Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPGCodex (Unofficial) curator

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The Witchers and Wasteland 2 are "recommended"
They aren't though.
but Neverwinter Nights is shat on. This curator needs professional help.
NWN was garbage. No more tendies for you.
and then twitcher 3 is as good an rpg as fallout 1 and 2 :retarded:
Informational means informational. Not recommended means it's not recommended.

How you can interpret this as some sort of ratings system beyond the words' literal and obvious meanings is beyond me, but stop quadruple posting while you do it.

They are good games but you can hardly call them RPG.
They have RPG elements. The official curator has them too.
Also he recommended wastetime 2.
hD6yUUf.png

10/10 goty :roll:

If you want to see an actual recommendation, look at the official curator. It recommends everything on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what you mean by "NWN is garbage". The OC is, but everything else is great, especially user-made modules. It's much better than Twitchers or Wasteland 2, that's for sure, even if you think the single-character combat is cancer, which it isn't.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They are good games but you can hardly call them RPG.
They have RPG elements. The official curator has them too.
Also he recommended wastetime 2.
hD6yUUf.png

10/10 goty :roll:

If you want to see an actual recommendation, look at the official curator. It recommends everything on it.
Isn't that the point of curator? To recommend good games and not to fill the list with bunch of trash and not recommend them?! Better make a list of all the games you recommend instead of shitting on games that you don't like. Also steam is pretty useless for good rpgs,all of them are on gog.

Isn't that the point of curator?
To recommend everything? Even to the point of re-writing reviews in a "neutral-positive" tone just so it will make sense when linking from the curator? No, pretty sure it isn't.
To recommend good games and not to fill the list with bunch of trash and not recommend them?
The point of the curator can be to recommend, or it can be to provide a quick review of the game in question so you don't waste your money on it. There are even curators that only talk about shit games for this reason.

How can you not realize this obvious fact when there are 3 ratings within the curator: recommended, not recommended and informational?
Also steam is pretty useless for good rpgs,all of them are on gog.
Then why should we recommend any on Steam? And why do you care about this thread?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I keep hearing this, but is there a single module that features some kind of amazing writing like BG2 or Fallout? Could you give examples?

I didn't know BG2 had amazing writing. If that's your standard, then yes, Swordflight will scratch that particular itch, as well as The Prophet and the Aielund Saga.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i'm not saying morrowind should be recommended. but the retarded argument about movement speed is retarded and should be replaced with one that is not retarded.

Wait, but then why am I retarded, too (he asked innocently)?

Wanna start a real debate ? Replace morrowind by daggerfall.

Mace, you make a great point. Usually when someone says Morrowind was shit, someone else will say, ah, but what about Dagerfall!? Taking off my mid to late 90s nostalgia goggles, Dagerfall ain’t much to write home about. I do think it’s better than the other TES games—more skills and abilities—but it also has most of the same flaws as Morrowind and Skyblivion. Except in the case of Dagerfall, the world was more like a thousand procedurally generated miles wide and only an inch deep. I never played Arena, but I’d say Dagerfall was the best game in a lousy series. If Arena was actually better then this fucking series has been in decline since its inception.

The big difference is that when Dagerfall came out in 1996, while its world was incredibly shallow and full of random FedEx/kill quests, it was very ambitious and there was a sense that maybe they’ll get it right next time. It had potential. I liked it more as a young teenager, but I came to it after I played Fallout, so I couldn’t possibly love it. Still, back then I felt like they could make a strong game if they hired some decent writers and started giving a fuck about role playing as more than just designing your character for combat. Instead, they kind of doubled down on the flaws because Bethesda doesn’t understand what an RPG is.

So to answer your question, the fatal flaw of TES has been there from the beginning and we’re really just talking about gradations of disappointment.
i rated your post retarded because your post was retarded. nobody's gonna call morrowind brilliant because of its architecture. and abusable mechanics are not a good argument to make against a sandbox open world game. if anything, a deep enough understanding of the rules of a world should provide you with the possibility to abuse those rules. it fits perfectly into the simulationistic approach. what was good about morrowind were some of the features of its predecessor like mechanics with some depth. a depth that was removed with the next 2 titles. skyrim doesn't even have any attributes any more.

come to think of it, there's a very simple thing many of the latest "rpgs" failed at in the mechanics and itemization department. i want my attributes to be granular and my items bombastic. i want my character to evolve slowly and my rewards to make an impact. why? because my character should grow stronger with time and will grow stronger whatever i do anyway. so i want him to do it slowly. but i do want him to grow. it's a passive thing but not unimportant. itemization on the other hand should not be as granular. it should make a felt difference right away. it's not very satisfying to replace a 100dmg sword with a 101dmg sword. and i shouldn't constantly find new swords. the reason could very well be in the word "replacement". the player will not only grow attached to his character but also to his gear if that gear is well implemented and shouldn't have to discard it too often and for low gains.
you wouldn't make a trip to the store each day to trade in you hard disk for a new one with 1-10MB more space even if such an upgrade system existed and was for free, but many people put hours of effort into training of their own bodies with the sports they prefer even if a felt difference only occurs every few months or years.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The Witchers and Wasteland 2 are "recommended"
They aren't though.
but Neverwinter Nights is shat on. This curator needs professional help.
NWN was garbage. No more tendies for you.
and then twitcher 3 is as good an rpg as fallout 1 and 2 :retarded:
Informational means informational. Not recommended means it's not recommended.

How you can interpret this as some sort of ratings system beyond the words' literal and obvious meanings is beyond me, but stop quadruple posting while you do it.
is that what you tell yourself before going to sleep when you know you didn't recommend morrowind but didn't not recommend twitcher?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The edgiest Codexers arguing among themselves about the choices made in this list was an inevitable outcome. :cool:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
who did dis:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPGCodex-Unofficial/discussions/0/1621724915794207140/
The edgiest Codexers arguing among themselves about the choices made in this list was an inevitable outcome. :cool:
And the intended one.
TrumpSmug.png
Hahahahahaha pretty nice trolling there :lol:.

Aren't you going to hop in? Give us the Roguey edge!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Aren't you going to hop in? Give us the Roguey edge!

Nah, I have no interest in policing opinions.

As with Pillars of Eternity, what we truly need is five different curator lists.
You can just do a little bit of trolling ;).
Who needs curator lists really,we have the codex to ask if some game is ok. Depending on the people and their history you can make pretty educated guess if the game is good. For example,i will never believe Lambchop19 when it comes to action rpgs,but i will take him very seriously if it is about sjw shit in a rpg.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who needs curator lists really,we have the codex to ask if some game is ok. Depending on the people and their history you can make pretty educated guess if the game is good.

The official Codex curator is for the busy tens of thousands who don't have the patience to wade through forum threads, a gateway to a more refined RPG palate.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
especially user-made modules
I keep hearing this, but is there a single module that features some kind of amazing writing like BG2 or Fallout? Could you give examples?

I tried several of the most recommended ones, none of them got me.
Not to say they were bad, but somehow they just weren't working for me. Possibly would have given them more of a chance if I didn't hate the the engine, the combat and the single-character D&D bullshit so much.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

I tried several of the most recommended ones, none of them got me.
Not to say they were bad, but somehow they just weren't working for me. Possibly would have given them more of a chance if I didn't hate the the engine, the combat and the single-character D&D bullshit so much.

Say this for Obsidian, NWN2 may be the worst game they ever made, but it still beats the hell out of NWN1. And none of the fan made modules for NWN can beat Mask of the Betrayer.

Mortmal

Arcane

No absolutely not, oh i will be the evil edgy guy again, none of the modules get anywhere close. You MAY find modules decent enough worth your time if your standards are not too high and rationalize that all of this is free, done with much efforts . Nwn has many of them and also an online part , the same community "roleplaying" furries and lesbian halflings since almost 20 years now. A whole universe to discover...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It depends on what you mean by "NWN is garbage". The OC is, but everything else is great, especially user-made modules. It's much better than Twitchers or Wasteland 2, that's for sure, even if you think the single-character combat is cancer, which it isn't.

The only good NWN modules are those where combat isn't the focus because NWN's single character combat is shit. Sry fam.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there several unofficial Codex curators out there? If so, could someone point me to reviews about them? One negative and one neutral-positive per each, please.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Wow. Such deep and edgy reviews. Such spirit. Where are the recommended games?

EDIT: Also,why the fuck do you even exist? If you plan on moving along the same lines with the official curator, why did you create another? And if you have little to do with the original RPG Codex curator, why use its name? To make edgy 15 year old members suck your dick?

Last edited:

Wow. Such deep and edgy reviews. Such spirit. Where are the recommended games?

EDIT: Also,why the fuck do you even exist? If you plan on moving along the same lines with the official curator, why did you create another? And if you have little to do with the original RPG Codex curator, why use its name? To make edgy 15 year old members suck your dick?
hello, valued reader. welcome to the rpgcodex unofficial curator feedback page.

what seems to be the source of your ass pain today?
:positive:

canakin

Cipher
I was visibly aroused when Elex was not recommended, then I came buckets when Morrowind was shat upon. 10/10 God's work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom