Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with base / stronghold defense

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

DramaticPopcorn

How would that change a thing?

EG

Nullified
Project Zomboid . . . I have no idea how did he manage to play that long without save corruptions..
My ears are burning.
If you're getting frequent crashes and are playing in Steam, disable the Steam overlay. Otherwise, save corruption should only happen if the game is improperly shut down (such as by your computer losing power). If it happens for any other reason, please send the details to support@theindiestone.com along with a compressed save file. I can't promise the files will be fixed, but it might let the developers know what's going on. You can also manually backup your saves in %username%\zomboid, if you feel like cheating.

In last stand mode the player must survive against either waves of zombies or a steady flow of zombies, earning cash for killing zombies that they can spend on ammunition and weapons.

Well done, you just described a Tower Defence game.

Yes, that's why it's a separate game mode, like Sandbox. Though the game does have an unfortunate element of that, right now . . . worse, once you build a base, there are no real threats to it (the current implementation of map streaming means new zombies don't spawn in). I'd not recommend it as a base defense game until that's changed. (This does not apply to Last Stand.)

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'm currently playing Dead State and I'm wondering how many other RPGs are out there with good base / stronghold mechanics, and whether there are parts of the game where you can defend your base against opponents. Maybe the outcome of the fight depends on how much care you took to build your base to begin with, and choices you make during the battle (who defends which area, etc).

I can think of NWN2, the OC is criticised by most people here but I thought the Crossroad Keep mechanics were pretty good, and during the battle you can order your companions around (although I don't think it is possible for any of them to actually be killed...)

Is NWN2 alone in this or are there others? I will allow non-RPGs to be mentioned, if they are good enough. I hear BG2 had a stronghold, but was it ever attacked? DA:I is the most recent example of an RPG with a base, but nothing ever happens to it (I don't think that is a spoiler).

One of the things I like the idea of is recruiting NPCs and having them take on a specific role in the defense of the base. All can come out alive on the other side, some may die, depending on who you choose and how well you've trained them. Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission was good at this. It wasn't a stronghold defense, just the opposite, but it would be fantastic to have something like that in a complex RPG (looking at you Vault Dweller).
AFAIK in Summoner 2 you listen to what your servants and citizens have to say, and the difficulty of one of the plot-important battle is based on how much money/stuff you spend to improve their life and your defenses. I didn't get to that part when I played the game (had to put on hold around halfway though the game due to some retarded mission), but you usually spend money to build schools/fight diseases/fund expeditions plus judge traitors and make some arrangements with other cities from time to time. Some of the stuff is just for flavor, but it's good to feel like a true queen of a Persian-inspired land.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the game is only for PS2 and GameCube, but eh, it's more of a CRPG than 90% of 'CRPGs' released over last 4 years.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:
Has there been new entries to the RPG with stronghold subgenre?
How does PoE and DAI strongholds compare to NWN2 OC? I suppose they have even less of an influence on the game.
Are there any good NWN2 module with a strong focus on a player owned stronghold?
For what it is worth, I have fond memories of Hinterlands, and I liked Crossroad keep until I discovered it was all a lie, and rebuilding it had no effect on the outcome.
I heard much praise about Suikoden, but I found the core combat gameplay vers grindy, and not particularly interesting. Does it succeed in making your stronghold feel alive?
I guess Kenshi could be added to the list, but it is still in early access.
The recent Regalia: of men and monarchs is about getting your city up and running, but it is a vendor hub more than anything else.

Alkarl

Learned
I had an idea for a civ/rogue-like; In it, the player would control successive generations of a leader/king/queen of a nomad tribe and would require the player to delve into dungeons and clear out map areas to secure resources in order to improve their tribes tech/civ levels while also taking land from other local forces and defending their own. The game would end when the player had no more heirs (game over) or in a climactic battle with a neighboring kingdom once the player had amassed a civilization level worthy of concern.

As far as games that aren't vaporware.. idk.

laclongquan

Arcane
Suikoden 1-3 got good base stronghold mechanic. You can find companions and they will appear at their own spot in the castle doing their things whenever they are not in party: cooking, making maps, etc...

Hinterlands is nice but the devs seem stuck in their own ruts.

NWN2OC Crossroad Keep is a masterpiece of this genre. The final siege when you send out your troops to do their things, depending on how you built your facility, is marvellous.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had an idea for a civ/rogue-like; In it, the player would control successive generations of a leader/king/queen of a nomad tribe and would require the player to delve into dungeons and clear out map areas to secure resources in order to improve their tribes tech/civ levels while also taking land from other local forces and defending their own. The game would end when the player had no more heirs (game over) or in a climactic battle with a neighboring kingdom once the player had amassed a civilization level worthy of concern.

As far as games that aren't vaporware.. idk.
shhh, just do it already!
I would really love to play Birthright done right.

valcik

Arcane
There's also one misson with fortified base defense in The Age of Decadence, part of Imperial Guards' quest line. Not your own fortress exactly and not much of a fight, with a few side quests and a couple of checks against your character's stats for more dangerous allies though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom