Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just because Gaider did some good writing way back when doesn't mean he's still a good writer, and all evidence points to him not having a clue any more. He's an old codger who hasn't written anything decent in a long time.

A little reminder:

Gaider wrote for Dragon Age II, where he had a major contribution to the plot, creating the characters Cassandra Pentaghast, Fenris, and Meredith

In any case, as much as I adore Viconia, I'd be the first to admit that she's not a very well-written character. It's less than she's well-written, and more that it's simply refreshing to have a character, and love interest, that doesn't fall in love with you in the very first conversation, and actually challenges the you in conversations. Viconia couldn't exist in a modern RPG because she'd be too 'problematic'.
Viconia's a typical tsundere, nothing unusual about that. :M

btbgfel

Scholar
If it is true, then bg3 won't be about the bhaalspawn. From what I hear, there is a 5e official module in which another of his siblings, the one teleports whenever he felt nervous, tried to assassinate the bhaalspawn(who gave up godhood and retried in baldur's gate in canon). Whether Abdel Adrian get killed by/killed his sibling or not, bhaal will reborn, and the last bhaalspawn will be no more.

rating_citation.png
though

Sizzle

Arcane
If it is true, then bg3 won't be about the bhaalspawn. From what I hear, there is a 5e official module in which another of his siblings, the one teleports whenever he felt nervous, tried to assassinate the bhaalspawn(who gave up godhood and retried in baldur's gate in canon). Whether Abdel Adrian get killed by/killed his sibling or not, bhaal will reborn, and the last bhaalspawn will be no more.

rating_citation.png
though

Here you go.

An excerpt:

For a time it was believed that Bhaal's resurrection had been ended. The last known Bhaalspawn, Abdel Adrian, resisted the murderous impulses caused by his lineage and became a famed and beloved figure in the city of Baldur's Gate. Near the beginning of the era known as the Second Sundering, in 1482 DR, another Bhaalspawn, Viekang, who was thought dead, attacked Adrian as he spoke to a crowd in the portion of town known as The Wide. The ultimate winner of the duel is unknown, although it matters not as the victor transformed into a massive, blood-soaked creature and began a rampage that was only stopped when a group of adventurers new to Baldur's Gate defeated and killed the monstrosity. These events marked the revival of Bhaal as he reclaimed the murder domain from Cyric.

And what this means - is that the entirety of the Baldur's Gate saga has been completely pointless :lol:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If they are doing BG3 they should hire Beamdog writers

/cut

What could go wrong

To be fair my memory of Baldur's Gates' writing is somewhat fuzzy at this point, but it always read like something out of an actual D&D campaign that tried to at least take itself remotely seriously. Beamdog's writing always has this annoying habit of trying to one-up your conversation partner or have some zany phrase/final word that's supposed to stick with the player. I don't care what Beamdog says in their blogs, but that flavor of dialog being written by genuine RPG or fantasy fans is simply not there anymore. These writers have something to prove to their Reddit audience, it seems.

turkishronin

Arcane

/cut

What could go wrong

To be fair my memory of Baldur's Gates' writing is somewhat fuzzy at this point, but it always read like something out of an actual D&D campaign that tried to at least take itself remotely seriously. Beamdog's writing, and honestly modern writing in most RPGs, always has this annoying habit of trying to one-up your conversation parnter or have some zany phrase/final word that's supposedly to stick with the player. I don't care what Beamdog says in their blogs, but that flavor of dialog being written by genuine RPG or fantasy fans is simply not there anymore. These writers have something to prove to their Reddit audience, it seems.

Yeah it was my first time playing BG2 and I could quickly tell that it was something that Beamdog could have done.
It's like some guy was tasked with writing the lines and he did it with "I HAVE TO MAKE THIS ONE LINE AS COOL AS POSSIBLE!!!" in mind

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

/cut

What could go wrong

To be fair my memory of Baldur's Gates' writing is somewhat fuzzy at this point, but it always read like something out of an actual D&D campaign that tried to at least take itself remotely seriously. Beamdog's writing, and honestly modern writing in most RPGs, always has this annoying habit of trying to one-up your conversation parnter or have some zany phrase/final word that's supposedly to stick with the player. I don't care what Beamdog says in their blogs, but that flavor of dialog being written by genuine RPG or fantasy fans is simply not there anymore. These writers have something to prove to their Reddit audience, it seems.

Yeah it was my first time playing BG2 and I could quickly tell that it was something that Beamdog could have done.
It's like some guy was tasked with writing the lines and he did it with "I HAVE TO MAKE THIS ONE LINE AS COOL AS POSSIBLE!!!" in mind

All the options lead to the same outcome anyway, it's pretty fucking lazy to only have 3. The snarky Reddit answers wouldn't stand out so much if they were just one option among many.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since Larian loves talking inanimate objects, I guess Lilarcor will be the main character?
That would actually be pretty awesome.
Instead of being an adventurer who chooses his weapons, you are a weapon who chooses his adventurers.
They give you certain bonuses, and you can increase your skills in various companion types.

There's also a romance with a hand-ballista and a same-sex one with an elvish blade.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just because Gaider did some good writing way back when doesn't mean he's still a good writer, and all evidence points to him not having a clue any more. He's an old codger who hasn't written anything decent in a long time.

A little reminder:

Gaider wrote for Dragon Age II, where he had a major contribution to the plot, creating the characters Cassandra Pentaghast, Fenris, and Meredith

In any case, as much as I adore Viconia, I'd be the first to admit that she's not a very well-written character. It's less than she's well-written, and more that it's simply refreshing to have a character, and love interest, that doesn't fall in love with you in the very first conversation, and actually challenges the you in conversations. Viconia couldn't exist in a modern RPG because she'd be too 'problematic'.
Plot of DA2 was least of its problems.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how this lines gonna change.

Viconia: Sarevok, may I share a whispered word with you?
Sarevok: Yes, drow? What is it you want?
Viconia: I miss the customs of my homeland, like the breaking in of new pleasure slaves. The largest and strongest were the hardest to break, but they were the most rewarding. Sarevok, I find your great size... intriguing.
Sarevok: Were you to break me, Viconia, you might find nothing but the chill emptiness of the grave within.
Viconia: That does not repulse me as you might imagine. We drow are ever eager to broaden our... experiences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom