Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah. The main problem with BG1 is that it takes significantly more than half of its critical path to actually get going.
I'm not sure I've ever seen worse pacing, Skyrim's faction quests included..

Try Final Fantasy XIII

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah. The main problem with BG1 is that it takes significantly more than half of its critical path to actually get going.
I'm not sure I've ever seen worse pacing, Skyrim's faction quests included..

Try Final Fantasy XIII
In games, I mean.
trollface-peek-png.1765

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Oh another one, Radiant Historia. A jRPG on the NDS.

Interesting time travel mechanics with a world map-ish level system to move around on.

But after the first two hours of 'wow factor' I put it down and never played it again.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Faery Tale Adventure, which might actually have been the first RPG I ever played. I was completely hooked on it for months, but could never find a way to proceed. My English wasn't very good at the time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes, Faery Tale Adventure; I had forgotten that one.
Damned that game had fantastic graphics, sound and music on the Amiga! Too bad the world was too empty and the game mechanics so simple. I recall collecting a few of those Gold thingies, but I think I did something out of sequence and was not able to progress.
So this is another CRPG I never completed.

You can also use Boots of Blinding Speed offset by Resist Magicka.

I remember playing Morrowind as a kid, and only being able to scrounge enough potions for a 70% or so magicka resist. I proceeded to equip the boots, saw the screen darken, and dutifully played out the entire game as if light settings were set to Epileptic. 11 13 year-old me was a retard.

Levitation 1 1s on self, jump 100 2s on self, fortify spe + feather as_much_as_feasible 2s on self (preferably as enchantment unless you've got awesome timing).

There.

BoBS are for soft-skinned baldfags.

Alternatively, stop being a god damn cheapskate and pay a few drakes for Athletics training instead of waiting for it to raise "naturally" at a literal snail's pace

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Good thread!

I have a bunch of games on hold and there are several where I've sort of lost interest after 60+ hours, but I tell myself that I might finish them someday, so I guess they don't really count. Examples of this are Dragon Age and Skyrim - though with that sweet 2014 incline ongoing, it doesn't seem likely I'll get back into those any time soon.

The only recent RPG that I've conclusively given up on is Dark Souls. I gave it 3 or 4 solid tries but the controls are just unbelievably shitty - although that might just be due to the fact that I'm not used to playing console slashers. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another shot in a couple of years - so many people on the Codex love it so much, there must be something to it, right?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You could try dsmfix, I personally prefer controller but some players swear by this mouse mod.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's plenty of games I "couldn't" complete. Usually because I lose interest halfway through and never get around loading my save game again.
:codexisfor:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Baldur's Gate because it always bored me to tears by the time I reached that circus area.

Morrowind because after dicking around too much I lose track of what I was doing and can't be arsed to pick it up again. I'll finish it one day.

Oblivion because Todd Howard should die in a fire.

Wasteland because I'm not sure why. Will pick up again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Funny reading through the comments. How can people not finish their games? When I start the game, I need to finish. It's a physical need stronger than breathing. When I don't finish a game there must be a REASON.

- Ishars - seriously, fuck Ishars. Why could I never finish these things? Mind you I generally loved weird, infuriating French games, especially by Silmarils (Colorado anyone?)
- almost all the TES games - Skyrim was the only one I got down. Arena was too confusing for me (I was too young), Daggerfall too longwinded and Oblivion too unholy. I quite liked Morrowind but it came out in a bad time for me and I haven't come back since.
- I'm not sure Ultima VII counts. I've never played any Ultima game and after reading all the rave reviews for the VII I decided to give it a go. And after 10 minutes spent with the game I noped out of there. Sometimes you just know right away some things are not meant to be.
- Icewind Dale 2 - seriously, this is probably the only game since the start of my RPG career in 1993 that managed to bore me literally to death. Death of my playthrough that is. I even remember the precise area - it was the ice region with the endless fights with some snow monsters (yetis?). Mind you, boredom is almost never a reason for me to quit (sometimes I'll tell you about my continuous one year-long struggle to refuse to quit Game of Thrones) but IWD2 did defeat my resolve. But I've already decided I'll go back to it when they release the EE remake and finish it because I can't stand that one wart being a blot on my otherwise spotless record forever.

pippin

Trent said he's not willing to "enhance" IWD2. I haven't finished that one yet, and my impressions were similar to cvv's. I will try to give it another chance, since tinkering with character builds was fun.
And I actually like to walk through Vvandefell. Walk, not jump, bunnyhop or whatever.

baturinsky

Arcane
In or before Ice Temple is where I usually abandon IWD2 too. It's not helping that it's also where you stop getting combat xp if you play solo.

Ruhfuss

Savant
Sorry for the necro, but this is just so fitting, since I literally could not complete the game back then: Pools of Darkness, more precisely Dave's Challenge. WHAT FUCKING MYSTIC CLUE???

Guess they really wanted to sell their clue books...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for the necro, but this is just so fitting, since I literally could not complete the game back then: Pools of Darkness, more precisely Dave's Challenge. WHAT FUCKING MYSTIC CLUE???

Guess they really wanted to sell their clue books...

Dave's Challenge is optional.
If you've won the final battles you have completed the game, albeit not uh...completely.

I remember being completely baffled by the first riddle in the Challenge when I played it on the Amiga.

Beastro

Arcane
FFVIII

The game is tolerable until the end when you have to do the standard last dungeon grind, only this time to make up for the fact that the final dungeon takes all your powers away forcing you to rely on attack until you defeat bosses and unlock your other abilities.

Mustawd

Ah yes, Faery Tale Adventure; I had forgotten that one.
Damned that game had fantastic graphics, sound and music on the Amiga! Too bad the world was too empty and the game mechanics so simple. I recall collecting a few of those Gold thingies, but I think I did something out of sequence and was not able to progress.
So this is another CRPG I never completed.

Since this is already necroed...

Is Faery Tale Adventure the game that you just run around everywhere, never see anyone, and it takes forever to get anywhere? I seem to recall CRPGaddict bitching about that in his blog a few years ago. Seemed really really boring.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, it was boring, but oh so pretty.
Too large, with not enough content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom