Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that make you crave for resources

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Maybe NEO Scavenger is a recommendable game for you. It starts basically as a hobo simulator, and when you survive enough by eating human meat and drinking some swamp's water to get a decent shotgun and a shopping cart; you get murdered by a random melonhead.
Sounds awesome. Never heard of it before. Appreciate the tip!
If the game turns out to be trash, I'll find you and give a ride on shopping cart

Dead Money had quite good illusion of difficulty, because you felt constant drain of resources. Your health, your limbs health, gear durability, ammo. And no reliable sources of replenishing all that.
In fact, it's still quite easy, but constant pressure and fear to run out of resources was real.
Right, an illusion. Like an illusion of choice in Walking Dead or Mass Effect. It can be belivable, but it's fake.

Don't get me wrong, Dead Money is my favorite DLC for NV. It has atmosphere, it is real engaging first time you play it, it's got incredible plot. But it's just a DLC. A nice, but short experience.

To get something close to this in Skyrim one have to completely remove health regen and healing spells. OR add some slowly building up permanent harm from wounds, that can be not removed by restoration or other similar means.
Did it with mods. Still easy as fuc any other TES game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/?snr=1_5_9__205

Not really an RPG and I haven't played it so I can't comment but it looks like the sort of thing you're looking for.
Nevermind the request, I always enjoy a good trailer. Thanks.

Ctrl+F - found no results for...
Man of Prey.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289600/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289600/
Nah, I'm good with watching your LP thread. Don't need to play it myself. Besides, I'm scared of russian rpgs.

You play in post apocalyptic Russia, play as a scavenger that struggle for every day. Canned meat and condensed milk is fine meal and whiskey is treasure, real.
Can't see how is post-apoc Russia different from modern Russia. You've pretty much described my average day.

And Gorky17 have limited in first location, then it's not that much.
Well, it DOES get pretty easy once you've completed it a couple times. But still, it's never generous. You just have (barely)enough bullets and meds throughout the game, depending on mad tactic skillz.

99% of games: First 1/3 to 1/2 of games resoruces are usually reasonably tight. Second half things get to be ove rabundant. Though, that's kind of to be expected since when you get that far into a game you shouldn't need to be worrying about 'small' stuff like ammo.
Err, no. 99% go like this:
1. Tutorial - resources are tight.
2. Char creation/Start of game - you get everything you need.
3. Early game - God Tier loot and stuff.
4. End of early game - Master Of All Universes Tier loot and equipment
5. ...
6. FACEROLL!

Don't know if that the best example but I thought Shadowrun Retruns Dragonfall does a good job of keeping the player tight on money for most of the game.
Loved it. With all my heart. But the game is still guilty of:
- being too short
- being too easy
And it doesn't feature any kind of resource shortage. Yeah, you probably cannot always buy best availiable equipment at any moment of the game, but it isn't really "scarce res experience"

If you liked Mount and Blade, then the X series qualifies.
The what series? Google gives me this:
full-eb87b80eb16af81dc12ad5242c28410a.jpg
Err, do not want/

underrail is pretty resource light early and merchants wont barter just anything; they tell you what they need and if you dont have it then tough, you have to buy in $$$

kinda tapers off mid game but well worth your time because its a brilliant game and my goty
Read about it, kinda intrigued. But I don't approve any early access, except for Dwarf Fortress.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
X2 The Threat, X3 Reunion. Similar to Mount and Blade but in space. You've got nothing early on and getting anywhere takes patience and time, and you can lose your assets easily.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions: Conquistador made me feel this way. I was hoping for more resources all the time. Kept fearing my party members would leave me.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Check out Expeditions Conquistador. And from what I hear, Lords of Xulima might also satisfy you.

naossano

Cipher
I didn't tried any of these but i grabbed informations about them for a french website.

Organ Trail - Remake of Oregon Trail when you travel an manage the ressources of your crew.
http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

Frozen State - Involve hunger, thirst etc...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/270270/

The Long Dark / Impact Winter - Survival in a cold environment
http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojobones/impact-winter

Zpocalypse Survival - You manage your shelter agains't undead ennemies. From the team that made the board game of the same name.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greenbriergames/zpocalypse-survival-reanimated

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Evil Islands
Russian RPG / hack and slash from early 2000. Not a perfect game for sure, but has a unique charm and features a very nice crafting system.
It's pretty difficult (on normal, there is hard mode, but it's just sadistic) and you can't take most enemies in normal combat, you need to rely on stealth and backstabbing and ending the fights as quickly as you can. Most of the stuff you find is absolute crap and everything half-decent is expensive (I love how the game taunts you with item descriptions saying they're shit). If you invest in armor/weapons you'll end up without decent magic (spellcrafting is very expensive), at no point you'll have best equipment in every slot because you want to enchant your stuff with spells and your spells with runes, and the expenses climb very fast. You constantly want better crafting materials, but those are either insanely expensive or found on enemies you can't kill because your equipment is crap. You actually need to understand the system and optimize as much as you can because most enemies are stronger than you or just attack in superior numbers. If you spend everything on body armor and go out without a helmet you can be sure you'll get critically hit in the head in the first fight. Once you get reasonably wealthy the next act begins, your stuff becomes worthless and the cycle continues.

Dead Money is only challenging if you use mods (like the entire game really), I personally use:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35015/?
doesn't change the game completely or add tons of overpowered stuff and almost everything can be adjusted (I think the default ammo reduction is a little too much).

I'm pleasantly surprised Wasteland 2 got this right. Ammo is scarce and expensive until you get to California and you can't just kill random wolves with bursts or you'll run out. Never had a problem with medkits, but I bought a lot whenever I could.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Currently playing Realms of Arkania 1. Fuck me, why do Dark Eye games differ so much? The whole system is nothing like Drakensang or Blackguards.

Included other suggested games on my list, thanks. Will probably move to Lords of Xulima when I get enough of Arkania.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

A remake, huh? Why would anyone need a remake? The game was nice and all, but it's still playable in original.

Evil Islands
Russian RPG / hack and slash from early 2000. Not a perfect game for sure, but has a unique charm and features a very nice crafting system.

It was a failure, actually. It would be a decent game by itself, but considering it being a sequel to Аллоды and Аллоды 2 (I believe these are named "Rage of Mages 1 and 2" on West), Evil Islands is a major letdown. And end of the series too. Such a shame.

Another russian game tried to act as a spiritual successor to Rage of Mages, named "Battle of Heroes". Nice try, but original was still teh best. Also, one should never play russian rpgs for the sake of sanity.

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Try FTL: Faster Than Light if you haven't already. It's has some RPG elements and it certainly has some "count yer coins, try to save healing potions for later, curse those unbelivable market prices" moments.

Throughout the whole game you'll fell like you just don't have enough resources.

It's what you would call "total random" but it's not tedious, not for me at least and it is not that long/time consuming.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was a failure, actually. It would be a decent game by itself, but considering it being a sequel to Аллоды and Аллоды 2 (I believe these are named "Rage of Mages 1 and 2" on West), Evil Islands is a major letdown.

Another russian game tried to act as a spiritual successor to Rage of Mages, named "Battle of Heroes". Nice try, but original was still teh best. Also, one should never play russian rpgs for the sake of sanity.

I consider it more of a spin-off, but I've played EE first, Rage of Mages later (Rage wasn't very well known here and EE was localized and published in a very cheap series), so my perspective on it must be very different.

And end of the series too. Such a shame.

Wasn't there some MMO abomination too? I remember reading about it years ago, maybe it was never finished.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually like russian games, I mean, they're bad, but also GOOD.

On that note, you've played Hammer and Sickle, haven't you?

DraQ

Arcane
I played Requiem. With Frostfall, over 50 other mods and 1323864 home rules - all for the sake of harder gameplay. I ended up wearing just furs, steel weaponry and not using magic - just ignored all other stuff. The game. Is still. Faceroll. I get rich against my own will, even if I avoid dungeon raids. Fucking HUNTING makes you richer than Jarl in no-time. Skyrim's good for LARPing, not for challenge.
Well, it's hard to find a proper hobo-mode RPG even if you don't aim for any specific themes - most RPGs are and have always been about empowerment and overcoming all challenges via liberal application of grindan :decline: .

Plus I kind of aimed low - Strife you mentioned always seemed more like proto-Deus Ex than hobo simulator and assault rifle was always my workhorse weapon in it (it just needs to be fired in short bursts, otherwise it starts shitting bullets all over the screen).
Pretty damn good game, of course, but nowhere near hobo-sim.

You play in post apocalyptic Russia, play as a scavenger that struggle for every day. Canned meat and condensed milk is fine meal and whiskey is treasure, real.
Can't see how is post-apoc Russia different from modern Russia. You've pretty much described my average day.
Russia was post-apoc...

...before it went mainstream.
:yeah:

Emily

Arcane
Hobo phase is indeed the most fun for me in any RPG. Sadly the closest i got to it was heavily moded Oblivion to hell and back(3 overhauls), with all survival needs and bunch of house rules that had a little of that feeling for a longer time. Next one would be moded Morrowind.
Gothic 2 had some of that feeling, but you probably played it already.
I am surprised you listed Brytenwalda as an example i myself didnt really feel that threatened in it. Altho i played mount and blade for quite a time now.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Try FTL: Faster Than Light if you haven't already.

I played FTL quite a lot and enjoyed it a great deal. I can't say the game is about resources. It's pretty random, actually. Sometimes you get good loot and merchants-who-don't-sell-crap, sometimes you don't. It's a roguelike and I likke it that way.

I consider it more of a spin-off, but I've played EE first, Rage of Mages later (Rage wasn't very well known here and EE was localized and published in a very cheap series), so my perspective on it must be very different.
Can't remember the plot of EE too well, so you might be right about spin-off. Still, I always liked good old 2d more than early ugly 3d.

Wasn't there some MMO abomination too? I remember reading about it years ago, maybe it was never finished.
Yes, there WAS an MMO abomination and it was unspeakeable horror of a game. Techincally, it's still running and some people (russian prisoners, I guess) even play it. Now, let us never speak of it again.

Allods_120721_055346.jpg

I actually like russian games, I mean, they're bad, but also GOOD.

On that note, you've played Hammer and Sickle, haven't you?

Never tried it. Last russian RPG I played was Planet Alcatraz. After that I have sworn to preserve and protect what's left of my sanity. Meaning, never play rus rpgs again.

Well, it's hard to find a proper hobo-mode RPG even if you don't aim for any specific themes - most RPGs are and have always been about empowerment and overcoming all challenges via liberal application of grindan :decline: .
True, and I appreciate the advice. I just take it a bit personal when it comes to Skyrim - so much time spent on modding "hard Skyrim experience". Such a waste.

Speaking of hobo RPGs, there is a decent amount of such. If only my memory would serve me better. But from wht I've remembered recently:
1. Drakensang: Teh Dark Eye. It takes SO MUCH fucking time just to find/buy a mediocre SWORD, you wouldn't believe. It's not like the game is hard, it's just INCREDIBLY slow-paced. You're gonna feel hobo for a LONG time.
2. Unreal World with home rules. Ok, I know it's not a proper hobo-rpg if we speak home rules, but you need only one. One simple thing you won't even need to repeat: discard the knife. Better yet, start the game at winter in "hurt, helpless and afraid" scenario and discard the knife. I double dare you. Now you can't hunt for shit (if if you manage to kill a squirell with rocks, you can't cut it, period), you can't make bandages out of yer clothes (and those wounds HURT and slow you down), you can't chop trees and start fires to warm up. Ad all the water around you is fucking frozen. URW doesn't let you break ice with stone - you still need a knife for that. Ultra-hard home rule: do not zoom out to world map until you stumble on any settlement.
3. Demons Souls, until you git gud. It's pretty damn hard to maintain a human form id DS, unlike DkS. Either you beat a non-respawning boss and get HF till you die or you consume very rare ephemeral eyes. Also, no infinite estus here - you need grass to restore hp. Good grass is fucking rare and expensive.
4. Stranger. I may be wrong on this one, coz it's been some time since I've played it. And I can't find this shit anywhere now, neither on sale, nor on torrents. But I played it years ago and the only thing I remember about gameplay is CONSTANT fucking running from enemies and always, ALWAYS something like 5-10% hp on my healthbar. Maybe someone who played it can share some light or provide a link, I would gladly replay it.
Stranger_(video_game).jpg

Plus I kind of aimed low - Strife you mentioned always seemed more like proto-Deus Ex than hobo simulator and assault rifle was always my workhorse weapon in it (it just needs to be fired in short bursts, otherwise it starts shitting bullets all over the screen).
Pretty damn good game, of course, but nowhere near hobo-sim.
Maybe you're right on this. Still, playing 80% of the game with damn rifle (and having ammo issues pretty often as well) makes me feel kinda underpowered.

Hobo phase is indeed the most fun for me in any RPG. Sadly the closest i got to it was heavily moded Oblivion to hell and back(3 overhauls), with all survival needs and bunch of house rules that had a little of that feeling for a longer time. Next one would be moded Morrowind.
Gothic 2 had some of that feeling, but you probably played it already.
I am surprised you listed Brytenwalda as an example i myself didnt really feel that threatened in it. Altho i played mount and blade for quite a time now.
Yar, early Gothics and maybe even Risen 1 qualify. Can't argue with that.

As for Brytenwalda, you're trolling me. Come on. Or maybe you just never participate in combat yourself, which I can totally understand. I actually tried to replay it recently and failed in most miserable way. If Brytenwalda's not challenging, then I don't know what is.
1. All weapons break. Horses die. You may get PERMANENT statloss. If you tell me you never die, as like you never caught insta-death throwing spear in da head from random Dena pirate - I won't believe you. Of course, I act like fucking chicken too during those "healing" periods, but I on every other occasion I prefer to fight alongside others. As you know, it's INCREDIBLY hard and slow to level-up beyound lvl 40 or so in M&B. So gettin perma-statlosses often can transform you into Brandon Stark over time. You know, a legless child giving commands to others?
2. Neutrals are BADASS. Especially Dena pirates and Frankish raiders. They are not only top-notch equipped, but also extremely fast. It's hard to deal with them, coz you either need to travel (almost)alone, or have a SHITTON of units to feel safe around their turf. If not, they will outrun and pown you, or at least make some severe casualties.
3. You probably know that already, but there is NO "knight strike" in Brytenwalda or whatever that's called properly. When you make a strike with weight of teh spear while on horse. Which was insta-kill in 99,9% of ocassions in vanilla M&B. Also, there are no longbows and shit. Oh, and you can't develop "Power Shot" beyond level 4. In other words, Brittania cannot into archery. Yet.
4. Fatigue system. Can't fight for too long, or you basically drop unconsious and can't do shit. More armour = more fatigue usage. Speaking of armour, it gives SEVERE penalties to a lot of skills. Wearing heavy armour (which is chainmails) = not being able of running fast, striking strong, doing any kind of archery and ranged shit. You can also stumble and fall if going backwards, without even being fatigued. It takes more time to get up with heavy equipment on you.
5. Sieges. I won't even start on that. Sieges are HARDCORE, getting a castle is a major accomplishment in Brytenwalda.
6. Most of all, moneh. Yes, there are ways of grinding them more or less safely. Like, hunting in some regions, trading on some specific trade routes and investing in buisnesses. But:
- Hunting is tedious and boring. Besides, the game tends to dissapear from a region after prolongued constant hunting. It's good when you need a lot of food ASAP (big starving army) or when you don't have other options of getting rich.
- Factions in Brytenwalda are not very, err, stable. Today they treat you like +10, tomorrow it's -1 with no obvious reason. Suddenly, all cities of a certain faction close their gates for you. So much for a trade route. And it can happen more often than you imagine.
- Same goes for buisnesses. Got -1 relations with a faction? Have a buisness arrest in all cities of that faction. No income for you.

Brytenwalda is living in a constant threat of loosing everything after one. Single. Mistake. But I stress it again: only when you play in realistic mode. Of coz it's easy-peasy when you can load after getting a scar/losing a fight.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Not an rpg, and I haven't played them myself, but maybe the couple first Dino Crisis games? Shinji Mikami was involved pretty heavily with them, and he was a big part of Resident Evil 1&2.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Whenever I play Oblivion, Fallout 3, Or Skyrim, I crave alcohol to numb the pain. Does that count?

baturinsky

Arcane
Problem with scarcity of resources is that player's skill varies. With same resources, one can play comfortably and accumulate them, other barely come by, and third just fail. Also, if each mess up can be very hard to recover from, that can encourage save/load spamming.

One thing I really hate Dead Money for is that often only way to figure out how not to be collar-exploded is to try everything, while reloading before/after you run out of timer (it's technically not about scarcity of resources, but... let's say it's about scarcity of time as a resource:) ).

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Daggerfall and not just because the poster above me is using an avatar from that game.

Renegen

Arcane
I think Space Rangers qualifies for this thread, strong management needed both in terms of money and time. All of the "Endless" franchise line of games qualify, except they're all terrible.

And I think that many strategy games put heavy emphasis on craving resources but in more clever ways, time being one of the most important resources usually. I consider Civilization V(I know) one of the finest examples, you can play on the easiest difficulty with 1 town and on the hardest difficulty with 1 town and the only difference is how efficient your decisions are. And the game is turn based, so none of this 300 APM nonsense that RTS are about.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Not an rpg, and I haven't played them myself, but maybe the couple first Dino Crisis games? Shinji Mikami was involved pretty heavily with them, and he was a big part of Resident Evil 1&2.
Yeah, survival horros were uber-great in ps1 times. Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, already mentioned RE and SH series too. Crappy techonology forced devs to be creative in order to make games scary. So they desinged scarce resourses and traditional retarded camera. Good times.

Whenever I play Oblivion, Fallout 3, Or Skyrim, I crave alcohol to numb the pain. Does that count?
If you're low on alcohol, sure. But then again, what bigass BALLS should one have to play Bethesda games sober.

Problem with scarcity of resources is that player's skill varies.
True. Also, Codexers are mostly trolls. They recommended Realms of Arkania ITT - the game doesn't NEARLY qualify the request (you get best availiable equipment from the start - just buy it/grab for free from Arsenal - it's not like there is shortage of money). And now I'm stuck with it. Coz otherwise it's fucking magnificent. And maybe someone in RoA does experience some kind of shortage..? Nah, that's just ridiculous.

I think Space Rangers qualifies for this thread, strong management needed both in terms of money and time. All of the "Endless" franchise line of games qualify, except they're all terrible.

And I think that many strategy games put heavy emphasis on craving resources but in more clever ways, time being one of the most important resources usually. I consider Civilization V(I know) one of the finest examples, you can play on the easiest difficulty with 1 town and on the hardest difficulty with 1 town and the only difference is how efficient your decisions are. And the game is turn based, so none of this 300 APM nonsense that RTS are about.
Space Rangers, yar! Although, that's a tricky one. When you buy something good, the world IMMIDIATELY generates something better on another side of the galaxy. You got your Space Engine class Shepard just yesterday, but today everybody rides on Space Engine class FemShep XXL. And you r not trendy anymore. Fucks, just like in RL with all those german autos.

Pretty much every strategy game features more or less tough resource managment. Otherwise they would not be strategies. What "Endless" franchise do you mean? Google acted retard when I asked him.

Renegen

Arcane
Endless Space, Endless Legends, Dungeon of the Endless. Besides maybe Endless Legends, they're shit, they're basically rubberband simulators.

baturinsky

Arcane
Space Rangers is actually a quite good example. What they did is made all equipment constantly wearing and tearing in combat, and repair is expensive quite enough to make you thinking twice before buying something hip and trendy, but too expensive to acquire and maintain.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Endless Space, Endless Legends, Dungeon of the Endless. Besides maybe Endless Legends, they're shit, they're basically rubberband simulators.
Ok. Never heard of those. I'll put them on my list then. Can't be worse than Oblivion, eh?

Space Rangers is actually a quite good example. What they did is made all equipment constantly wearing and tearing in combat, and repair is expensive quite enough to make you thinking twice before buying something hip and trendy, but too expensive to acquire and maintain.
Come to think of it, I remember triying to play it on max difficulty back in the day and that was way beyond my skill. It's not just hard for player, the fucking synth were PWNING all galaxies. By the time you lose virginity, not a single free galaxy is left.

It's like playing Mass Effect 1 and having the Reapers destroy harvest all races before Shepard becomes a Spector. It's, err, kinda fun in suicidal way. But I wonder if it's completable at all, or is it there just for lulz?

naossano

Cipher

Playing Dungeon of the Endless since the beginning of the Early Access, it only become hard to handle ressources when you start to suffer casualties. As long as you build enough module, level up your heroes, put them in the right position, you shouldn't have any problems. Then, when you end up facting the gigantic army of boss-like creature, lose a few heroes/modules, you end up dead after a few waves. So you aren't an hobo until very late, and then, if you stay a hobo, you are dead. The goal is not becoming an hobo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom