Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPS Top 50 FPS

DraQ

Arcane
Half Life is overrated, with it the decline of "cinematic" experiences began. And Far Cry 2 (and 3 but not 1), really?
Let's not go in there again.
no Heretic, no Hexen, no Outlaws, no Blood, no Sin, no Kingpin, no Unreal (DraQ), no UT99
:x

This thing made me a bit :smug: though:
“What about SHOGO?” It’s number 51.
“What about Blood?” It’s number 51.
“What about Return To Castle Wolfenstein?” It’s number 51.
“What about Wolfenstein 3D?” It’s number 51.
“What about Kingpin?” It’s number 51.
“What about all the other Call of Duties?” They’re number 501.
Problem CoDpieces?
:troll:

DraQ

Arcane
- To get on the list and be considered an FPS, the primary means of interacting with the world has to be shooting or hitting things (hence no Deus Ex). And no System Shock 2 because even though it doesn't escape that previous definition, the shooting isn't the best part of that game (their opinion, not mine).
But then why not System Shock 1? It's a pure FPS, at least compared to the likes of Dishonored (which is an ok title for such list but also an unashamed DX-like), and even today is a fresher and more relevant game than at least half of the entries.
And why fucking Thief? It uses FPS mechanics but in a way it's an anti-shooter - if Thief is in then shouldn't Deus Ex which is great AND malleable enough to support both Thief and FPS style gameplay be included automatically?

- Related to the above, the writer joked that if the definition were broader, they'd be forced to include "walking simulators" like Gone Home, so be happy they were discerning enough for that.
Then why fucking Typing of The Dead?
Actually, scratch the quote and "then":

Why fucking Typing of The Dead at all for any reason whatsoever?
:abyssgazer:

DraQ

Arcane
The website being RPS, Rule Nuke probably isn't there because sexism and Shadow Warrior because racism.

Probably? C'mon man, we all know that's the exact reason.

Obviously, but we have to question how many other games might be missing because they hurt RPS's feelings.

Deus Ex? Racist accents.
System Shock? Misogynistic for making a woman the villain and especially the midwifes in SS2.
Jedi Knight 2? Umm... I think another racist accent?
Unreal? ...help, I can't figure this one out.
Nali portrayal being implicitly racist?
And rightly so.
:martini:
:gloriousskaarjmasterrace:

Last edited:
The whole thing with Skaarj enslaving the Nali slipped my mind. Of course that would make the game haram for the virtuous people at RPS.

Riskbreaker

Player character is a Strong Woman tho. And, she is saving those poor natives from Manly Skaarj Oppressors.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Why fucking Typing of The Dead at all for any reason whatsoever?
:abyssgazer:

Preaching to the choir here.

You see, you start with a reasonable list compiled through both a broad and deep understanding of the genre in question - a list that of course is shaped by opinion but is clearly informed on the subject. That's perhaps the ideal, and was the goal of early list articles such as this.

Then somebody realized that the lists that were created by people who didn't have a deep understanding of what they were talking about (and possibly didn't even have a broad understanding) made people angry, and angry people comment on your article and share it with others, and suddenly your non-ideal list is getting 10x the views of an ideal one.

So now the formula: start with a poorly informed list, then remove several obvious entries, replace them with nonsensical unjustifiable ones, then for fun randomize the order. Top it off with snarky comments that hint that you don't give a shit while simultaneously suggesting that you know enough to speak with authority, and you have perfect RPS-style clickbait, tailor-made for consumption by other assholes who think they know everything worth knowing about a subject but can't be serious about expressing it because they get properly shit on for doing it.

DraQ

Arcane
So now the formula: start with a poorly informed list, then remove several obvious entries, replace them with nonsensical unjustifiable ones, then for fun randomize the order. Top it off with snarky comments that hint that you don't give a shit while simultaneously suggesting that you know enough to speak with authority, and you have perfect RPS-style clickbait, tailor-made for consumption by other assholes who think they know everything worth knowing about a subject but can't be serious about expressing it because they get properly shit on for doing it.
Wouldn't it be more logical to start with a good list then throw in a bunch of random shit, maybe removing a handful of good games to fuel the butthurt?

Actually there are very few lists that don't look like that.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Probably, but then they'd have to be able to compile a good list in the first place. When I say they start with a poorly informed list, it's because they aren't actually capable of doing any better even if they wanted to. So instead, they openly take pride in how the list is purpose-crafted to be awful and just brush aside any criticism by pointing out that you're the dumb one for even taking them seriously.

Machocruz

Arcane
Is this fucking real life? Thief? Dishonored?

When we talk about good first-person shooters, so often we mean that the movement felt good rather than that the shooting felt good

No, that's' what you retards do. I now know why Oblivions get 10s. The adults were right: gaming fries your brains, kids

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I...this list.

OP, when you point out garbage on a relatively large forum you also promote it to said forum. Any exposure is better than no exposure at all. This is exactly how the decline of the entertainment industries came to be; garbage was consistently promoted and still is.

When I logged in to the shitdex today I was exposed to information unknown to me: the existence of this list and its contents.
Wouldn't you prefer it be incline you're exposing members to when you create threads?
Oh wait, RPGshitdex. Drama, decline whores.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

When we talk about good first-person shooters, so often we mean that the movement felt good rather than that the shooting felt good

No, that's' what you retards do.
Movement was very important in oldschool FPS games and is one of the most glaring differences between them and modern popamoles.
Movement is what allows player to meaningfully use any level layout beyond simple corridor punctuated with chest high walls, so yeah, game nailing movement is fucking important and arguably more important than game nailing shooting.

Even a modern style FPS can benefit immensely from dynamic and free movement, vide STALKER series, so a modern game nailing movement as hard as Dishonored did has some legitimate reasons to be considered for inclusion in such list.

Machocruz

Arcane

Movement was very important in oldschool FPS games and is one of the most glaring differences between them and modern popamoles.
Movement is what allows player to meaningfully use any level layout beyond simple corridor punctuated with chest high walls, so yeah, game nailing movement is fucking important and arguably more important than game nailing shooting.

Even a modern style FPS can benefit immensely from dynamic and free movement, vide STALKER series, so a modern game nailing movement as hard as Dishonored did has some legitimate reasons to be considered for inclusion in such list.
But movement does not allow Thief to be categorized as a First Person Shooter. A shooter in first person with crap movement is still a FPS.

DraQ

Arcane

But movement does not allow Thief to be categorized as a First Person Shooter. A shooter in first person with crap movement is still a FPS.
The inclusion of Thief is baffling, but Dishonored?

Machocruz

Arcane

Still baffling to me. Can gunplay carry you through the whole game? (straight question, never tried to) Still, this is RPS we're talking about. I think it's either disingenuous or ignorant on their part. If the answer to my question is No, then gunplay is just another tool among others and not definitive. What do you think of Dishonored's FPS legitimacy?

Btw, I agree that movement is extremely important in FPS and ANY action game. A lot of modern FPS fail, imo, because they try to simulate the feeling of muscular effort. Too much inertia, slow start up, heavy/plodding feeling. That's not how it really "feels" when it's you performing actions in real life, and I prefer smoother and crisper movement in damn video games.

Alfons

Prophet
I disagree with the COD4 lol to an extent. It's present in a lot of "best shooters of all time lists" and that probably stems from the fact that anytime anyone makes a "best of all time list" they don't fully understand wtf it means and include things which are "best for its time". COD4 came in when the FPS market was flooded with WW2 games and it was refreshing to see something set in present-day. I enjoyed both the single and multiplayer, neither of which are anything special. The story was a basic tale of some professional badasses doing badass shit, there aren't any twists or character development, but that's the point. The multi is the same thing, for the most part it's bare bones with a few additions to older formulas.

The problems I always had with the game are the infispawn enemies in single and the retarded killstreaks in multi, but for some reason the devs think that adding more of it is the way to go. I only played 2 games past COD4 and only 1 to competition before I quit the series. As it stands right now the series is considered a joke by anyone who is past 13 and who isn't the archetypical college dudebro, and rightfully so, the franchise as a whole is shit. But as far as COD4 is concerned I still think it's a great basic FPS game, whether it's fucking GOAT list worthy might be arguabale.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I like how they overrated Stalker SOC to give themselves some e-cred. Surprise, most of the list is embarrassing and they apparently don't know what the S in FPS stands for...

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Who in their right mind would choose global offensive over the mother game.

:mad:

Terrible just terrible

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/11/how-half-life-killed-the-first-person-shooter/

There is a peculiar irony to the impression people have of gaming. When “videogames” are lazily portrayed in the wider world, they inevitably show a soldier being shot through a gun scope. Hell, even within the highest enclave walls, people are wont to dismiss the poor taste of others by snarking, “They’d probably like it if it had a gun floating at the bottom of the screen.” The first-person shooter is the most emblematic genre of gaming, and yet it’s now the most under-served, under-developed, and rarest of mainstream releases. There are barely any new non-indie FPS games. And it’s all Half-Life’s fault.

:happytrollboy:
Haven't read the article, but the title is right. Half-Life killed the FPS genre.

DraQ

Arcane

Still baffling to me. Can gunplay carry you through the whole game? (straight question, never tried to) Still, this is RPS we're talking about. I think it's either disingenuous or ignorant on their part. If the answer to my question is No, then gunplay is just another tool among others and not definitive. What do you think of Dishonored's FPS legitimacy?
Well, the combat definitely works better than stealth (which is broken due to complete inadequacy of AI vs level design and player movement). It's not your standard FPS fare, especially given that you almost always have a melee weapon equipped in addition to a ranged one or magic and there is emphasis on at least part-time melee, but it's mechanically rich, interesting and relatively fast paced (apart from how awkwardly the enemies use pistols, though I guess it's because of beta testers' butthurt - being 1hk'd all the time had to do that). You can use blink to disorient enemies in combat or line them up for friendly fire, you can score headshots with ranged weapons or shoot people in the feet to make them fall over then run up to them and finish them (useful against those inquisitor guys in metal masks), you have pistol which is often an instakill weapon, but also loud, not very good at long range and with limited number of shots before reload, you have crossbow with 3 different kinds of ammo, you have explosive bullets for pistol, you have a bunch of powers and auxiliary weapons like grenades and springrazors.
Overall the action and semi action gameplay works really well, is highly lethal on both sides and encourages use of different systems together along with movement, so yeah, I'd say it works well as an FPS.

It's a shame that narratively the game rewards non-violence and full stealth (which might be argument against it making the list), but fails to make them interesting.

Btw, I agree that movement is extremely important in FPS and ANY action game. A lot of modern FPS fail, imo, because they try to simulate the feeling of muscular effort. Too much inertia, slow start up, heavy/plodding feeling. That's not how it really "feels" when it's you performing actions in real life, and I prefer smoother and crisper movement in damn video games.
And that might be the one thing HL1 is genuinely guilty of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom