Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG's that can be deep enough like books and movies.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atleticano, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

1. Caelgender: ⚧ Learned

Cael
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Garriott is on record saying that he wanted U4 to be different because he was getting feedback that killing an end boss in a game was too cliche or Evil or violent or something similar. Hence U4.

I have never spoken to him nor seen him speak about it and so will have to take your word for it.

Criticism is one thing. Using the media establishment to hound people who don't have the same view as you is another. There is something psychologically unhinged about the way SJW pack huint people who don't follow their brand of orthodoxy.

Again, there is a difference between standing up to a difference of opinion and opening yourself up to pack attacks, vandalism, physical attacks and worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AbounIgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

AbounI
    Parrots:
    ITS taught me that only 0.03% know who to trust in the gaming industry.
    Miltiades proves one shouldn't trust what any smiling man can promise you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    None for me,different media. I read book for the imagination part,in game you see it and there is no need to imagine it . As for good writing... BG games,Torment,Deus ex,Thief. Spider games have some really good realistic dialogue,the guys behind Technomancer. Witcher 3 have some great writing too,it have one of the best quests in a video game. Closest to a book for me is King of dragon pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    Well that was one element of his game, the personal convictions he had, especially after reading about letters from fans of the previous Ultima games that rejoiced in violence, were definitely an element in making U4 such a radical departure from previous Ultima games. If he had just done it to respond to criticism, then it wouldn't have been so deeply integrated into the design.

It's an opinion column; newspapers traditionally represent a wide variety of views within opinion columns, including views that contradict or serve as a response to previous opinion columns. If GG can't get its own opinion column, then maybe that says more about GG than the NYT.

You need to understand that many anti-GG people view GG as dangerous, both in general and to the health of the gaming industry.

Do you not remember the (then) straight-laced Garriott's account of the company culture at Sierra? He ultimately left that company due to differences with the management, despite having nowhere else to go. It is also noticeable that GG is far from morally pure.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Caelgender: ⚧ Learned

Cael
    Parrots:
    And so therefore it should never be supported at all and it will never have any good points to make? Got news for you: good luck finding ANYTHING that is morally "pure" and the fact tha SJWs define THEMSLEVES as morally pure and believe that justifies all the EVIL they do is why there is so much hate towards them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Doktor Bestgender: ⚧ Arcane

Doktor Best
    Parrots:
    I have a vague feeling that in a society like that, you would be the one providing the loot (just like the rest of us here)

^ Top  
  7. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    You can always walk the dark allays during the night and hit people with bricks in the head.But you must have some mighty high stealth skills.

^ Top  
  8. Jedi Master Radekgender: ⚧ Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Parrots:
    Reminded me of:

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    The good old animes.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Lambchop19gender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    so...you won't be joining our book club and reading Mein Kampf with us then?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Ohhhh noooo we lost another one. Oh well lets go back to practising marches and salutes.

^ Top  
  12. Caelgender: ⚧ Learned

Cael
    Parrots:
    What the Hell?

Listen, Buckaroo Banzai. It is called a SECRET CLUB for a reason. Stop bringing home strays!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    But,but to become part of the SECRET CLUB you first must become part of the normal club.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The idea that Ultima's Eight Virtues are an expression of Richard Garriott's social conservatism is ahistorical. He's as much as a social conservative as the legions of leftist hippies who idolized J.R.R. Tolkien in the 1960s. Values have changed and you're now seeing something the author didn't intend.

The Digital Antiquarian has a good article on the roots of Ultima's philosophy: http://www.filfre.net/2014/07/the-road-to-iv/

It's particularly relevant to the Codex that one reason Garriott came up with the Eight Virtues was as a corrective to the gameplay style of min-maxing grognards, whose approach to roleplaying he despised.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. KyivAfter12amgender: ⚧ Learned

KyivAfter12am
    Parrots:
    One area where RPGs can work as well or even better than books and movies is immersing the player into ethical systems different from our own. A good example of this is King of Dragon Pass. If you play this game according to the humanist, pacifist and globalist ideals of our world, you won't get very far. You have to be ready to enslave, steal, raid and execute if the game world's ethics demand it.

The advantage of RPGs is that they can still fly under the radar of modern culture of judgement and censorship, at least the smaller indie ones. The bigger titles are already losing this luxury, e.g. when Witcher 3 was criticised for not including enough non-white characters.

Other good examples are Crusader Kings and Expeditions: Viking.

^ Top  
  16. Kev Inklinegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kev Inkline
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I like this particular rating: [​IMG]
    :love:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Caelgender: ⚧ Learned

Cael
    Parrots:
    Don't make me come over there and "normal club" you *waves cattle prod*

^ Top  
  18. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    But the normal club is the nazi club and the secret one is for the marching and saluting.

PS:"Fuck that shit we are getting far too off topic.

^ Top  
  19. Caelgender: ⚧ Learned

Cael
    Parrots:
    Oh God. He's mixed it all up again. To the ovens with him! :argh:

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So Garriott is a storyfag and mondblut is right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mondblutgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    RPGs taught me that people fall into three categories: tools to exploit, obstacles to overcome, and scenery to ignore.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Wayward Songender: ⚧ Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Parrots:
    Which good old anime, if I may be so curious as to inquire?

^ Top  
  23. Jedi Master Radekgender: ⚧ Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Parrots:
    Slayers. Main heroine is a splendid bastard there.

^ Top  
  24. Leitzgender: ⚧ Learned

Leitz
    Parrots:
    They can't be. Simple as that. THEY CAN'T BE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Video games are a medium just like movies and books so of course there is nothing inherently in them that would stop them from offering meaningful content.

I do have trouble however, coming up with moments, let alone whole games, who really made me stop and think, really engaged me intellectually or emotionally, or of which I could say that they shaped me as a real human bean in any meaningful way.

Considering the incredible possibilities of the medium - e.g. the engagement of the recipient, who in fact becomes a participant and agent - the medium has been pretty inept so far to offer a lot of really meaningful content. I wonder why that is.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)