Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Just remembered Daggerfall - despite playing it for like 6 months, I doubt I made it past King of Worms. Jumping over city walls and pickpocketing bats during combat was fun enough. Obviously also jerking off to the paper doll.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This thread got me to register...

Finished:
Wizardry 1, 2, 3, 5 (NES/ SNES)
Pool of Radiance (NES)
Dragon Wars (very proud of this! game is very average)
Sid Meier's Pirates (NES and PC remake)
DQ I, III (NES) (but really terrible games)
FF I, III, VIII (hated the system though)
Master of Monsters (Genesis)
The Immortal (Genesis) (well, it's short)
Phantasy Star III, IV (Genesis) (IV is well done)
Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force (Genesis)
Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Genesis) (short, and it's better than Dragon Warrior 1)
Alpha Centauri, SMAX (many times)
Uncharted Waters 2 (not as good as Pirates!)
Master of Orion 2 (a few times)
Star Control 2 (PC remake) (loved it)
Castles 2
Baldur's Gate II, ToB
NWN 1- SoU, HoU, Prophet, ADwR, Crimson Tides of Tethyr
Fallout 1, Fallout 2
HoMM 3
Diablo 1, 2
ToEE, VtM: Bloodlines
Shadowrun (SNES), Shadowrun (Genesis), Shadowrun Returns DMS
GTA 2
JGirl Fight 2, 3, 4
Rance III, Sengoku Rance
King's Quest VII, Gabriel Knight 1, Leisure Suit Larry 3, 5, 6
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Unfinished:
Ultima IV, VI, VII, World of Ultima 1, 2 (tried many times, just too slow for me, DOA)
Champions of Krynn (copyright protection:(, DOA)
Battletech: Crimson Hawk's Inception/ Revenge (too hard, especially with emulation problems, DOA)
Wasteland (didn't like the character creation system, DOA)
Fantasy General (liked the game but got bored, wasn't motivated to finish for a crappy 80's ending screen, stopped at 6th campaign)
Knights of Legend (had an interesting magic system but combat was clunky)
Darklands (too repetitive, raubritter after raubritter, and I lost my notes, stopped at about 10 hours)
Magic: Shandalar (got too easy, same problem as Fantasy General and Darklands)
Spirit of Excalibur, Vengeance of Exaclibur (couldn't figure out the interface, DOA)
Wizardry VII (tried many times, just too hard, save scrumming just got too tedious, about 40% before I stopped), VIII (first dungeon was too big, DOA)
Might and Magic IV (combat was too slow compared to Wizardry, DOA)
FF II, IV, V, VI (mostly DOA, just didn't want to invest the time)
DQ II, IV (II DOA, IV stopped at chapter 4)
Shining Force II (Genesis) (missed too many secrets, got bored and mad, stopped at about 60%)
Jagged Alliance 2 (felt like I sucked at playing it, stopped after Omerta)
Icewind Dale II (combat got too tedious, just the same thing over and over, no story, stopped at chapter 5)
Arcanum (more fun to make characters than to actually play, stopped around Caladon, tried again many times but never wanted to do BMC again)
NWN 1- OC (chapter 1 too tedious), Aielund (restarted character after chapter 2, liked it but never finished)
SW: KOTOR (had trouble running on my laptop, didn't find enough choices in character creation)
GTA Vice City, San Andreas (just too long and too hard, stopped at about 35% each)
Rance IV (too lulz, DOA)
Laura Bow 2 Dagger of Amon Ra (great game but I was missing too much of the clues, game forces you to replay many times)
Monkey Island 1, 2 (bad puzzles, weak story)
Myst (too many dead ends stopped after about 10 hours)

So for me, the games I finish have the following:
Great open ended party creation system (Wizardry, ToEE)
Let me grow an army (Star Control 2, HoMM 3, Sengoku Rance)
Addictive characters, story or setting (BG2, NWN, FF VIII, GK, IJ: FoA)
Short (The Immortal, DMS, Fallout, Fallout 2, ToEE, JGirl Fight)
Super Sandboxy (Pirates!, Pools of Radiance, Alpha Centauri, GTA II)
Well realized (Diablo 1)

Some games are fun to play, but there's no motivation to finish the ending especially if there's no ending or it's just text. And some games are just too long.

Deleted member 7219

Icewind Dale I and II. Didn't see the point of the game. If you make an RPG with a great setting and incredible art design, why fill it to the top with monsters? Such a waste.
Because it's a hack and slash? So you cant have an action RPG with a great setting and art design?

I would have loved to see some other systems given prominence besides the combat. That world is crying out for detailed quests.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Master of Monsters (Genesis)
The Immortal (Genesis) (well, it's short)
Phantasy Star III, IV (Genesis) (IV is well done)
Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force (Genesis)
Some games are fun to play, but there's no motivation to finish the ending especially if there's no ending or it's just text. And some games are just too long.

I see you didn't play the relatively short M&M II on the Genesis.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Risen 3. After having anticipated it with eagerness, the game turned out to be such a retarded letdown that I have quit it after some 2 hours of playing it. All it did was, it made me feel really nostalgic about Gothic 2, so I'll play that instead.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Personally I only remember quitting games like the Shin Megami series (all of the ones on the DS, like the Devil Survivor ones that are quite good and the abomination FPS-style one that is called Strange Journey) and Disgaea games.

You do know most of the early Shin Megami Tensei games are in first person, right?

Anyway, I remember I could never finish Oblivion or Skyrim. For Oblivion the biggest detriment was the fucked leveling system/scaling and for Skyrim it was just too fucking. Seriously, almost everything feels the same in that game. Morrowind as well, I just never felt compelled enough to go past talking to Caius Cosades. I usually play for a good 2-3 hours, find him, go out a bit, take a break and never want to go back into the game again. It's odd, most of the game I'm fine with right down to the dice-roll combat.

I pulled that stunt at least three times.

I do yes, it's not the FPS part that was the problem specifically, I just called it that because it would make for easier identification. But it looked like shit on the DS, the first dungeon is harder than any other Tensei's first dungeon, the story is terrible and the fusion system rules were changed for the worse.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Geneforge 5, I stopped playing when I realized that I would have experience deducted for each Creation I used. Why the fuck would you punish the player for using the game's core mechanic?

Skunkpew

Augur
I could never finish Dark Sun Wake of the Ravager. Man I loved that game, but there were so many damn bugs. I probably attempted it 7 or 8 times and had to quit at various points along the way every single time.

Wasteland 2
Geneforge 5, I stopped playing when I realized that I would have experience deducted for each Creation I used. Why the fuck would you punish the player for using the game's core mechanic?

It also has experience rewards heavily scalled to level, so in the end using a lot of creations will make you lag something like only 3-4 lvs behind a solo character, hardly a big deal.

On the other hand experience scalling is something I despise, but like half of the rpgs use that shit, so I learned to get over it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I could never finish Dark Sun Wake of the Ravager. Man I loved that game, but there were so many damn bugs. I probably attempted it 7 or 8 times and had to quit at various points along the way every single time.
Tru dat. Also the web/entangle spell was totally killing my A.D. 2000 PC.

Renfri

Cipher
From newer ones: D:OS, mainly cos of awfully written dialogue (lasted 40h). Soundtrack was super awesome, but that isn't enough to make you want to finish the game.

k0syak

Cipher

Are there any other CRPGs where you fight a tarrasque?

Cadmus

Arcane
Now I remember I've tried Deus Sex twice and failed to complete the first mission. I basically burned out on the training cuz it was so tedious. I gotta replay it one day together with JA2.

Skunkpew

Augur

I don't think so. It is mentioned in a few other games, like Baldurs Gate.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You gotta equip the ring to see it though.

ringofinfravision.gif

Gozma

Arcane

Your monsters level up too, and monsters that have leveled up off experience rather than simply being summoned later are stronger. So theoretically you're diverting RPG powah uppah from yourself to your monsters.

In GF1 newly summoned monsters are much stronger than manually levelled ones at the same level, so you go through the ones you have like popcorn and throw them away like an aspirant slavemage ought to instead of them being a traditional RPG party yadda blah bleh. Another reason GF1 is the best Geneforge.

Edit - Also I don't see how I could beat the Long War mod for XCOM before the heat death of the universe

Last edited:

k0syak

Cipher

I don't think so. It is mentioned in a few other games, like Baldurs Gate.

That's my point. It's like the final boss of CRPGs, gotta kill that fucker :)

MrMarbles

Cipher
You can also use Boots of Blinding Speed offset by Resist Magicka.

I remember playing Morrowind as a kid, and only being able to scrounge enough potions for a 70% or so magicka resist. I proceeded to equip the boots, saw the screen darken, and dutifully played out the entire game as if light settings were set to Epileptic. 11 13 year-old me was a retard.

DraQ

Arcane
So what are the games you could not complete...
:troll:
Obliv-
...despite giving them a good try?
Fuck.
:rpgcodex:
Spoilsport.

Anyway:
BG1 - game actually starts some 5/6 or 6/7 through. The one time I actually managed to push myself this far my progress got nuked by drive failure.
Arcanum - bland locations, terribad combat. As much as I appreciate mechanical interactivity and steampunk elements, it was hard to keep my interest up. And then a quest broke on me.
Daggerfall - repetitive content is still repetitive even if you can get lost at 666.31415th level of some dungeon with a deadly disease and broken pants.

Those are the games I still intend to play through at some point (BG1 because my inner OCDtard prevents me from actually playing through BG2 without it).

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Getting cranked at the last stretch of Baldur's Gate is pretty lame, it's arguably the best part.

DraQ

Arcane
Getting cranked at the last stretch of Baldur's Gate is pretty lame, it's arguably the best part.
Yeah. The main problem with BG1 is that it takes significantly more than half of its critical path to actually get going.
I'm not sure I've ever seen worse pacing, Skyrim's faction quests included.

You can also use Boots of Blinding Speed offset by Resist Magicka.

I remember playing Morrowind as a kid, and only being able to scrounge enough potions for a 70% or so magicka resist. I proceeded to equip the boots, saw the screen darken, and dutifully played out the entire game as if light settings were set to Epileptic. 11 13 year-old me was a retard.
Levitation 1 1s on self, jump 100 2s on self, fortify spe + feather as_much_as_feasible 2s on self (preferably as enchantment unless you've got awesome timing).
There.
:smug:
BoBS are for soft-skinned baldfags.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom