI / wonky physics / minor bugs), but beggars can't be choosers, it might work for you if you're ready to deal with rusjank.

Humanophage

Arcane
List_of_exUSSR_Videogames_4chan.jpg

Also, the high-res version download link.
Nice picture. I had no idea about a few games. This looks great:

Ex Machina
Crossout from the same devs is excellent. One of the few actiony games that I like. Design your own vehicle and do PvP. Pretty interesting free market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom