Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPGCodex (Unofficial) curator

Mortmal

Arcane
I enjoyed morrowind at release
I tried to. I did have a decent amount of fun with it once it was heavily modded and the expansions were an improvement in many ways, but there were so many odd, boring, dumb things in it. It had some ok moments, but a great classic it was not.

It was a step backward, both for sandbox games and RPGs. Oblivion was worse, but it merely continued the decline.
People have right to state their opinions without some douchebag shiting on their post with buttons.
No they don't. This is the RPG Codex and everything and everyone can be shat on. Whether it's an undeservedly sacred cow or my posts.

Not on mine, i am fed up of this button dumbfuckery, zero discussions and just the crowd mentality.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed morrowind at release
I tried to. I did have a decent amount of fun with it once it was heavily modded and the expansions were an improvement in many ways, but there were so many odd, boring, dumb things in it. It had some ok moments, but a great classic it was not.

It was a step backward, both for sandbox games and RPGs. Oblivion was worse, but it merely continued the decline.

This! I've said it before, but everyone who shits all over Oblivion and Skyrim but LOOOOVES Morrowind clearly needs help. The new TES games may be worse, but at their core they're just not that different from Morrowind and I find them all lousy for pretty much the same reasons. If I wanted a hiking simulator, I'd go outside. If I wanted boring, repetitive FedEx quests, I'd get a job in the parcel industry. If I wanted bad conversations where what I say has little to no impact on the game world, I'd call my soon-to-be in-laws.

Seethe

Arbiter
there was a great darkest dungeon review that basically threw a ton of shit on that game
Found it.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/darkest-dungeon-released.106384/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Areanynamesnottaken/recommended/262060/

And the official (Unofficial) review is now up on the curator:

WeukUff.png

I took a mix of the Celerity's opinions and the opinions in the thread for it. Metro and Seethe can take pride in their contribution to official (Unofficial) Codex history.

Jesus Christ, he's still going at it though.

Elex

Arbiter
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/31550535-RPGCodex-(Unofficial)/

A great initiative, from estimate member Lambchop19 who dont want to post it himself cause of too many tags already! Say no to the shilling and blatant marketing , join now !
-2/10 for the effort could have invented a better name like “the oficially unofficially rpgwatch rpgcodex curator (lololololol i’m so smart and le funny)”
thinking.png

Why so butthurt, Elex? Can anyone tell me why Elex is so butthurt? Anyone? Bueller?
why? why? WHY?
where is Gothic 1 and 2????
where is DIE NACTH DES RABEN??

Zibniyat

Arcane
Mediocre. Barely tolerable. Good for enjoying a bit of aesthetics (landscape, architecture, world, people(?)), and that's about it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Mediocre. Barely tolerable. Good for enjoying a bit of aesthetics (landscape, architecture, world, people(?)), and that's about it.

What makes Morrowind so superior to Skyrim that it transports the franchise from barely tolerable to brilliant? Better landscapes/architecture? The lack of level scaling in the overworld? Mechanics that are more easily abused? The fact that you don’t find out you’re the chosen one until later in the game? Because to me all that sounds like same pile of shit, better packaging. Take off your nostalgia colored glasses and you will see Morrowind for what it is: mediocre at best.

Skyrim would not suddenly be good if it was set on the same island as Morrowind with more non scaled enemies and more levitation. Todd Howard has never made a good game.

Please, for the love of Yahweh, don’t say the writing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Witchers and Wasteland 2 are "recommended", but Neverwinter Nights is shat on. This curator needs professional help.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i'm not saying morrowind should be recommended. but the retarded argument about movement speed is retarded and should be replaced with one that is not retarded.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Well right now, at this very moment, at the dawn of the prestigious and valuable unofficial curator's list, I'd be more concerned about the pctards.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
just look at how morrowind is not recommended but twitcher 3 is informational when twitcher 3 is pure garbage with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. an obvious console game for console audience. there was even talk about the movement in twitcher 3 having been made for controllers. an inventory interface made for controllers. a 3rd person camera action game made for consoletards. you need more proof lambchop is a consoletard in sheep clothing? he probably didn't enjoy morrowind because he tried to play it on his xbox.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Well yeah Reapa, but what do you suggest to do then ? Admit like any sane person would that making another curator's list because we're insecure about our own tastes was a shit idea ?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
it's not a bad idea, it's just very badly implemented.
pretending to know shit about RPGs and then saying morrowind's main flaw was movement speed, a mechanic influenced by both attributes and skills and then rating it lower than twitcher, a 3rd fucking person console action game with RPG mechanics tied only to dmg and based solely on level and then rating fallout 1+2 and arcanum as good as twitcher is retarded.
fortunately people who read such curator lists aren't smart enough to care about such things so no dmg is done.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
i'm not saying morrowind should be recommended. but the retarded argument about movement speed is retarded and should be replaced with one that is not retarded.

Wait, but then why am I retarded, too (he asked innocently)?

Wanna start a real debate ? Replace morrowind by daggerfall.

Mace, you make a great point. Usually when someone says Morrowind was shit, someone else will say, ah, but what about Dagerfall!? Taking off my mid to late 90s nostalgia goggles, Dagerfall ain’t much to write home about. I do think it’s better than the other TES games—more skills and abilities—but it also has most of the same flaws as Morrowind and Skyblivion. Except in the case of Dagerfall, the world was more like a thousand procedurally generated miles wide and only an inch deep. I never played Arena, but I’d say Dagerfall was the best game in a lousy series. If Arena was actually better then this fucking series has been in decline since its inception.

The big difference is that when Dagerfall came out in 1996, while its world was incredibly shallow and full of random FedEx/kill quests, it was very ambitious and there was a sense that maybe they’ll get it right next time. It had potential. I liked it more as a young teenager, but I came to it after I played Fallout, so I couldn’t possibly love it. Still, back then I felt like they could make a strong game if they hired some decent writers and started giving a fuck about role playing as more than just designing your character for combat. Instead, they kind of doubled down on the flaws because Bethesda doesn’t understand what an RPG is.

So to answer your question, the fatal flaw of TES has been there from the beginning and we’re really just talking about gradations of disappointment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is interesting that he decided to add Battle brothers and Mound and blade games. They are good games but you can hardly call them RPG. Also he recommended wastetime 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom