Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
It was definitely something with the dukes - maybe the one who was supposed to teleport me didn't survive and it wasn't really a bug but a feature that you become stuck.
Never had that. Did you have an earlier save?
No, it was BG1. Here is the part:
It was definitely something with the dukes - maybe the one who was supposed to teleport me didn't survive and it wasn't really a bug but a feature that you become stuck.
Unfortunately, BG1 doesn't appear to have a teleport or cheat command to move onto the next area. Regardless of what folks say, BG1 was a choice game when it came out, and still is pretty great. Worth finishing, if only to take the chars to BG2. If you need a save around there, let me know. Think i still have my saves, and I am pretty religious about them.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Huh. Never had that. Did you an earlier save?

No, though I don't remember how I managed to do that. Probably because of the long fight where I saved in-between fighting the doppelgangers.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm gonna add Fallout 2 to my list. Loved and did more than once FO1, and I really like FNV. I thought FO2 would be a better version of FO1. Ended up not being the case. The difficulty curve is awkward, the writing is poorer (without being complete shit) and it didn't had the same feeling as the first one. I did 2 try of it with different playstyle, and I ended up rage quitting at 10-11h of gameplay. On paper its a nice game, but I just can't like it.

Naraya

Arcane
Not an RPG but sadly I'm kind of stuck in Thief Gold, on The Lost City mission. I don't like the zombie/unnatural theme at all :(

I hope will force myself to finish it eventually, as the story and the game mechanics in general are very interesting.

Prime Junta

I'm a serial non-completer of games. I never finished some of my all-time favorites. I usually lose interest when the endgame starts. Sometimes I eventually half-force myself to slog through them, but by no means always. Partly it's me (I don't want it to end), partly it's that endgame content is usually pretty bad IMO. Same for replays, if I get back to something I like, I rarely bother going through the endgame.

Mustawd

I'm gonna add Fallout 2 to my list. Loved and did more than once FO1, and I really like FNV. I thought FO2 would be a better version of FO1. Ended up not being the case. The difficulty curve is awkward, the writing is poorer (without being complete shit) and it didn't had the same feeling as the first one. I did 2 try of it with different playstyle, and I ended up rage quitting at 10-11h of gameplay. On paper its a nice game, but I just can't like it.

Agreed. Fallout 2 was like the retarded cousin of Fallout 1.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm a serial non-completer of games. I never finished some of my all-time favorites. I usually lose interest when the endgame starts. Sometimes I eventually half-force myself to slog through them, but by no means always. Partly it's me (I don't want it to end), partly it's that endgame content is usually pretty bad IMO. Same for replays, if I get back to something I like, I rarely bother going through the endgame.
Me too. Endgames often seem pointless, you always know the conclusion in advance so it feels like going through the motions, usually involving killing 100x of whatever you previously killed.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of the things I appreciated about Mask of the Betrayer, particularly as a story-driven experience, was that the ending consisted less of combat and more of role playing.

RuySan

Augur
I never finished Baldur's Gate 2. I think all three times i played i got to some Elven city (not the drow city) and got bored.

Same with Wizardry 8 and the Rapax Area. I should know where i kept those saves because i would love to play it again, but i'm not eager to repeat the treehouse part all over again.

Arcanum. First time i got bored in the mines. Next times i played i didn't even got there.

Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Because of reasons.

There's many other RPG's i've never finished, but these are the good ones i can think of.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Same with Wizardry 8 and the Rapax Area. I should know where i kept those saves because i would love to play it again, but i'm not eager to repeat the treehouse part all over again.

That treehouse area is what killed my interest too.

Prime Junta

Hm, since the OP asked for a list, here are some that I've played a lot and liked (really a lot/quite a bit/at least a little) that I haven't finished:

* Arcanum
* TOEE
* FO:NV
* IWD2
* Gothic 3 (with the community patches)
* BG1
* DA:O <- in the "at least a little" category

Some that I have finished once or perhaps twice, and keep coming back to, but rarely/never bother playing to the end:

* BG2/ToB
* FO2
* VtM:B (mostly because all the good stuff is in the beginning/middle and the endgame is shit)
* PS:T (I usually stop after I'm done with Sigil, Curst + Fortress of Regrets is such a drag)

There are tons I didn't like and didn't finish for that reason, of course, but that's a different story. The ones I usually do finish generally feature a mercifully short and painless endgame (MotB, FO1, IWD, P:E etc).

kris

Arcane
To my memory I would have an easier time listing the RPGs that I finished than the ones I didn't. i think i finished less than 30% of the ones i played.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Same here i almost never find the story interesting enough to finish the game or i'm just too bored with it(there are few exceptions of course).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
One of the things I appreciated about Mask of the Betrayer, particularly as a story-driven experience, was that the ending consisted less of combat and more of role playing.

Oh, yes, that's another one I enjoyed but never completed. At least I can blame the horrible NWN2 engine.
Incidentally, I completed Fallout 3, but not 1 or New Vegas! I like this thread - it feels like group therapy. :hug:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did not complete and probably won't go back:
V:TM - Redemption
Lionheart
Morrowind (explored a fair share of it but far from 100%)
Oblivion/FO3
NWN2 OC (was bored to tears and finally snapped right before the final boss lair)
NWN:SoU/NWN:HotU
Gothic 3 (a good game but not my cup of tea)
DA:I (fuck you BioWare!)

Did not complete but might try again someday:
FO1/FO2
Arcanum (dat combat! /sigh)
ToEE (really can't remember why I quit it - no bad memories)
V:TM - Bloodlines (was too much of a graphics whore back then, lol)
Skyrim (too much tinkering with mods - chances of going back are slim)
DX:HR

Completed:
BG/BG2/PS:T/IWD (+IWD:EE)/IWD2
NWN OC (no matter what people say it did have its moments)
TW1/TW2
DA:O
DA2
Mass Effect/ME2
WL2
PoE
SRR/Dragonfall

Still working my way through:
Drakensang (early game is good but later on there's too many boring dungeons)
D:OS

To do pile:
FO:NV
MotB
SR:HK
ME3
TW3

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
wat

The endgame is a series of about half a dozen combat setpieces (including a boss battle with different stages). Well-contextualized and narratively relevant combat setpieces, but combat setpieces nonetheless.

Usually I complete whatever I really set out to play (not counting games I try for an hour or two just for a laugh). Lately though, Wasteland 2 and PoE have defeated me. I'll probably return to Wasteland 2 someday, it wasn't really bad, it was just sort of disappointing. But PoE... it is just absolutely soul-crushingly boring.

Anvil of Dawn, and Dungeon Lords, because the game bugged out. I still have a metal case collector's edition.

Three times I have started Baldur's Gate 2. I can never make it past the railroaded intro.

I recommend finishing SS2, if only for the final levels, and SHODAN's big reveal (favorite moment in a video game, ever!)

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Could not bring myself to finish:

Lionheart (even though I have tried several times, this game always ends up boring me to tears)
VtM: Redemption
NWN1 (last Bioware game I bought...)

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Skyrim - 222 hours on record. Just could not be assed to do the main quest line.:/ I romped around and listened to audiobooks 'n shit.
Pillars Of Eternity - 255 hours on record. Restarted the game several times, obviously played a fuckton of it, but I always lost interest after finishing with Defiance Bay at the latest.
Neverwinters Nights 2 + Expansions - ALMOST beat NWN 2 several times, always lost interest. I should just jump straight into MOTB one day, but it's hard. For some reason, I always have to start at the beginning, with the original campaign.
Baldur's Gate 2 - For some reason I also absolutely HATE coming back to games and continuing from old saves. Restarted BG 2 several times, always lost interest right before the end.:/
Arcanum - Never got very far, no idea why really.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
Dragon Age - mindbogglingly boring
Fallout 3 - bored after Megaton
Arcanum - I'm sorry but the combat...I just can't.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've got too much completionist OCD and am too much of a storyfag not to finish games, so it has to be downright horrible for me not to finish.

Didn't finish:
- Oblivion
- Skyrim
- SR: DF & HK
- M&M X; just couldn't get into it anymore
- IWD series which I missed when they were new and I just find kinda boring now.

Really regret finishing but couldn't stop myself:
- Pillars of Eternity
- Fallout 3 (won't even touch 4)
- Dragon Age (2 and 3)
- Mass Effect (2 and 3, first felt somewhat original and good for what it is)

Currently in progress of:
- D:OS EE (finished the first regular edition already and curious about story changes) and kind of struggling to finish it, playing the tactician difficulty or whatever it's called and combat is starting to feel a bit tedious; which is too bad because it's what I loved about the game originally...
- Can't really get into Lords of Xulima no matter how hard I try, will try again later.
- AoD keeps killing me! ;)
- Got pretty far in UnderRail, now waiting for it to be finished to start again. Really hoping familiarity to quests/story doesn't kill it for me but replayability seems high enough.

Completed: Pretty much most of the RPG's listed by others here I guess, save for Wasteland, Wizardry (never came across it as a child?) and JRPG's (including Dark Souls into this) which I simply can't get into.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Fallout: New Vegas

Spent about 300-400 hours on Fallout 3, finished every single quest with all possible solutions, all the DLC. So it was pretty hard to keep slogging through more of the same. Dropped the game somewhere after getting that Punisher (THEY TOOK MY WIFE) rip-off dude.

Will probably give it another shot, sometime in 2025.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom