Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs for tablets - seeking list additions

Delicieuxz

Cipher
I'm looking for decent RPGs that are competently playable on tablet devices, whether officially or by user port. I'm particualrly interested in Android compatible RPGs, but I'll add any with their OS designation that are mentioned to the OP list to make a compilation for others' reference. I'm also going to include upcoming RPGs

Windows (most everything, but with control hiccups)

Android:

9th Dawn
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Broken Sword - Director's Cut
Broken Sword 2
Broken Sword 5: Episode 1
Chaos Rings 1, 2, Omega
Chrono Trigger
Cyber Knights
Deadly Dungeons
Dweller
Final Fantasy 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, Dimensions
King of Dragon Pass
Overlive - Zombie
Pixel Dungeon
QuestLord
Shadowrun Returns
Simon the Sorcerer
Spectral souls
Sword & Sworcery
Tales Of Illyria
The Bard's Tale
The Raventhal
Ur-Quan Masters HD a.k.a. Star Control II
Wayward Souls

Playable via custom engine ports:

Jagged Alliance 2
Heroes of Might & Magic 2, 3
Infinity Engine games Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dale, using GemRB
Lanterna - The Exile
Red Carnival

With Emulator:

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Shining Force 2
Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis
Final Fantasy 6, Tactics

Android upcoming:

Broken Age
Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition
Wasteland 2 (potential)

iOS:

Final Fantasy games
The Quest
Undercroft
Ultima Forever - Quest for the Avatar
The Shadow Sun
Silversword
King of Dragon Pass
Knights of the Old Republic
XCOM
Deus Ex
Warhammer Quest

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Android:

Final Fantasy Tactics (PPSSPP)
Final Fantasy 5, 6 (Snes9x EX+)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (nds4droid)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem [eponymous], Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis (My Boy!)
Shining Force 2 (Haven't tried, I'm sure there's an emulator)
Dweller (Android native, simple but nice roguelike)

You can port Fallout and IE games right now but to me it's far too clunky to really play.

gromit

Arcane
Dweller's lack of updates and misguided PC-centric development have led me to switch it out for Pixel Dungeon.

It can be frustratingly luck-based -- there's a "gatekeeper" on Level 5 who will one-or-two-shot you while you tickle him, if the game gives you piles of gold to spend at the shop on Level 6 instead of offensive or tactical items (or armor that makes all enemies' attacks wholly ineffective for a few floors.) The interface for item-use certainly isn't as awesomely simple and obvious as Dweller, either, but it at least has a decent inventory grid.

It's usually "brutal but fair" once you get a decent enough start to build momentum, and it has more elements of systemic play... fire burns nearby wood, spotted traps can be triggered by chucking items on the floor, etc. Haven't played much lately, but the newest update supposedly adds some questing, which might give a little slack / alternate means, to playthroughs which are soft-crippled by the RNG.

It really can be that bad. I always try to stick with it, and tough it out, which only makes it worse. It makes me want to just restart if the first floor -- which either showers you with wands and armor, or with weapons and gold you can't use -- just LARP that I went back up the stairs with my pockets full of gold. The only winning move in some runs is simply not to play.

But I'm still recommending it, obviously, because the first few floors are always decent (unless you play them too many times in a row,) the loot-placement is capable of teasing you in a risk/reward kind of way, and when you're given enough resources to do something, anything, it's fun to try to apply (and stretch) them effectively.

hydd

The Quest (iOS & PC) $4.99->$7.99 depending on version & expansions
  • fps-like view with continuously rendered 3D graphics
  • iPhone-based gestures for movement or interaction
  • ambient visual and sound effects
  • day and night cycles with weather effects
  • a huge, complex, living world with underground levels (yeah, it's actually pretty huge and grid based)
  • long and provocative main storyline (my type of game)
  • dozens of interesting side missions
  • optional undead race with different abilities
  • complex magic, enchant and alchemy system
  • primary and secondary skills
  • advanced dialogue system
  • readable books, pickable locks, repairable items
  • race-, gender-, fame- and outfit-based relationships (aka, lots of glorious sexism)
  • fantasy card game with three decks at the inns (think AcroMage)
  • original soundtrack
That's copypasta from their website (with my comments), but they left out the best parts of the game... Turn based, no level scaling and hand drawn art...

iphoneshot1.jpg

Without this game, my work iPad would be even dustier. This game is a Hungarian kickback to Western CRPGs (think Arena & Daggerfall). Had they increased the resolution and released all the expansions and patches on the PC version, I think we could have all been happier.

P.S. For PC master races, the PC demo can be downloaded on their site (http://www.redshift.hu/quest/TheQuestDemo.msi). Issue is, the only way to buy it, is to email them and exchange PayPal (Only know this because I bought myself a key).
---------------

Undercroft (iOS) $0.00

Undercroft is an epic adventure set in a fantasy world full of magic and monsters. With over 20 hours of addicting game play, dozens of quests and over 60 enemies to defeat. Their description sucks worse than the one for The Quest. In any case, it's a turn based blobber with 4 party members. The character progression promotes replayability and it's puzzles can be quite challenging without checking the walkthrough on their website.

screenshot_1_main.jpg

Personally, i didn't play this one too much. The combat, even while turn based, is popamole. By the middle of the game (on the hardest difficulty), I could already spam my primary attack on each of my party members and beat every encounter I came across. The puzzles were the highlight of the game.

Servo

Arcane
Sorry, I hadn't done my research prior to recommending the game. I thought it was just U4 with a facelift.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Same list for phones? I'm too slim to fit a tablet in my sweat pants.

Also, add Disgaea and Persona to that list pls.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Why don't You get Yourself a Windows tablet and enjoy most RPGs available on the PC?
I have one, and I'm returning it for a Samsung Note 2014 LTE. Being a Windows guru, while being well versed in Android from use of my smartphone, and having used a Windows tablet for a couple of weeks, I say that Windows tablets are crap in comparison. Windows 8.1 does not work even anywhere in the far of distance of sight of the competence of Android for mobile devices. Everything is harder and more time consuming and effort-taking on a Windows tablet than an Android one. Plus, no Swype (the Swype-alikes suck in comparison), no Youtube app (apparently Google made them remove it?)... and the detection boxes for presses are not suited for tablets, as they are on Android. They're suited for large PC monitors - where nobody uses touch-interaction anyways. The vast majority of PC games are not playable on Windows tablets because of the lack of support for mouse controls. I tried playing Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate on my Win tablet, and there's no way to pan the screen.

Same list for phones? I'm too slim to fit a tablet in my sweat pants.

Also, add Disgaea and Persona to that list pls.
Which platforms?

Servo

Arcane
Being a Windows guru, while being well versed in Android from use of my smartphone, and having used a Windows tablet for a couple of weeks, I say that Windows tablets are crap in comparison. Windows 8.1 does not work even anywhere in the far of distance of sight of the competence of Android for mobile devices.

All that may be true but tablets still suck in general, Android or no. I can't stand browsing Codex on my Asus Transformer, which is supposedly the best tablet evar :x

Also you have to sell your soul to Google to use Android. Not that Apple or Microsoft are any better.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
My current contracts coming toward end and I'm looking for Xperia Pro.
I wonder how emulation could work on phone with Android an qwerty...
For example - I want to play BG or ID or P:T on Android with GemRB. Is it support keyboard in it? You know, smashing Space and team management.

Yeah, I'm fresh and that kind of questions.

TemplarLord

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Avoid Sony Android phones if you can, they come with much more bloat than other vendors. I have an X10 and only after I rooted it and purged the phone of all shit apps did it start functioning like a normal phone.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Avoid Sony Android phones if you can, they come with much more bloat than other vendors. I have an X10 and only after I rooted it and purged the phone of all shit apps did it start functioning like a normal phone.
The X10 is an ancient phone by now though (Sony Ericsson doesn't even exist anymore), the new ones are far smoother.

And none of them come close to the bloat of Samsung's Touchwiz

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Any phone is debloatable. Touchwiz uses more resoruces than say vanilla CM10, but then again vanilla CM10 is very fucking vanilla.

Regvard

Arcane
Speaking of CM, are there any roms out there that isn't filled with spyware i.e gives you control over what ALL software can and can't do?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Well, I wanted Xperia pro because my old fixation of little qwerty keyboard (still remember my old pocket translator:() and because it's in my financial reach.
Couldn't find better qwerty model, mostly because they're almost nonexistant when you looking for new phone deal... only touchpads and similiar abominations.

Also - it is possible to modding IE games (BG, ID) like applying fixed, mods, addons, new adventures etc?

I have an X10 and only after I rooted it and purged the phone of all shit apps did it start functioning like a normal phone.
Where I should start with purging of apps? It's just simple exploring phone content and deleting stuff or some hacking or whatever?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Best bang for buck android phone you can get is probably the motorola moto g, and its almost vanilla android with a few added apps. I got one for my wife at amazon.co.uk for less than 150 euros.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of CM, are there any roms out there that isn't filled with spyware i.e gives you control over what ALL software can and can't do?

Yeah, CM. Also ParanoidAndroid, the great thing about PA is it allows you to change the DPI setting, so you can actually use these nice ultra-high res displays instead of having everything scaled up to look like low-res again.

Where I should start with purging of apps? It's just simple exploring phone content and deleting stuff or some hacking or whatever?

That's the problem, most of the bloatware is tacked on by your manufacturer or network as "system apps" so you can't delete them without rooting and using something like Titanium Backup to forcibly remove them. That or completely installing a custom ROM that doesn't have all that crap in the first place.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
All that may be true but tablets still suck in general, Android or no. I can't stand browsing Codex on my Asus Transformer, which is supposedly the best tablet evar :x

I also had the ASUS Transformer and sold it after a couple of months. Still see no reason to get a tablet.

Just get a small laptop if size is an issue - and the new ones have touchscreens too for those who need it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, I'm looking for new phone to play old stuff and emulation.
How about HTC (emulation, is it overloaded with apps?) ? Didn't know they got so many qwerty phones:retarded:
Well... all opinions about htc comes to me from ordinary "John Smith's casuals" and there nothing about gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom