Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Deathlord. Old Ultima clone from EA....except with an Oriental/Eastern setting. Just too dang difficult and frustrating.

C64 only, right? And all classes and items have Japanese names, I think, which is a turn off for me.
Otherwise I would have given it a go.

Beastro

Arcane
It's just annoying the whole "leather with monocles, extra belt buckles strapped on, crystals and steam coming out of the top".
It's asethetically too cluttered and always looks like there is extra detail bolted on for no reason.
Alternate history stuff usually annoys me too, so maybe it's that as well.

How'd you get that from Arcanum, where steam technology is pretty much what you saw in the Victorian era and also wasn't an Alt History game.

A nice redeeming factor of Arcanum was that it focused more on the setting of the Victorian age in a fantasy setting than dwelling on the aesthetics of Steampunk and being style over substance. If anything the technology side was somewhat underwhelming in a sense, and deliberately so. Fantasy up against your standard, bland Victorians and their science with the Victorians clearly the winning side.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor : I also didn't finish this. I never really gave it a chance. It seemed slow and I tried attacking opponents I could see but it wouldn't let my unlike a decent game such as Dark Sun.

Xenosaga: This JRPG has really long cutscenes that are terrible but you might miss out on what you need to do so you feel like you need to watch them. I had one that was around maybe 45 minutes or a half hour and a save screen came up. After that, it was another fucking cutscene and I haven't played it since. This was many years ago.

Baldur's Gate 2 and TOB: I don't give a shit about Imoen and could not be bothered with the stupid plot after getting to the rescue part.

Realms of Arkania games I got free from GOG: The character creator was extremely slow in DOSBox and sometime had long pause where it would be unresponsive.

I once did try a Wizardy VI+VII+8 run over a few months (AND I HAD THE RING), but jebus fucking christmas the constant random encounters just fucking burned me out in 8 (as well at the other 2 games) and I never finished it. I shall do this someday, you just need to take a looooooooong break between each one.

I only made it halfway through my latest playthrough of 7 after playing through 6. That was months ago and I haven gone back. I got to the bell tower in 6 without having the key and went back and tried several newly acquired keys until I had the right one. Every time you want to go over or leave you get a random encounter. You can even fail (more than half the time for me) to get across and that of course causes a random encounter.

Edit: I didn't realize this was necroed and Jaesun's post is barely a year old.

Duckard

Augur
PoE for sure. Single biggest disappointment of the last few years.

Also Wizardry 7. In my life I have spent more hours on this game than on several rpg's I completed combined. Yet I never saw its ending screen.

Oh god Wizardry 7. The dugeons and combat were good, but playing the game felt like a huge waste of time, mostly due to all the unnecessary "innovative" features it added.

I remember seeing opponents on the map, but you couldn't engage them from the distance I tried (i.e. had to walk close enough to trigger combat). Looking at screen shots, that doesn't really seem to be the case but none of the screen shots are scrolled out away from the player. I doubt I will ever play it again because it is supposed to suck. I guess they fixed the uninstall bug so maybe I could try again some day.

Edit: Even if I'm totally wrong on that, it is still better than people calling Cave Story+ and the original Metroid rpgs.

Konflyto

Novice
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In my case, Arcanum and Daggerfall. Arcanum got me bored after i got stuck in a quest and i never came back.
Daggerfall had one main quest bugged, i had to load an old save and lose a good amount of time. Stopped that evening, the evening later, procrastinating and...Never.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't give a shit about Imoen and could not be bothered with the stupid plot after getting to the rescue part."

That was not the plot. The plot was defending yoruself from psychopathic wizard who wanted and quite posisbly already did rape you.

pippin

The plot was defending yoruself from psychopathic wizard who wanted and quite posisbly already did rape you.

The plot was about an elven demigod wanting to be a true human bean.
He failed, but stood as one of the few muscular elves I've seen in medieval fantasy.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Definitely Ruins of Myth Drannor. God damn I got sick of fighting the same enemies over and over again in gigantic bland dungeons. Send that game to the deepest depths of hell.

ToEE. I had the worst luck with this game and corrupted saves at the temple. I must have restarted it 3 times. Retried it with unofficial patches twice. My last restart every save was on the same level of the temple, but loading any of the saves and trying to go to an exit resulted in a crash. Don't care how great the implementation of 3rd edition D&D is, Homlett can fuck right off. I'm not doing it again.

I'm working on wasteland 2 and PoE right now. Just restarted a wl2 game wih director's cut. Maybe I'll finish, but the game began to feel like a chore the last time through. PoE is likely, but I just left grad school to pursue a CS degree, and paying the bills and going to school full-time is killing any leisure time.:negative:

Maybe I should play BG2 again just for the romance.

Jaheira looks seductively at you and runs her hands over your chest, working her way down. "It's lonely being a widow," she exclaims. "Khalid just died," you protest. Jaheira lays with her back on Khalid's corpse and beckons you, "his is body is still warm".

Chunkyman

Augur
Didn't finish Darklands because I wasn't interested in the main story, I just liked exploring the HRE and fighting bandits/robber barons with my group.

Didn't finish Planescape Torment because I'm a combatfag and that game has fucking terrible combat mechanics, and I thought the writing wasn't nearly as compelling as everyone makes it out to be, so I dropped it hard after about 8-10 hours.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The only one that comes to mind is Ishar 2. It's one of the first RPGs I played. Couldn't complete it at the time, and for some reason never returned to it. I have vague memories about a guy on a bridge that I couldn't defeat.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I don't seem to fully finish very many games anymore. I don't think I can even pin-point why I have finished some games and not others. I think I am more curiosity based than accomplishment based now.

Nael

Arcane
In recent memory? Divinity: Original Sin and Dragon Age: Inquisition. In D:OS I got sick of the WoW-like art style. Simple as that.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was so grindy in an unfun way and storywise I already knew what the ending was going to be because Biowarederp. To play it through for the story would be a waste of time. I think I played up until I got to sacrifice my imported Ethan Hawke to the Evil Monster was like "Huh. Ok, that was cool." And then I looked at my list of grindy shit left to do and I was like "Meh. Nope." I literally had to play through MM3-5 to cleanse myself of self-loathing for playing DA2 to get all the imported shit for DA3. Then not being able to get all the way through it... :negative:

506a2629d9127e30da001017._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg

thexsa

Educated
PoE: Gave it a serious try. Wanted to like it. Couldn't. Good effort, better luck with Torment.

NWN2: That game was just plain awful. Extremely unlikable NPC's, shitty combat, nonsensical story up to the point where I played at least. Think I got to the final act or close to it. Never played MotB either because of that trauma, which everyone who I know played it, claims it's good. Someday.

BG2ToB: Played SoA like 3-4 times maybe. Everytime I get to the expansion I nope out after doing the Watchers Keep, start story and end up in the pocket plane. So fucking boring.

Wiz6: Gotten past pyramid 2 times. Never been happy with the party. Too much hassle to roleswap to what I want and grind. End up ditching save. Finished 7 and 8 though.

MM8: Can't get myself to complete it. Not sure why. I dredged through 9. 8 just felt shitty, compared to 6 and 7, but 9 at least had some sort of charm to it. Hard to describe, maybe I was high.

Darklands: Can you even complete that shit? Played it for the first time 2 years ago. Gave it several tries, but I end up in a way where I just no longer feel like playing that save.

Risen 2&3: Just no. Risen 1 was shit enough, worst ending possible. 2 I played for a while but it was just pure shit combat. Havn't actually even played 3. But it was enough to see what they did to Patty "artistically" to see what a bunch of fucking degenerates that are currently working there.

Probably some other crap I can't remember too. Tried several shitJRPG's that I never bothered finishing. "FF7 greatest game of all time" my ass. Not even PoE managed to have such shit combat, and they tried.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Didn't finish Planescape Torment because I'm a combatfag and that game has fucking terrible combat mechanics, and I thought the writing wasn't nearly as compelling as everyone makes it out to be, so I dropped it hard after about 8-10 hours.
Why yes, you are a fag. What a chump. Learn to read or go back to Counter Strike.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Risen 2&3: Just no. Risen 1 was shit enough, worst ending possible. 2 I played for a while but it was just pure shit combat. Havn't actually even played 3. But it was enough to see what they did to Patty "artistically" to see what a bunch of fucking degenerates that are currently working there.
Edgy.

Aenra

Hmm, nice thread!
Top of my head, in no particular order

DM, the second : Hard
Wizardry, first : So damn long, i honestly got bored. Or so i remember, might be self projecting, ie got pwned somewhere and gave up, lol
Ultima 4 : Some bug that prevented me from completing it, i think
IWD : Got bored
IWD 2 : Got bored. Ok, i lied. I installed it, it launched, thought "fuck that shit", exited. Still think that. RTwP
UU the first : Got a nerdrage episode of severe proportions because i wanted to play it caster-only, which was nigh impossible due to the engine; could not aim at close quarters. Completed years later
Skyrim : Fuck that shit, literally a couple of days of modding and i still couldn't. I then saw the Crispy thread. Couldn't change my mind about Skyrim, but it sure did about Crispy
Oblivion : Fuck that shit, i thought i was getting Morrowind 2.0
Arcanum : Don't even remember why. Just another nerdrage it would be many years before getting over and trying it again
WL2 : Don't even get me started. Fuck them, fuck them all
PoE : Got bored
Beyond Divinity: Was willing to forgive so much, but not all that mindless repeated grinding inbetween 'zones'. Details escape me, some special instance you were 'encouraged' to visit over and over again in between the proper levels?
Gothic 3: It was not Gothic
Risen I,II and III: It was not Gothic
Witcher 2: If i wanted an interactive movie Telltale game, i'd have gotten me one. Except i don't. Effect slightly lessened by my occasionally being allowed to click a mouse button. Effect not sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Last one couple one :
- D: OS because the story, art and ''humor'' are terrible (and the combat is always the same)
- Inquisition : The atmosphere was nice, but the gameplay felt clunky a bit and I didn't bother much with the main story. I might give it another shot at some point.
- Alpha Protocol : One of the worst game I've ever played. I really tried it (4 hours of gameplay) but it was such a pain that I stopped. Gameplay sucked, skills and progression sucked, gun sucked, dialogue sucked, storyline sucked.
- EYE : Was fun actually, but for some reason it kept bugging (NPC being perma-flagged) and it was kind of a strange game. I might come back to it.
- Mars : War Logs : I can't even say if it's really an RPG. Wow what a shitty game.
- Telepath Tactics : A+ mechanics and combat. E- for everything else. If this game could have at least an okay storyline (with C&C) and better art (i.e. less childish/manga) and music it could have been totally awesome.

Those are for the last year I guess. I'm less patient then before. Now I actually stop playing games; before I would just continue. Sometimes I still do that even if the game sucks (PoE for example).

pippin

I abandoned Alpha Protocol aftr 6 or 7 hours, you were supposed to choose between 3 countries. I thought it was some sort of "open answer" thing, where you could just go anywhere and do your thing, but I quickly learned you were supposed to do some countries in one particular order. That was bullshit for me, so I ragequitted. I might start again, though.

Epsilon

Cipher
Recently, Witcher 3. Theres only so much rolling around on the floor I can take. It seems no matter what you're fighting theres always one optimal strategy. Something else that pissed me off was the amount of broken quests in the game that I had to skip or try to forget exists to try to complete the game. The fighting really is horrible, Geralt is portrayed as a master swordsman and Witcher of legend, yet random bandits can continually parry his attacks. Thus forcing you to again roll around so you can hit them in the back. The atmosphere is great though, as is the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom