Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTWP games in the vein of Freedom Force?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Basically I started replaying the game and to my surprise it is one of the few games for which my nostalgia goggles held up. It really is genuinely good (I dare say it might be Ken Levine's best game). Of course if Gold/Silver age comics put you off you stand no chance of liking the setting, it is super cheesy, people get hit through walls with lampposts and somehow survive, that sort of stuff.

But what surprised me the most think this game has my favorite RTWP combat system mainly due to maps with a lot of vertical elements, destructible terrain, a lot of hard counters combined with many methods to work around them if you approach carefully and the thing I liked the most was the mobility. Due to having quite a few abilities that push characters around, flying, teleportation etc. many of the bigger battles actually take place across multiple screens and it really does feel epic at times due to this. I do admit that the gameplay only comes into its own after the first arc where the 4 main guys meet and you have full parties.

So anything similar ever made?

laclongquan

Arcane
Tried this game before.

It has potential. The character build has serious potential and can get you busy for hours.

But somehow it has no soul, which was my feeling.

The central story, if exist, has no hook to lure players in. The sidekick stories seem nonexistent.

I would love to play another game of this type, but better.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Apart from the obvious sequel, Freedom Force vs 3rd Reich, I unfortunately can't think of any. Too bad because I, too, liked these games.

Plus,

NUCLEAR WINTER.... OH OH OH... TURNS YOUR LAND TO SNOW

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Loved that theme and the game is without a doubt the finest rtwp system too, with an action pool for special abilities and great customizing options, plus the spot on silver age vibe and characterization are second to none. Now that Levine is out of the huge AAA gaming I would kickstart this baby in a new york minute

deuxhero

Arcane
I can't get the first game to work because the cursor defaults to attack for everything (not move) on modern OSes. I can barely force through the first mission by right click moving because there's nothing that really requires precise movement or going up on roofs without enemies on them, but it's clearly imposssible for future ones. Is there a fix?

Vt3R works fine though and is fantastic so far though. Only RTWP game I've seen actually work (prehaps because there are no internal "turns"). None of the levels so far have given me any real cause to split my squad very far before killing everyone though (currently after the first red sun mission).

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
To be more clear on my position, I have bad affinity with comics-related games. I have no problem at all with manga-related, or chinese-influenced, but american comics can go up my nose without trying.

So yeah, Freedom Force feel like a soulless plastic doll. My dick cant get hard with it~

Shevek

Arcane
To be more clear on my position, I have bad affinity with comics-related games. I have no problem at all with manga-related, or chinese-influenced, but american comics can go up my nose without trying.

So yeah, Freedom Force feel like a soulless plastic doll. My dick cant get hard with it~
So, you need your comics to be full of androgenous 13 year old boy heros with spikey hair that run about in unintelligible plots with the same few shitty anime tropes for them to have soul?

Dude, respectfully, no.

Also, FF was great. I remember all the custom heroes people made for it too. Good stuff.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ooooooh edgy~ At least before issuing a blanket statement about another media, checking the top ten products first. Berserk? Claymore? Ravages of Time? etc?

It's a 5 second search so I cant give you the best representative image of Berserk :regret:
lberserk017-chapter003-page046-047.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Ooooooh edgy~ At least before issuing a blanket statement about another media, checking the top ten products first. Berserk? Claymore? Ravages of Time? etc?

It's a 5 second search so I cant give you the best representative image of Berserk :regret:
lberserk017-chapter003-page046-047.jpg

Try to spoiler huge pictures/scans.
And you might at least not post the super western inspired manga stuff to prove your point. Use :obviously: Nippon Vagabond manga.

KO_Scans_Vagabond_v22_c197_002_003.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
I really liked how Vt3R removed penalties for destroying buildings and had a story reason (who cares if some Nazi buildings get flattened) shame there's only one map so far (The Berlin map which is repeated like... 5 times) where there's any buildings worth blowing up.

Having El Diablo ambush a group of soilders by staying on a rooftop and throwing an Inferno down on them as they pass by the side is really fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom