Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with base / stronghold defense

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anyway, who are you to judge what's "rpg feature" and what's not? Fortresses are perfectly fine with me, if the setting allows them.

:hmmm:
dao, nwn2, dai, poe, bg2, ds, and I'm sure many more RPGs (will) have a stronghold/home base system. not all of these get besieged; that's why OP is asking.

why are you trying to dispute that this is a thing?

btw, you can take your moderation concerns here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?forums/site-feedback.5/
(and please note that I'm not a moderator)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
dao, nwn2, dai, poe, bg2, ds, and I'm sure many more RPGs (will) have a stronghold/home base system. not all of these get besieged; that's why OP is asking.

Why are you promoting the forced imposition of a non-RPG mechanic into our RPGs, like I said in my first post, if you want to play a tower defence game, go play a fucking tower defence game.

Most RPGs have a home base system, it's where you dump all your loot. In Divine Divinity you get to buy a house, in Icewind Dale you get to own the upper-floor of a hotel. What the fuck has managing a stronghold (read, omg you own a castle that gets besieged) got to do with the price of fish?

You might view it as a logical extension of the concept of a "home base", but it's not once you start "managing for a siege", it becomes a Tower Defence game. Yes, in RPGs your home base area might come under attack, from some easy to kill trash mobs for story-sake (which is what NWN2 turned out to be anyway), but once you start *managing* your base for an *expected* siege, you're just on the path to sidetrack :decline:

Perkel

Arcane

Why are you promoting the forced imposition of a non-RPG mechanic into our RPGs, like I said in my first post, if you want to play a tower defence game, go play a fucking tower defence game.

Most RPGs have a home base system, it's where you dump all your loot. In Divine Divinity you get to buy a house, in Icewind Dale you get to own the upper-floor of a hotel. What the fuck has managing a stronghold (read, omg you own a castle that gets besieged) got to do with the price of fish?

You might view it as a logical extension of the concept of a "home base", but it's not once you start "managing for a siege", it becomes a Tower Defence game. Yes, in RPGs your home base area might come under attack, from some easy to kill trash mobs for story-sake (which is what NWN2 turned out to be anyway), but one you start *managing* your base for an *expected* siege, you're just on the path to sidetrack :decline:

94Zx59gnQtWh2.gif

Your whole problem is that base system is not RPG mechanic. What is next ? Having your base in space game will change it to something other than space game ?

Can we have new emot for newfags ?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You might enjoy calling me names, but in each post you completely fail to provide a historical narrative of games where you *manage* your base camp...

It is rather telling about how this thread generates posts not from games which provide the mechanic but from people denying it's the wrong mechanic to have in an RPG - while siting no historical evidence (pre-decilne years) that it's a normal RPG mechanic...

naossano

Cipher
Not sure it will move things forward, but i woud rather have RPG features included in a base management game than base management features included in an RPG.
If the RPG is the focus, too much emphasis in base management could feel distracting. On the other hand, RPG features in a base management game would make it feel more alive.
It could also be an hybrid game like Heroes of Might & Magic. The main features are about improving your cities and gather ressources. Yet, it have a few RPG elements that make it more alive, enough to make you care about people in the base.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
requesting dumbfuck tag for IncendiaryDeviceDrog

this just in: RPGs cannot contain puzzles (cause then it's a logical/adventure game), fights with more than n participants (cause then it's a strategy game) nor they can be FPP (cause then it's a FPS)

:retarded:

Declinator

Arbiter
You might enjoy calling me names, but in each post you completely fail to provide a historical narrative of games where you *manage* your base camp...

It is rather telling about how this thread generates posts not from games which provide the mechanic but from people denying it's the wrong mechanic to have in an RPG - while siting no historical evidence (pre-decilne years) that it's a normal RPG mechanic...

Why exactly does it even matter if base managing is an RPG mechanic or not? Are you some sort of a neurotic RPG purist who cannot tolerate RPGs with non-RPG mechanics? Does System Shock 2 push your buttons to a breaking point since it features player-skill centric real-time shooting which is a flagrantly non-RPG mechanic?

This thread is about RPGs with base managing and as such it is a thread that deals with RPGs whether base managing itself is an RPG mechanic or not.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Not sure it will move things forward, but i woud rather have RPG features included in a base management game than base management features included in an RPG.
If the RPG is the focus, too much emphasis in base management could feel distracting. On the other hand, RPG features in a base management game would make it feel more alive.
It could also be an hybrid game like Heroes of Might & Magic. The main features are about improving your cities and gather ressources. Yet, it have a few RPG elements that make it more alive, enough to make you care about people in the base.

This is what I'm saying. Hey look, the first person to try and use the concept of conversation in a debate thread and they agree with me... go figure!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
IncendiaryDevice :lol: You are asking for
historical evidence (pre-decilne years) that it's a normal RPG mechanic...
but you haven't actually played any of those, have you? All you do is search for random review and copy somebody's conclusion here. Why don't you stop being a little bitch, and actually PLAY some iconic rpgs with brilliantly implemented base-defense mechanics? You may start out with M&B and Space Rangers 2, since you missed them.

But I know, I know. It's so much more fun to read some reviews, and be all butthurt here on Codex.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
requesting dumbfuck tag for IncendiaryDeviceDrog

this just in: RPGs cannot contain puzzles (cause then it's a logical/adventure game), fights with more than n participants (cause then it's a strategy game) nor they can be FPP (cause then it's a FPS)

:retarded:

Classic over-reaction hyperbole.

Puzzles have always been an RPG mechanic, fights with multiple participants likewise and camera perspective has nothing to do with historical mechanics.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
but you haven't actually played any of those, have you? All you do is search for random review and copy somebody's conclusion here. Why don't you stop being a little bitch, and actually PLAY some iconic rpgs with brilliantly implemented base-defense mechanics? You may start out with M&B and Space Rangers 2, since you missed them.

Search shows:

Space Rangers 2: Dominators (Russian: Космические рейнджеры 2: Доминаторы), released in North America with the subtitle Rise of the Dominators, is a multi-genre science fictioncomputer game

You're damn right I'm not playing it...

DraQ

Arcane

Why are you promoting the forced imposition of a non-RPG mechanic into our RPGs
Newsflash:
All the RPGs have non-RPG mechanics forcibly imposed onto them.

TB iso combat? Non-RPG mechanics (you have TB strategies/tactical games).
RT iso combat? you have RTS games.
RT FPP/TPP? You have FPS games.
TB/RT blobber? I wouldn't be surprised to find something non-RPG as well.

Or maybe, if someone starts a thread about RT isometric RPGs you will want it dumped into GG and derailed into discussing StarCraft because "RT iso is not an RPG mechanics"?
:hearnoevil:

The OP wanted RPGs with stronghold defense (which definitely isn't the same as some retarded tower defense minigame) which is a valid request - RPGs have different focus than your typical game where you defend a base against siege, so they can introduce a different perspective - instead of god's eye micromanagement of all the defenders they can concentrate on preparation, and then being in one place at a time, trying to squeeze out as much help as possible, which gets even more interesting if you account for multitude of possible builds and specializations and is definitely both a valid, interesting and novel thing to have in an RPG and something you won't replicate in another genre where you might defend a base.

if you want to play a tower defence game, go play a fucking tower defence game.
Are you a wizard.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Icewind Dale 2 has a mechanic where you defend a castle from attack. It's not *your* stronghold, and the quests to improve the structure are simply that, quests for *adventurers*. There's not *maintaining* or *managing* there's just quests that lead to a set-piece battle and on you go into the wilderness. There you go, there's my contribution. I've said my piece, sorry if my view causes so much butthurt... catch y'all in a thread in 2020 bemoaning further RPG decline...

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
just a regular dumbfuck, please. he's not a unique snowflake.

By the way, I double these two. DoP didn't hook me for long, though. But Hinterland is pretty much the only roguelike I know with tasty building/defence mechanics. Damn, now I want to play it again.
eh, I think I've tried Hinterlands and it came up extremely bland and samey.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
just a regular dumbfuck, please. he's not a unique snowflake.

By the way, I double these two. DoP didn't hook me for long, though. But Hinterland is pretty much the only roguelike I know with tasty building/defence mechanics. Damn, now I want to play it again.
eh, I think I've tried Hinterlands and it came up extremely bland and samey.

It was simple and short (and somewhat ugly-looking), yet difficult and addicting. But once you nailed it once, it's hardly replayable.

Still, was good for a weekend back in the day.

Hmm. Better idea: "Flame Retardant".
:dance:

- Flame Retardant
- Icendiary Device
- Butthurt all over the thread

I think I found an appropriate custom avatar for him.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hmm. Better idea: "Flame Retardant".

Or you could just debate the topic logically and disprove me with valid historical evidence...

Of course non-RPG mechanics find their way into RPGs, but the examples you gave were retarded and when non-RPG mechanics do pop-in they are not really quite so in-your-face as "build your own castle and stay there for one third of the game". Your counter points:

TB iso combat? Non-RPG mechanics (you have TB strategies/tactical games).
RT iso combat? you have RTS games.
RT FPP/TPP? You have FPS games.
TB/RT blobber? I wouldn't be surprised to find something non-RPG as well.

Method of delivery is not in-game mechanics, it's method of delivery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom