Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ruski Game Recommendations

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Original War. Czech game, but close enough, no? :)

(It's a great game btw, fantastic story)

Parsifarka

Arcane
I support many of the recommendations so far (specially Rage of Mages, Elven Legacy and King's Bounty), but must add two divines: Gods: Lands of infinity and Hard to be a God.

7fe9c90c48b784e71541d7c4830270d2_img.jpg

BTW, go watch Yuryevich's homonym film.

A horse of course

Disciples 2

Weren't they French/Québécois? I had a brief email correspondence with one of the artists about the team iirc, some of whom went on to work for Ubisoft. It was 3 and the subsequent novels that were handled by russians.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Disciples 2

Weren't they French/Québécois? I had a brief email correspondence with one of the artists about the team iirc, some of whom went on to work for Ubisoft. It was 3 and the subsequent novels that were handled by russians.

He probably meant Disciples 3
I thought all Disciples were made by one team... Well it explains why D3 sucked.

Majesty 2 and The Void were made in Russia.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Can't believe Space Rangers 2 isnt yet mentioned. Doesnt get any better than this.

Also Men of War series if you're into WWII shite.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Can't believe Space Rangers 2 isnt yet mentioned. Doesnt get any better than this.

Also Men of War series if you're into WWII shite.

literally the 4th reply in this thread

to add:
Precursors
Xenus (Boiling Point: Road to Hell)
Xenus 2 (White Gold: War in Paradise)

very flawed but ambitious and interesting open world shooters. make sure to download the fan patches for them

Gulman series

:lol:

Thats relatively modern trash produced by insane gamedev.ru dweller. Why not recommend Swiborg as well.
Also if we start talking about trash: Malgrimia 1 and 2 - great potential but shitty game design. Look at screenshots and weep. Gameplay is a mess. Could be great game if they bothered to hire game designer.
malg_scr_2310.jpg

hero_dlg.jpg

malgrimii_150207_04.jpg

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Gulman series

:lol:

Thats relatively modern trash produced by insane gamedev.ru dweller. Why not recommend Swiborg as well.
Also if we start talking about trash: Malgrimia 1 and 2 - great potential but shitty game design. Look at screenshots and weep. Gameplay is a mess. Could be great game if they bothered to hire game designer.
malg_scr_2310.jpg

hero_dlg.jpg

malgrimii_150207_04.jpg
looks like a nice HoMM clone

:negative:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Heard some nice things about Golden Lands and addon but can't find this thing anywhere, even on my "last resort" places.
There is also lost fan-made sequel to the Evil Island - Lost in Astrale, unfortunately it's only in rusian and potato (and it's free).

Man of Prey (Marauder) continues to pique my interests, anyone have opinions on this?

Pretty cool game about scavenging (hence the title) in near post apocaliptic setting (more like Mad Max 1 setting, including shredded society and order, roaming raiders but no catastrophe which started this etc.).
It's from people responsible for Brigade E5 and 7'62 High Calibre. What that mean? You can be sure that real-time combat won't be total clusterfuck like 99% of RTwP titles.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Heard some nice things about Golden Lands and addon but can't find this thing anywhere, even on my "last resort" places.

Holy shit. Is there any way to play this in english? How do we get our hands on Golden Lands? Looks really good.

Edit: Looks like there isn't. Too bad.

Last edited:

Soulcucker

Savant
Blitzkrieg 1, Stalingrad, Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath, Talvisota: Icy Hell

iqzulk

Augur
Holy shit. Is there any way to play this in english? How do we get our hands on Golden Lands? Looks really good.
Edit: Looks like there isn't. Too bad.
The thing about GoldenLand (aka Златогорье 2 = (literally) Goldmountainia 2) is that it's utterly fucking derivative in everything that concerns any aspect of its content. Meaning, so derivative, most of hidden object games from Iphones are less derivative than this. Literally, like, the only point to play this game is to kill 20 hours of time (when you literally have nothing better to do) through a somewhat pleasant, on a purely mechanical level, process of running through errands and occasional very simplistic Fallout-esque (only without body parts targeting) turn-based fights. The engine is good, the interface is ok. The visuals are, sort of, realistic looking. It's really pleasant to control your character - way more so, than in Infinity games. These are the most pleasant things, that can be said about this game. There is no writing style, nothing to look at, no intrigue, fetch quest galore, like, two non-shit musical tracks for the entirety of the game, you name it. The most it ever achieves content-wise is "very mildly amusing". Addon is more of the same, although with much more non-linearity to it (one of the endings is pretty inventive too) - and, I guess, NPCs react to your attempts to rob them now.

There were plans to publish GoldenLand in English-speaking countries, and the English translation, from what I can tell, was completed, but it was scrapped at pretty much the last moment. Spanish version exists though. The addon, from what I can tell, was never released outside of Russian-speaking countries.

Also, GoldenLand being "Goldmountainia 2", there, naturally, exists "Goldmountainia 1". Which DOES have English version, called "Heath: Unchosen Path". Now, I've only seen the thing on YouTube in the complete playthrough of the Russian version of entire thing, spanning, literally, 3 (three) hours (there are two heroes with their own storylines and, at least, a share of unique quests for each, and that playthrough only covered one of them, though). And it was, like, an Early Access game, made by 3 persons and a dog. However! I happened to like, what I saw. It's like those 3 persons, having almost nothing to work with, tried really-really hard to make something they could be sort of proud of, and the dog almost killed itself via exhaustion during that process. The entire thing can be sort of described as a mini attempt at FallOut with BG1 storyline in fantasy slav setting and with animation from hell. And, well, in contrast with GoldenLand, the writing worked (don't hold your breath, I am 95% sure it was entirely lost in translation), the story was genuinely intriguing (ditto), the last conversation made perfect fucking sense (ditto), the music was awesome, and that moment with the amazon and her sidequest was really-really smart. There was style to the thing, however amateurishly it was done, and there was obvious care that gleamed from certain parts of the game. Just where all of this evaporated between Heath and GoldenLand, I do not know, but it's as if GoldenLand was made via entirely different team altogether. BTW, I am, sort of, considering giving that other hero a go one day to see, what's different in her respective storyline. But, yeah, with all said and done, it's still "Gooka 1"-level game or, at best, Anito: Defend a Land Enraged (although thrice shorter) level one. Meaning, it's still, figuratively speaking, a game "made by 3 people and a dog", which is probably atrociously translated, and which has at least one gamebreaking but to it as well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Marauder: Man of Prey got similar fate - game was translated into english but not released in the west. Sounds like developer's swan song to me (after that there was demo of their sci-fi project, then they closed the studio).
Well, game was somewhat released, in potato gaming magazine Play! in 1/2012 and I even tried to ask staff "how did that happened?" but no answer.

I can get that prequel (Heath: Unchosen Path) but GoldenLands is nowhere to be found. Even if it's garbage - still would test it, more than another beth's title, like most codexers do instead of playing incline/good games.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Put it on the list: "Paradise Cracked" tbRPG
I see somebody remembered "Hard to be God"(soviet Gothic):love:

iqzulk

Augur
I can get that prequel (Heath: Unchosen Path) but GoldenLands is nowhere to be found. Even if it's garbage - still would test it
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly playable, serviceable game. With the only, and huge, problem being, that it's a product - and nothing more than a product. That's literally it. It's a "proper" game that has very little of anything even remotely notable to it, and that was made by a team that had a couple of really good programmers to it.

I mean, you can play Kreed, made by the same team at the same time. The most that can be said about it, is that it sort of resembles Q2 style-wise (although with level-design shittier than indoors in Halo:CE), that the bots are sort of smart, that it's sort of challenging on the two higher difficulties, that the graphics, on the technical side, were "proper" for 2003, that the entirety of writing and directing is utter shit, and that the medkit gimmick sort of works in quite an interesting way, granted one plays on the aforementioned higher difficulties. And even less can be said about addon, other than that level-design got very marginally better, and that the game now can be quite literally facerolled on hard difficulty, meaning that you can disregard everything I wrote about AI and medkit gimmick in the original game, and that the addon is thrice as repetitive and boring as the original game, despite being thrice shorter. Granted everything aforementioned, Kreed is, by and large, a proper and serviceable game, and were you trapped on an uninhabited island (technical aspects of this impossible situations omitted) with this and only this game installed on your laptop, playing it wouldn't kill you. In fact, it's even possible it would elicit something like "Oh, OK" or "Well, it's a pretty decent game" from you or something. And pretty much the same goes for GoldenLand with its addon (well, GoldenLand _is_ a tiny bit better FallOut/Infinity-engine-RPG mix, than Kreed is an FPS game, and Cold Heaven is not nearly as boring and shit, as Battle for Savitar is).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom