Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGWatch interviews Jeff Vogel. Vogel going Kickstarter soon-ish

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/jeff-vogel-interview-293.html

Some tidbits
Couchpotato: What are some of your favorite RPG games you have played over the years?

Jeff Vogel: There have been so many. I started with Eamon on the Apple II+ in 1980 or so. Then Wizardry in 1983. Then a lot of classics through my teenage years, like other Wizardry games, Phantasie, and, most importantly, Ultima. Later, Baldur's Gate. Planescape: Torment. Fallout. Everquest and World of Warcraft. Dragon's Age. Those are the biggest ones for me.

Couchpotato:
As a follow-up to the last question; what do you think about modern CRPG games?
Jeff Vogel: Wow, so many cool, innovative titles have come out in the last year. I'm playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin and Darkest Dungeon, and belief me, the genre is super-healthy. Which is good for me. A lot of gamers, when they're done with the more high profile indie RPGs, will then discover me.

Couchpotato: You been a developer for over 20 years, what lessons have you learned about game development?

Jeff Vogel: Everything. I mean, it's really hard to answer a question like that because there are so many parts of development, and I learn more things about every aspect every year. It's a really deep and complex field, and I will never be close to mastering it. Or any element of it.

Couchpotato: One of the latest trends nowadays is the rise or crowdfunding. So whats your opinion on crowd-funding, and would you ever consider making a new game with it?

Jeff Vogel: It's awesome. Anything that can give a leg up to small development teams is terrific. And yes, when we make our next new engine, we may well give Kickstarter a shot.

Finally he considers Kickstarter, when he should have been one of the first to use it in the first place. He literally could have shot big with a target closer to a million than not, to make his dream game which he always whines he cannot due to funding, and he would have made it + stretch goals.

Wasteland 2
With a million he would made Avadon with slightly better graphics and voice acting. Geneforge was ok, but I don't expect anything worthwhile from him ever again.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I was thinking he'd go for Avadon 3 in Unity, with stretch goals for extra companions/companion quests/romances.

Johannes

Arcane
"And yes, when we make our next new engine, we may well give Kickstarter a shot."

That's not "going Kickstarter soon-ish" by any measure. Even if he will decide to go KS eventually, it won't be soon - I think he's still making Avadon 3 and Avernum 3 remake in the current engine.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think a Vogel KS would go very well. He has literally said he just sits in his basement writing games and his biggest cost is sending his kids to college. Not to mention anyone who isn't a huge Vogel fanboy seems have problems with the direction of his work. He has publicly dissed potential customers, and mostly just interacts with his own forum echo chamber.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd play the shit out of a geneforge game with great visuals and creatures that had a bit more diversity in individual combat mechanics though.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I mean... what would his ks be?
"Give me a chance to remake one of the games that I'm already remaking, but with different art!"

I think he made some legit games, but the guy needs to team up with someone else/a team for some fresh perspective.
Also yeah, you can't keep using the same art and spells in every single game. I don't care that it's low budget, that shit matters.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I don't think a Vogel KS would go very well. He has literally said he just sits in his basement writing games and his biggest cost is sending his kids to college. Not to mention anyone who isn't a huge Vogel fanboy seems have problems with the direction of his work. He has publicly dissed potential customers, and mostly just interacts with his own forum echo chamber.

Interesting. Deatails, links?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting. Deatails, links?
Someone tweeted him about how the codex hates him (referencing a fairly positive thread), and he responded that he doesn't read forums filled with spiteful pirates or something like that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
His recent games are beyond terrible. Anyone expecting a repeat of Geneforge is delusional.

rezaf

Cipher
He literally could have shot big with a target closer to a million than not, to make his dream game which he always whines he cannot due to funding, and he would have made it + stretch goals.

I think you're vastly overestimating his fanbase. He has one, and it's solid, but $1.000.000 worth of solid? Maybe I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Also what Johannes said.

TomatoJuice

Educated
A BIG thank you to Jeff Vogel for making CRPGs when almost nobody produced them.

But if he really wants to make good KS money he has to pitch something more than his usual work.

The dry years are over. Today I can ignore garbage like DA:I and still have a New RPG backlog.

Beowulf

Arcane
Spiteful pirates?

I pay for my games.

It's the thought that counts, not the deed. You surely must have thought at some points about the process of pirating games (even along the lines - "Gee, those pirates sure suck, better not be one of them")

Or maybe he is such a visionary, that he just knows what we all are up to, even before we realise that?

Last edited:
Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I pirated back when I was in school, sure.

I remember logging on BBS's and downloading games. Going to school and having a friend pass me a floppy with Leisure Suit Larry on it. Going to my parents' friends' house and them giving me a copy of a game they bought.

But after I started using Steam, I pretty much stopped pirating. So, it's been years and years since I've pirated a game.

I think for a dev to dismiss this place as a den of spiteful pirates is a bad idea.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I pirated back when I was in school, sure.

I remember logging on BBS's and downloading games. Going to school and having a friend pass me a floppy with Leisure Suit Larry on it. Going to my parents' friends' house and them giving me a copy of a game they bought.

But after I started using Steam, I pretty much stopped pirating. So, it's been years and years since I've pirated a game.

I think for a dev to dismiss this place as a den of spiteful pirates is a bad idea.
See? You are a dirty fucking pirate. Once you pirate something, the money that was lost will never reach the developer! You are the reason why he fails in life.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Not true, because later on I bought three different Leisure Suit Larry collector's editions.

I'm a clean pirate.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
OdeEe1f.gif

No such thing, pirate scum!

zwanzig_zwoelf

I stopped pirating games once my backlog bloated to 256+ games.
Now I simply don't have time to take a look at new/other games.

Beowulf

Arcane
Meh, I still buy games I don't play, but really like the idea of playing, like FNV for example. Usually at -75% Gabe birthdays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom