Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Most abandoned games were made that way due lost impact, sometimes with ridiculous difficulty - then I need time to calm down, but there is risk these days that other games from my game library/backlog will catch my attention.

Wizardry 8...I admit that I abandoned 1st playthrough cause Arnika Road' Bapthism in Fire yet encounters didn't pull me off. Only the toughest one but it was still managable.

From other titles:
Anachronox - reached some big location where is not much to do and just forgot.
Pył (Dust) - imagine Thief but you get assault rifle instead of a bow and x10 higher difficulty than Expert level. Plus absolutely awful performance due shitty engine (mutation of DOS and Windows game) and outstandingly awful DOS emulation. Hours spend on configuration, all for 15FPS. Nah.

Might&Magic: World of Xeen - with every try my game went better but still not managed to finish. I propably collect some info and try again some day.
VtM: Bloodlines - some shitty sneaky section plus not sure if my character was decent at all (just suck in everything even sucking blood).
Thief 2X: Shadow of Metal Age - wasn't that much into sneaking genre despite finishing Thief 1 and 2 month or two back.
And Larian games, all of them. Give fun for few hours then you just lost impact to play. No idea why, games are great but it happen everytime.
Or Morrowind or Daggerfall. Game is cool but there is always moment when I just focus on other game(s) and never (i.e. more han month or two) come back.
It's propably best to play it when you have absolutely nothing else to do or play, at least for me...

Not to mention numerous mods for STALKERs but that was preludium to absolutely burning out of these games.

EDiT
And just like most codexers here I abandoned NWN2 due to boredome, but not camera control. Not sure why it rarely make me rage in games.
System Shock - just stopped playing after reaching 2nd or 3rd floor. Nothing particulary important stopped me and I lost attention span. Whatever.
I finished ToEE (end game was really intense, not only due fire boss/Fugus Lady but also bugs) yet need come back to finish additional content from Circle of Eight.
Sacred - cool for some time, then stop. Hope my latest restored interest in h'n's would help with it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
VtM: Bloodlines - some shitty sneaky section plus not sure if my character was decent at all (just suck in everything even sucking blood).

Which sneaking section, the one in the tutorial? Brawl (unarmed) or dementation allows you to feed easily.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Saga Frontier II, in the most frustrating manner possible. Whatever I did, I couldn't even beat the final boss' first form. Tried different strategies, different builds, nothing goes. Heaven forbid, I even tried grinding.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Which sneaking section, the one in the tutorial? Brawl (unarmed) or dementation allows you to feed easily.
No, it was later, propably hospital. I think I could come back and do this thing better (or it's just easy but I didn't git gud).

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
MotherMachinae
Probably because universe is so bland it hurts. Larian was going in a good direction with Dragon Commander and goblin-tech shenanigans and undead politics but then went back to their usual funny but bland universe with D:OS.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I actually liked them for writing, especially conversation that come far more than average, schematic, and it's better than WL2 for example.
NPC in Larian games have some info but are not walking information poster that explain game worlds with teacher's manner.

Writing is good, setting is shit. Story is also meh most of the time, but has nice moments. I mean the ending of Flames of Vengance was one of the best endgames in RPGs ever. Antagonists plans going to shit because of elusive wizards bribing the MC and then going full 9/11 on that bitch.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Arcane spellcasters were usually op in IE from almost the very start and allowed you to easily cheese through most combat situations. Pure melee classes were not. And then ToB happened.
Epic skills in ToB were wtf-level op - traps and elemental princes were usually enough to kill anyone. Also UMD and soloing the game with immune to magic, impossible to hit swashbuckler that wields Carsomyr +5...

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
uFpvQge.jpg

Ho ho ho. I raise you:
PS0282.jpg

What is it with carnivorous plants?

PS0283.jpg
(from here)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ho ho ho. I raise you:
PS0282.jpg

:dead:

Yup, that's another game I haven't finished, gave up exactly at this point

Hohoho, Amazonii Manrap, that's something! I loaded all what I have to these filth, should be called Amazing [Mobile] Deathtrap. Just merge together these Wiz8 plants into one and add some fire (to their attacks). There was (spoiler) optional Ogre cave where your team turn into ogres and - at the end - will be trapped and surronded by these beautiful plants. Horror...
I managed to finish game, technical abomination but really fun.

Nyast

Cipher
Might & Magic X: got tired of the crappy ambush design. Combat isn't too bad, but getting ambushed in a room with little space when a second ago there was nobody, sorry, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I though we were supposed to quote only PC RPGS, but seems we can mention all sorts of games; hell, half my NES collection was never finished like that dreadful TMNT game, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando etc (alhtough I did finish all the Castlevanias and Rush n Attack which was p brutal)
Seems to me there is a direct connection between lack of playing time, mounting RL responsibilities and cheap games which caused my inability to commit and finish games in the early 2000s. By that time getting PC games for me was hard so I really had few options for playing so I really played what I had (Might and Magic, Darklands, Quest for Glory, Wiz 7) till the end, but when I got my PSX and could buy games of the cheap ($5 for a pirated copy) I kind of went overboard and would buy cartloads of games only to play the tutorial of most and then drop them.
This lead me to really discipline myself to only start a single kind of game at a time until I finished it (so I could play NCAA, Baldur's Gate & NBA 2K at the same time) and that made me really commited to actualy picking good games and finishing them before moving unto another
Kind of telling how many never made it past Planescape or BG, the TES games are understandable because of their sandbox system, and I would be shocked if more than 20% of its players actualy finished the MQ....
Nowadays I put several games on hold to play Wasteland 2 but between RL and waiting for the patches for the "super movement" bug I havnt had time to play much

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
In the old days - chocolate was very rare. It was a treat and you would saviour it as long as possible.

Now,you go into a shop, and you have 50 aisles of one thousand different chocolates available. Note this.

Games were quite rare as well - normally you would make a lot of progress before purchasing a new one.

When I bought BT1 I knew I was going to spend a lot of time on it - I was young - a student - did not have lots of income. A lot of stuff in the shops was crap or did not interest me in any way.

On STEAM alone - I now have about 350 games - not counting stuff bought on GOG, EA platform etc. Not counting games I actually bought in a shop.

STEAM is like the supermarket for games where you have hundreds and hundreds of pretty decent RPG games.

These 350 games DO NOT INCLUDE all the recent good RPG games released - Wasteland 2 or Grimrock 2. How in hell is anybody have time to finish any game?

It's not easy - I am trying to complete Fallout NV for the first time and even if you take the whole weekend you won't make that much progress. Sure if you want to just do the main story - yes. I don't. I want to go everywhere and talk to everyone and do everything. The best games - I don't want them to end.

A lot of the time I try not to complete a game. Somewhere between halfway and all the way I start the game again. Roll a different character. Try a different approach. Bloody amazing I complete any game at all.

Damn F NV, you have melee build, laser build, gun build, sneak build. Possible no fighting build. Intelligence of 1 build. Perfect build. Oh my Lord..

I need some discipline. In my attempts to complete any game I always have my golden favourites on hand for a bit of mindless fun. Try a different build in Titans Quest. Dabble a bit on Football Manager.

Then we have STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Arcanum: Those f*cking wolves... got sick of being knocked down by loss of stamina.

You should check out MCAs LP, you'd love it.

I'm usually a completionist but
ToEE: The module felt lacklustre, after meeting Prince Whats-his-face with Fragararach and fighting 2 million bugbears I quit.
HoMMIV: HoMM3 was awesome. The disappointment was just too much and the campaigns sucked.

Coyote

Arcane
As far as RPGs go, I've got a pretty good track record for reaching the end. The only exceptions I can think of:

- Alpha Protocol - made it through 90 percent of this a few years back but got involved in something else, after which I never got around to finishing it.
- Lionheart - finished Barcelona. Need I say more?
- Prelude to Darkness - I really wanted to try this after it came highly recommended by some people here, but bugs and crashes kept me from getting very far.
- Prince of Qin - just lost interest between the banal gameplay and bad translation.
- Skyrim - derped around aimlessly a bit, but as far as the main quest goes I think I only ever made it as far as the mountain with the guys who are supposed to teach you more about shouting.
- Sword of the Stars: The Pit - this one's not for lack of trying; I just haven't ever managed to win (playing mostly engineers on hard). I had a pretty good run that reached about the 24th floor a month or so ago, but I put it on hold to play D:OS and haven't gotten back to it yet.
- Wizardry 8 - others have gone into this.

NWN2 OC also deserves an honorable mention for quickest abandonment upon any attempt to replay it:

"The village is under attack! West Harbor is under attack!" -> Why the fuck am I doing this? -> uninstall.exe

This has happened at least three times now. :negative:

Avellion

Erudite
Wizardry 8: I liked the game overall, though I do prefer earlier Wizardries. But... ehh screw it, everyone else already said why.
Oblivion: I got it to see how bad it was. Due to some wierd bug, it looked worse than something concieved out of Prosper's asshole. Not to mention, the combat was atrocious, It was so bad, I didnt want to see any more.
Nethack: Keep coming back, but then I keep telling myself, I should play ADOM.
Baldur's Gate: It just starts getting so bland after a while.
Super Mario Bros 2: The other "Mario RPGs" were better.

Coincidentally this guy came to the forum after the IWD:EE video by some games journalism site was linked, could be from there - or the guy himself :smug:

Are you talking about me in the above sentence?

I have been on RPGcodex since maybe 2003, maybe even earlier-- my current forum name is a replacement for another which i lost the password for. I just never posted much, not even with my old forum name. But i am not sure if you are referring to me, nor why you would even think I came to the website only when icewind dale EE was announced. I think I originally found RPGcodex when trying to find information about sequels to falllout 1 and 2....

I admit that I do like icewind dale a bunch, and probably commented on it before, but it has nothing to do with my presence on RPGcodex. But maybe I am completely misunderstanding who or what you are talking about. I admit I am confused.

DemonKing

Arcane
The closest I go to the end of a game and not finishing it would be Pools of Darkness. I finally fought through a huge wave of beholders and dracoliches on about the 10th try only to find myself confronted by yet another similar wave was just too much for me.

I still haven't finished ME3 and Skyrim despite attempting to play them on and off for the last few years.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
NWN2 OC. I bought it years ago at release, and uninstalled after about an hour of suffering through facefuls of cringeworthy, painfully generic fantasy schmaltz and a truly horrible game engine. Only this week did I re-buy it from GOG in order to play through MotB, which I am actually enjoying quite a bit, despite having to fight the UI, camera, terrible engine, cramped viewing area, and RTwP combat every step of the way. Strangely, now that I've gotten used to how awful interacting with the game is, it's not much of an annoyance and I can enjoy the content.

I am however incredibly aggravated by the fact that even with nearly min-maxed Search skill and moving at a snail's pace, my Rogue doesn't locate traps until they're one step away, unless I also stop dead intermittently. I'm not going to go through the game's dungeons in a crawl... stop... crawl... stop... crawl... stop... crawl... fashion, because that's fucking moronic, so I guess I'll be running into traps the whole way. When I do spot a trap in time, often a melee party member sees an enemy up ahead and sprints through/into the trap like a retard as I'm trying to disable it. Quality Obsidian programming at work.

I also uninstalled Divinity 2 after a few hours. The combat was torturously popamole and boring as fuck, and the "humorous" dialog wasn't clever or interesting.

laclongquan

Arcane
In the old days - chocolate was very rare. It was a treat and you would saviour it as long as possible.

Now,you go into a shop, and you have 50 aisles of one thousand different chocolates available. Note this.

Games were quite rare as well - normally you would make a lot of progress before purchasing a new one.

When I bought BT1 I knew I was going to spend a lot of time on it - I was young - a student - did not have lots of income. A lot of stuff in the shops was crap or did not interest me in any way.

On STEAM alone - I now have about 350 games - not counting stuff bought on GOG, EA platform etc. Not counting games I actually bought in a shop.

STEAM is like the supermarket for games where you have hundreds and hundreds of pretty decent RPG games.

These 350 games DO NOT INCLUDE all the recent good RPG games released - Wasteland 2 or Grimrock 2. How in hell is anybody have time to finish any game?

It's not easy - I am trying to complete Fallout NV for the first time and even if you take the whole weekend you won't make that much progress. Sure if you want to just do the main story - yes. I don't. I want to go everywhere and talk to everyone and do everything. The best games - I don't want them to end.

A lot of the time I try not to complete a game. Somewhere between halfway and all the way I start the game again. Roll a different character. Try a different approach. Bloody amazing I complete any game at all.

Damn F NV, you have melee build, laser build, gun build, sneak build. Possible no fighting build. Intelligence of 1 build. Perfect build. Oh my Lord..

I need some discipline. In my attempts to complete any game I always have my golden favourites on hand for a bit of mindless fun. Try a different build in Titans Quest. Dabble a bit on Football Manager.

Then we have STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS.

That would work if not for the fact that I have BG1 around the time of PST, after F1/2. Finish PST but can not get BG1 done at all.

The thing about never finishing JA2 is no longer accurate.
Good. Now, you wait a year or two and :

QZXCAsp.jpg

Dunno, by the end I was pretty pissed off by resolution, weird interrupt system, lack of enemy variety etc. If I'll ever replay JA2 it's gonna be with that 1.13 mod everyone is talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom