Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPS Top 50 FPS

toroid

Arcane
Postal 2 should be recognized as being in the top 20 in any shooter list (top 10 in my personal list) but it's not even in their top 50. Great job.. At least Doom and Stalker are in the top 5.

Wasn't a horrible list until #3, at which point RPS totally went insane. Someone please send help to RPS, they've clearly been consuming too many lead chips.

bloodlover

Arcane
I am surprsied to see FEAR and Metro so down. They are much much better than Far Cry and Wolfenstein imo.

But it's an FPS list with Thief in it so...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yet another list of top games made by gaming "journalists" and like all before it its complete garbage.

Drax

Arcane
Here's my totally fps list of fpses:

1) Mario's Super World 3
2) Magic - The Gathering
3) That time I used a 1st person mod for GTA Vice City
4) Doom
5) Tic-tac-too

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
TRON 2.0

lol_vladimir_putin.gif

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I've seen the foul contents of the omega turbodweeb thread in GD, but I don't think I'm ready to click this link. Too much cringe.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
No Painkiller.

Planetside 2...what; even if going by the novelty of a large scale FPS, why not put Operation Flash Point?

Tribes: Ascend but not Tribes 2? :hahano:

Alien: Isolation is considered an FPS? Then why not Penumbra or Amnesia? Is Myst an FPS?

Halo: Combat Evolved......................

Two call of duty games...Far Cry 2 and 3 but not 1...my brain, agh

When I first saw this thread I figured "Oh it's just gonna be a list of every classic FPS," but no, they actually managed to leave out a bunch of great games and pad the list out with utter nonsense.

Edit: I also just noticed they don't include Deus Ex or System Shock 1 and 2? How can they consider Thief 2 and Alien: Isolation, both of them not focused on Shooting, but leave out Deus Ex or SS? This list is incomprehensible. Wonder how much the publishers paid them to include those newer titles over old classics.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The website being RPS, Duke Nukem probably isn't there because sexism and Shadow Warrior because racism.

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
I take great pleasure in seeing RPS debase itself with stupid clickbait lists, with such appealing inclusions such as #3 - entry that doesn't actually seem to belong to the list in question, #10 - deeply flawed divisive entry that mysteriously ends up near the top of the list , #25 - sequel that by any account was not as good as the first entry, #37 - highly influential classic that we're putting near the bottom because fuck you, and of course who could forget entry #XX - obvious shit that didn't make the list which you'll feel compelled to point out.

Why, it's almost like their RPS GOLD or whatever system they have where you pay money for the privilege of being exposed to the private reserve of John Walker's most incoherent ramblings isn't quite bringing in the money they wanted, and they have to resort to this crap.

Edit: I also just noticed they don't include Deus Ex or System Shock 1 and 2? How can they consider Thief 2 and Alien: Isolation, both of them not focused on Shooting, but leave out Deus Ex or SS? This list is incomprehensible. Wonder how much the publishers paid them to include those newer titles over old classics.

Thief 2 isn't even new compared to DX or SS2. I think that all pre-2005 stuff are just random first person games pulled out of a hat for the purpose of trying to make it less obvious that the list is pandering towards recent games.

potatojohn

Arcane
I wonder if gamejurnos have a script that generates these lists.

Shouldn't be hard to make, just scrape wikipedia genre lists for notable games and then randomly select N.

You could even include some machine learning to optimize clicks by telling it how many clicks previous lists got.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Yeah not including Duke 3D because the humor "hasn't aged well" is absurd. It should be in the list anyway because of its pioneering use of the Build Engine to make vertically oriented levels and such; Half-Life 2 is on that list and the shooting in that game is abysmal, the only reason it could be considered for a list of best FPS games is because of its technical achievements (facial animations, physics, etc), so why does the same criteria not apply to Duke 3D? And for that matter since they are including games like Thief 2, why not Ultima: Underworld - considering that it has been cited by Gabe Newell as one of the main inspirations for Half-Life 1.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah not including Duke 3D because the humor "hasn't aged well" is absurd. It should be in the list anyway

Are you implying that the humor hasn't in fact aged well?

Because it has. In fact, it has aged like fine wine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom