Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGDot is Dead

Jason

chasing a bee
<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/">RPGDot</a>, the original home of our <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</a> pals, has decided to <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#59183">pack it in.</a>
<blockquote>Whilst we have had great fun updating this website for the last couple of years the time has come to say goodbye.

We hope that you have all enjoyed the news and features posted over time and that we have kept you up to date with game news, issues and developments.

We wish you all the best for the future, and remember to visit Jolt for your daily news, features and discussion about all things gaming!</blockquote>

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I seriously thought they were dead a long time ago. It seems like these small but solid niche sites never realize it's all about the talent and not the brand name. ESPN or Gamespot can fire the whole team and get away with it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
FrancoTAU said:
I seriously thought they were dead a long time ago.
Yep. Around the time I couldn't reach articles anymore because of pop-ups, banners, ad-links, etc.
After RPGWatch opened up, I never tried to go back. I'd just assumed they'd closed the site...

Damn it. I go there all the time for all the RPG news goodness. Why you giving it up.
While I have no idea how RPGdot was these last few years, RPGWatch provides the same service without drowning you in commercials. You could try that.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
About time.
Hopefully the good content that's left there can be brought back to the Watch, where it belongs.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Unfortunately, I think Jolt or whoever still owns the rights to all the archived RPGdot stuff. So that shit is lost to the RPGWatch guys forever. No offense though, they're the best reader's digest for RPGs out there but their original stuff is mostly just okay.

Texas Red

Whiner
I stopped visiting RPGDot once I repeatedly kept getting this huge black square that blocked everything from view. Tried getting back after periods as long as years and still the black ad thing. Fuck it, I went to the Watch.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That's what happens when you get into the web news bizness 4 deh buck$.

FrancoTAU said:
I seriously thought they were dead a long time ago. It seems like these small but solid niche sites never realize it's all about the talent and not the brand name. ESPN or Gamespot can fire the whole team and get away with it.
I think the problem centered more around Jolt's new regime. RPGdot lost the purpose behind why it was founded and so split to keep its independence and the original vision.

Congrats on the move!

If I may ask for one thing- now that you have the freedom of being an independent board again, please do not let these forums descend into the madness that they have over at RPGCodex. Please keep RPG Watch respectable and creditable!

Thank you!
2006 had some fun times.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FrancoTAU said:
The codex would be dead too if Vault Dweller decided to leave... oh wait

Deleted member 7219

RPG Watch is good for RPG-related news, Kotaku is good for games in general.

Lumpy

Arcane
inwoker said:
FrancoTAU said:
The codex would be dead too if Vault Dweller decided to leave... oh wait
Dead, huh? Then why was DarkUnderlord the first to make an FPS review for the Codex? VD never had the talent to do that. I say good riddance.

Morbus

Scholar
Yall need to find a decent browser that's what. I use Firefox, but even in crappy IE7 i don't get any ads of that sort... What are you on? IE5.5?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You mean worse than the codex? Because from where I'm standing, the Codex is pretty damn ugly. But we're not here for the pretty graphics.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Rpgdot was a slow site. It took ages just to open a single forum post.

Mareus

Magister
I really loved it how Oblivion had the highest score right next to Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 there (Top 100 RPGs list). That was still in the year 2007, and later it got all messed up. Wish the codex had something similar where all those Oblivion fanboys could come and give it a perfcet 10/10 LOL

Gorath

Novice
Yeah, you really need to try such a top list to understand where its problems are. :P

Saxon1974

Prophet
One feature I liked on rpgdot was they had an upcoming RPG release dates list, and I dont see this on RPGWATCH. Is this available somewhere else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom