Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Rpgs similar to Dragon Age 2

sullynathan

Arcane
I am coming up to completing Dragon Age 2 soon, yea yea, it's pretty bad. I'm also noticing that the voice acting for certain characters isn't very good, but I will say that its premise is rather different from other Bioware games. It's a small scale story about a man and his family finding their way to improve their livelihood within a city. So pretty much, I'm looking for another small scale rpg, it doesn't have to be about family but it should be something not overly long or bloated, not about saving the world or beating a big bad or an epic story.

I know recently, Kingdom Come Deliverance came out, but don't recommend it. My PC can't hang. Duses Ex Mankind Divided could fit the bill, but that game is eh.

Currently on STEAM & GOG, I have Alpha Protocol & Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. I know the latter is smaller scale and takes place in a city because I played a bit of it but really, I'm not in the mood for lots of cutscenes or lots of shitty combat, not that I'm saying Bloodlines has much of that.

Neanderthal

Arcane
It's a small scale story about a man and his family finding their way to improve their livelihood within a city.

No its not, if it were there'd be some mechanics implemented to show the improvement of their lives and their early struggle. They won't starve or thirst because they don't drink or eat, they don't pay rent so they'll never be evicted or struggle to find shelter, they will never go cold, fall sick or show any effects of tribulation, the plot is totally divorced from the game play and rendered meaningless because of lack of detail.

If you're not in the mood for shitty cutscenes or combat why are you playing a Bioware game?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Rance. Any Rance will do. It's not about saving world but saving single innocent guy hated by entire world. As if he fucked world's mother or sister or wife or all three at the same time aligned on top of each other...

Also rape which is core experience of DA 2 (rape of player's expectations, lore, past Bioware legacy, player's brain etc.) is much more tastefully done in Rance, I gotta admit!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Look in your average garbage bin, I'm sure you'll find some filthy pieces of cardboard and plastic roughly the same quality as dragon age 2. Stuff out of the trash might be cleaner.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's a small scale story about a man and his family finding their way to improve their livelihood within a city. So pretty much, I'm looking for another small scale rpg, it doesn't have to be about family but it should be something not overly long or bloated, not about saving the world or beating a big bad or an epic story.

You should really just play GTA titles. Start with 3 especially it's been all about rags to richest stories, and I'll be damned if San Andreas isn't more RPG than many of the so-called ones we get today.

Frozen

Arcane
I used to fucking hate this game because of its stupid pointless story but in retrospect it turns out its the best BioWare story since then.
Some of good things from Origins were still there in atmosphere mostly, they didn't have the time to fuck 100% everything, that was left for Inquisition.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to fucking hate this game because of its stupid pointless story but in retrospect it turns out its the best BioWare story since then.
Some of good things from Origins were still there in atmosphere mostly, they didn't have the time to fuck 100% everything, that was left for Inquisition.

I gave up on DA:2 and Bioware after a few hours. It was so bad that I can't even remember specifically why.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The expansion for Divinity 2.
I'd argue the expansion is literally just the second part of Divinity 2, but it did have a very fun town to do lots of quests in. I was a huge fan of it. Very tight-nit hubworld.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Dragon Age 1 and 3 have an eerily similar setting. I not sure if this was by design or not.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
From me playing most of the games here, most of them revolve around saving the world, or some world ending catastophe. The OP was asking specifically for small scale, as in, not world saving.

Ye DA2 had some interesting ideas, too bad they didn't put (or have?) enough time to better them. Anyway, as for recommendations? Not sure, not many of these smaller scale games, I guess you could try mount and blade warband? But I'm sure you've allready played it...
I guess NWN2 mask of the betrayer would qualify.
I would probably say age of decadence qualifies for this.
It's been a while, but I think The Darkness 2 is a more personal story, though it's a shooter, fairly lite on rpg.
I haven't finished it (put in a good amount of time though), but Kamidori Alchemy Meister is more about you building up your shop (and harem); I don't remember there being any world threatening catastrophe, but I wasn't paying too much attention to the story so don't rely on my word.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's a small scale story about a man and his family finding their way to improve their livelihood within a city. So pretty much, I'm looking for another small scale rpg, it doesn't have to be about family but it should be something not overly long or bloated, not about saving the world or beating a big bad or an epic story.

You should really just play GTA titles. Start with 3 especially it's been all about rags to richest stories, and I'll be damned if San Andreas isn't more RPG than many of the so-called ones we get today.
I mentioned in the other thread that DA2 was like a GTA game but I've already played nearly all GTA games. Seems to me there aren't many rags to riches rpgs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom