Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Runemaster, Norse-themed randomized sandbox tactical RPG from Paradox - CANCELLED

Ladonna

Arcane
I wonder what old RPG they will try to bring back next? Traveler?

Nathair

Educated
Anything 'consoleish' surely most likely to be those steam box things? If they're targeting Linux anyway they'll be doing those too, pretty well automatically.

Actually those will probably make EUIV/CKII 'console' games ;)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's kind of funny to see a bizarro glut of Nordic-ish RPGs clustered together. Skyrim really made an impact, I guess. (Otherwise, I have no idea, it just seems odd.) Now Heroine's Quest, Banner Saga and Runemaster. Maybe Vikings are the new dragons.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The Nordic mythology theme is corny and annoying as hell.
Fuck you.
Norse Mythology is a rare beast in games, unlike the generic Tolkien-esque crap you eat every day.

Actually, I wish there were more good games that use it (and use it right).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People who are 'fed up' with the Nordic setting... what settings haven't been done to death? Steampunk? Cowboy RPGs?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Colonization of Australia, concentration camps, geriatric society, Enuma Elish, PC as politician, Mithraic Mysteries, Apartheid SA, Planescape.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People who are 'fed up' with the Nordic setting... what settings haven't been done to death? Steampunk? Cowboy RPGs?

Is anyone actually fed up with it? I haven't seen that - certainly not yet, it just seems weird to see a bunch of developers seeming to hop on the same bandwagon all at once. I doubt it all has nothing to do with Skyrim's success (Banner Saga apparently tries to tell a fairly authentic Nordic themed story or so I hear and Heroine's Quest was in development forever, so maybe it's just a weird coincidence). Maybe in a few years, it'll be the new Forgotten Realm's Sword Coast / Generic European forest of video gaming.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Cosmology of Kyoto's setting could also make for a very good RPG.

Ninjerk

Arcane
golden age of islam
EDIT: migration period
EDIT2: bronze age mediterranean that isn't some retarded version of greek mythology
EDIT3: ancient egypt
EDIT4: ancient india

subotaiy

Cipher
Byzanthium, Ottoman Empire, Mongols, colonizations.
And yes, I'm fed up with nordic/viking stuff myself.It's pretty much a trend nowadays.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Those are all boring, though. Might as well suggest 1990's Seattle.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Steam is the least intrusive "app store" I've ever used.

It only gets a little silly when you don't have an internet connection, and the game is hooked into its DRM. Otherwise, it's smooth sailing. It barely uses any resources, and a few clicks in the preferences makes it as quiet as a church mouse.

Going Steam exclusive is a -good- thing in my opinion. It saves developer time, and puts everything in one place for the consumer. Bonus points for Valve giving two fucks about its customer and consistently delivering on the customer's demands.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
- also released on console

Yeah... umm... I am not going to hold my breath on this being anything more than complete crap.

Paradox decided to go Steam Exclusive because "only 5%" don't buy their games from Steam...

how long before they decide to use the same argument in favor of switching their focus towards consoles?

:hmmm:
Can you even imagine a time when 95% of Grand Strategy gamers are on console?!

Ninjerk

Arcane
The setting of the Ramayana itself is somewhat interesting. I've told myself on occasion that I want to finish the Bhagavadgita as it seems interesting, too.

dryan

Arcane
Byzantium would be an awesome setting. And it can also accommodate viking fans with the Varangians.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Preview at the Escapist:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...parts-from-Strategy-With-Norse-RPG-Runemaster

A dev post about the combat system:
Birken said:
Wow, I so want to make a proper reply, but I'm on my ipad in an airport right now. Fallout was a great reference, but you'll control all your units and wont have to save your stupid allies from suiciding all the time. More on this when I'm back at the office.
Immurshonfag doesn't like it.
Colombo said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hate when one has to command all his companions in RPG.
Colombo said:
shorty84 said:
I like that... so you don't have those "WTF is my mage doing??? Beating is bloody staff against the shin of that 5m tall Ogre???" - moments.
Yeah but it breaks me immersion. And that is what I need in RPG games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Colombo said:
shorty84 said:
I like that... so you don't have those "WTF is my mage doing??? Beating is bloody staff against the shin of that 5m tall Ogre???" - moments.
Yeah but it breaks me immersion. And that is what I need in RPG games.

Immersion breaking: controlling your mage npc

Not immersion breaking: having ai-controlled mage melee a ton of ogre

Idiot logic: undeniable

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I am very upset about comments from mainstream gaming news sites

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom