Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rules of the Codex - Enhanced Edition (2012)

Cassidy

Arcane
Can't someone just get Prosper's dox, mail his mentally unhealthy struggle to keep prospering over Kodex to his own relatives and let them take it from here?

:hero:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I noticed that too, but if someone really wants to join it should be no obstacle.

Obviously, but when someone starts posting, they don't necessarily really want to join. I first posted because I wanted to comment on the Penny-Arcade guys being douchebag, but I never thought I would come to post regularly. Had the actual system been in place I would've probably just rolled my eyes and went somewhere else.

Perhaps. But there will also be enough who wait a bit. And can't we really do without those 1 time comments?

I just wonder if it's really worth to potentially curb on new quality membership for 3-4 troublemakers who can possibly be dealt with through other means.

But 3-4 troublemakers can make 1000s of posts!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thing is, I (and the other mods too I'd guess) am quite lenient towards new posters. Someone posts something that's of even slight relevance to the thread, approve. Someone makes a stupid one-liner, posts an unrelated youtube video or meme pic, obviously just wants to troll (and uses lots of LOLs and haha faggots), posts something retarded in GD, I delete it.

If someone's post consists of nothing but a quote followed by "LOL!" he shouldn't be surprised it was deleted. On the other hand, someone posting "That is a good game, I played it back in 2004!" or "Well I think Mass Effect is the future of gaming because *2 paragraphs follow*" is going to get through. First example has barely any content but is a normal, non-shitty post, even though banal and not very interesting. The second example means the person has a shit taste for games but there's no reason to delete it because he actually put effort into it.

Really, the only ones who are deterred are those who post shit. It's quite easy to see from the first couple of posts someone makes if he's a retard or a normal/good poster.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I first posted because I wanted to comment on the Penny-Arcade guys being douchebag, but I never thought I would come to post regularly. Had the actual system been in place I would've probably just rolled my eyes and went somewhere else.
I don't see the problem here...

Also:

user_reg.png

Registrations have been the usual 4 / 5 per day average since forever. The 40 posts there is when everyone didn't have a password after the rollover.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You (moderators) have been doing a swell job lately. There was a lot of herpaderp right before the forum switched to Xenforo, now it's really cool. Especially the alts of some really notorious trolls here have been almost shut down and it's cool. I know from a different forum how shitty it is to approve/disapprove such messages, so it's a bit refreshing to see how smooth it can suddenly go from a user side on a forum.

Keep it up.

:bro:

Repressed Homosexual
I didn't mean to look pompous, I'm no one special. But still, I'm curious, because from what I recall, you said there was a hefty rise in activity. One would reckon that the registrations would rise as well, and we would see more active users. It seems however that it is not the case, and there could be in fact less new active members.

Maybe I'm seeing things, although I'm not the only one who seems to have noticed this, and at any rate this is your board and it looks like for now this policy won't change, and I ultimately don't care all that much, but I wonder if this is a change for the better. Forums like these are better when there is a wide variety of posters contributing different opinions, and it looks like this could contribute to making things veer in the opposite direction, one that's more cliquish.

Cassidy

Arcane
I will get out of RPGCodex if "Skyrim is a good game, try it" becomes a near absolutely agreed PoV.

Fortunately the "hivemind" is more of a joke than a true look on the nature of the Codex users and their opinions.

Just look at GD for example. While in many shit forums either the liberals or the conservatives or -insert ideology here- will have absolute majority, sometimes even with the backing of biased moderators from either side where people with dissenting opinions are labelled "trolls" and banned while the cocksucking continues, in the Codex, although one side is definitively more vocal than the other, they are more or less equally represented as are almost all kinds of obscure and not so obscure political, religious and sexual points of view.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
But still, I'm curious, because from what I recall, you said there was a hefty rise in activity. One would reckon that the registrations would rise as well, and we would see more active users. It seems however that it is not the case, and there could be in fact less new active members.
Well, if I've done this correctly....

Users registered between Oct 1 2011 - Jan 1 2012
606 users registered
5,025 posts were made by them during that period
8.2 posts per new user average​

NOTE: Includes the bump of 40 users who registered after we went live with XF on 29 Dec 2011 and a few days down-time.

Users registered between Jan 1 2012 - Apr 2 2012:
522 users registered
6,287 posts have been made by those users
12 posts per new user average​

So about 14% less users posting 25% more (though to be honest, probably not really that many less - if any - as there were about 60+ accounts registered by people because they couldn't get their password for their old account. Though this would be spread heavily in the first lot and there'd be a few of those in the second lot).

This is also only 3 months of data compared with 3 months prior to the end of the previous year, so take that as it is.

I'd hardly argue this is some kind of massive drop. I can say there have been less threads created since the XF period (over 30 per day vs 40ish per day in the months directly prior) but I can also say that less is being moved to Retardo Land now too. In fact if you go back though Retardo Land, prior to XF we averaged about 5 new threads per day being moved into Retardo Land vs... about as little as 5 per week now. We also have a lot less alts trying to register and re-registering after being banned.

So a substantial decrease in the amount of shit being posted and moved into Retardo Land, but with an increase in posts overall and a slight decrease in the number of registered users. In other words: All we seem to have lost is the shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm liking this new age we are living in: Lynch mobs after Bioware...RPG dream teams being formed making TB party games...Shit posts and trolling dropping markedly on the Codex as a result of Andhaira and Liberal gone and all the other shitty alts and trolls also having disappeared with them(funny that)...maybe Konjad will go soon as well to really clean the place up...RPG discussions about proper RPG stuff coming to the fore again...GD becoming ever more irrelevant....

End of days indeed...but end of the decline!

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If Cleve still has his US residency then we can expect another exciting Kickstarter soon as well ;) So when the Mayans proclaimen the world ending in 2012, they were actually only talking about the decline ending.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I gotta say, the quality of the codex has improved noticeably lately. Keep up the good work DU and Co!

Cassidy

Arcane
If Cleve still has his US residency then we can expect another exciting Kickstarter soon as well ;) So when the Mayans proclaimen the world ending in 2012, they were actually only talking about the decline ending.

Sometimes I wonder if Cleve already finished Grimoire but is holding up release for after ITZ so those with enough IQ to have established self-powered bunkers will be able to enjoy it while the world drowns into the Congoid buttsex apocalypse.

Phelot

Arcane
Running Fox, or BlackBartCharlie, whatever, may be rude at times, but he contributes to talks and debates and is active in LPs.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Running Fox, or BlackBartCharlie, whatever, may be rude at times, but he contributes to talks and debates and is active in LPs.
Rude at times? Try all the time.

Orgasm/BBC comes here for no other purpose other than drama, hostility towards posters he doesn't like, and throwing racial slurs around.

When was the last time he actually TALKED about something or anything? Can you link to it? Seriously?

Phelot

Arcane
Rude at times? Try all the time.

Orgasm/BBC comes here for no other purpose other than drama, hostility towards posters he doesn't like, and throwing racial slurs around.

When was the last time he actually TALKED about something or anything? Can you link to it? Seriously?

Soviet POV of WW2 - hilarious schoolbook

Throughout that whole thread he has been talking. He's also pretty supportive in some LPs.

Phelot

Arcane
Running Fox, or BlackBartCharlie, whatever, may be rude at times
That's not the problem here. The problem here is him being a retarded faggot.

Also, how do you know Retarded Fag is BBC?

We have our ways, DraQ. WE have our ways.

Running Fox is making a concerted effort to be better. I assume this is because I've been praying for him, just like my prayers for Liberal to return have been answered.

While Hiver white knights through violent language, I white knight through the proven power of prayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom