Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPGCodex plays Dungeon Crawl Classics

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hep takes one of the bloodied spears, too. "Hmph. I can do a lot more damage with these than I could with my lucky dagger. Thanks, Zehal."

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Nicomedes sees no valuable decorations on the statues. The statues themselves are made of solid iron and look like they might be fairly valuable, but they're secured firmly on the ground and even if they weren't, you'd likely have a lot of trouble moving something this heavy.

Cepheus searchs the statues (1d20=10)

On closer examinations, Cepheus discovered that the scale armors worn by the statues could in fact be removed. These armors are beautifully enameled with shining black stone and look like they might fetch a good price. Furthermore, they could also be worn by a normal human.

Alchemist

Arcane
Seeing that there's no imminent danger in the room, Ogin will also take a suit of scale armor and put it on. [character sheet adjusted accordingly]

Arbin the halfling wanders up to the unopened door. "Well then - what shall we do about this? I assume it's possibly trapped too." He looks closely at the door and the surrounding frame and stonework for anything that seems out of place or odd. He'll make note of what kind of handle it has, and hold his ear against the door trying to hear anything on the other side. He taps his walking stick on the door and framework, with no clear reason except to poke at it in hopes of finding or hearing something interesting.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Updated character sheets
Zero_lvl_PBP_updated.jpg

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Poul, Nicomedes and Ogin carefully removed the sacle armors arom the statues and donned them. The statues remained silent.

Arbin's searches check (1d10=5)

Arbin inspected the door but found nothing noteworthy. He also held his ear against the door, but there was only deathly silence on the other side. The halfling then tapped his stick on the door, which didn't accomplsh anything other than creating a light "thud".

Alchemist

Arcane
Arbin sensing nothing obviously amiss about the door, and eager to leave the bloodied room with the elf corpse, will now try to open it.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Arbin pulled the the handle and was surprised that the door was unlocked. The door swung open easily and you could see before you a spacious chamber with marble flors and a door on each wall. At the far end is a towering granite statue of a barbarian, one hand outstretched, index finger pointed toward you. The muscular savage wears animal hides, but his eyes are intelligent and his engraved neckline sports amulets and charms. A grimoire hangs beside a broadsword on the hip of the thirty-foot-tall monument.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heb walks in and says, "I gotta wonder who this man was. You hafta appreciate a man who can handle a sword like that. Can anyone make anything out on that book of his?"

Old Slolth pulls up next to Heb, supported by his crutches. With a toothy grin he says, "I doubt the ones who built this carved too many words on a slab of stone, but I guess it doesn't hurt to take a gander."

Out of Character (OOC): I think we have a suit of scale mail still up for grabs, if anyone can confirm.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OOC: Yeah one is still unclaimed, I figured I'd give one of the people who hadn't replied to the thread as quickly a chance to claim it. Going once, going twice ... ?

We can always "rochambeaux" for it if the need arises.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
This is quite a massive hall, roughly a 40x40 square in shape. The monument is placed next to the northern door. Hep and Slolth went to check the grimoire on the monument, which proved quite difficult since it's hung in air almost 20 foot from ground. Hep was barely able to make out some arcane symbols on the cover of the book. He saw no text on the grimoire - not any he can recognize, at least.

Alchemist

Arcane
Arbin, Gylan and Ogin enter the room and start looking around. Gylan looks at the statue and says "This guy looks important - wonder if anything valuable is on that statue." He walks right up to it to get a closer look and especially tries to see if there is anything metallic or gemstone-like on the monument. He also tries to see if any words are written / carved on the base of the statue or nearby.

Meanwhile, Arbin takes a closer look at the northern door next to the monument for anything distinguishing about it. Ogin simply stands near the room center, surveying the scene, pitchfork at the ready and Gilly the Goat by his side.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Gylan's int check (1d20+1=13)

After finding nothing valuable on the monument, Gylan started searching the base of the monument and the ground nearby for noteworthy things. There isn't anything carved on the statue, but Gylan noticed many fine scorch marks on the marble floor, as if campfires had been started there.

Arbin's search check (1d10=5)

Arbin saw nothing exceptional about the door. It seems to be just a regular wooden door, exactly like the one you've just entered.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cepheus turns to Nicomedes, Hob and Siegbert and say, "Hey lads, gimme a hand up. I'm going to try and climb to the top of this statue and see if there's anything up there worth seeing. Maybe there's a hidden compartment in the head or torso or something else worth finding?" Cepheus turns to the rest of the group. "Does one of yous have a hook or something I can affix tae th' end o' this 'ere chain? A prybar fitted through one o' the links might e'en work."

If he can improvise a grappling hook he'll attempt to throw it on to the statue and aid any climb attempt. If he can't improvise a grappling hook he'll just try to climb it with a boost from his "friends."

Alchemist

Arcane
Gylan offers his crowbar to Cepheus "You're a brave man to try climbin' that thing - and welcome to use my crowbar if it helps". In passing, he mentions the scorch marks on the ground to the group. "Not sure what to make of these, hope it's not another infernal trap."

Ogin will also assist in hoisting Cepheus up.

Alchemist

Arcane
After rummaging through his stuff Gylan also says "Hey! I also have this bridle from back at the stables - might work as a sort of lasso if attached to a rope or chain. Could help you in the climb!" He lets Cepheus use it if he wants.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cepheus scratches his chin thoughtfully. "Hmmm ... yeah that bridle might'n be just the fing fer it." He loops the straps of the bridle through the chainlink and sinches the buckles, then attempts to snare some pointy bit of the statue that seems sturdy enough to support his weight.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Aug offers his grappling hook. "Stop trying to make one. You'll just end up hurting yourself. Here, I've got a real grappling hook I grabbed from my uncle's stash. He had this old one for when he used to go collecting herbs near the cliffs."

"Oh, thank the gods. I was prepared to give up a crutch," Slolth says, obviously relieved. "I have another coil of rope if you need that too."

Edit: Sorry for the delay. Schedule has been wonky.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Cepheus took the grappling hook from Aug and spent some time examining it. Seeing that the rope is sturdy enough, the woodcutter attempted to make the grappling hook catch onto the monument and succeeded after a few attempts.
Though Cepheus has plenty of experience in dealing with tall things, this is the first time he'd climbed up something this tall rather than making it come down for him. Though the surface of the monument isn't exactly smooth, this is still proving to be quite a challenge. Meanwhile, seeing that there's no immediate danger, the people waiting outside the door followed the pioneers into the chamber.

Cepheus climbs the monument (1d20=1)

It's at this moment that something most unsettling happened. The party suddenly heard a deep bass groaning sound. You quickly discovered the source of this noise: the monument is moving. Well, actually it's not moving, but swivelling. You have no idea how something this heavy could rotate freely, but somehow it does. Furthermore, the monument's seems to be track the characters' movements; now its index finger is pointing at the center of the room - where most of the party are clumped together - rather than the southern door.

Cepheus is facing a more pressing threat, however. When the monument began swivelling, the grappling hook's grapple on its surface seemed to started loosening. The woodcutter immediately realized that the hook is about to fall off...

Cepheus may burn luck to improve the climbing check if he wish. He's 10 foot from ground right now. All characters controlled by Siveon and Don Peste are in the center of the chamber, and the monument is pointing its index finger at them.

Also, I forgot to add Cepheus' dex modifier (+1) to the roll. So his check result is actually 2.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OOC: I'm not sure how you play it, but do I know my target DC before I burn luck or do I just have to guess how much to burn? Yes, I plan to burn luck to improve my roll, but I need to know a little bit more before I decide how much.

Alchemist

Arcane
Noticing the finger pointing to the room center, Ogin bolts toward the northern door Arbin was examining next to the monument, leading the goat with him. Freaked out by the statue's movement, Gylan also moves toward that door, and further into the corner beyond it.

Arbin, making a snap judgement to find a potential escape route from the giant statue, tries to open the northern door.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OOC:I just realized cepheus rolled a natural 1, do you do automatic failures for skill checks and saves? The rules in the book aren't explicit, but I always make it an automatic failure in my game.

EDIT:
added the "OOC" header

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Samuel Stuart noticed how the statue pointed at him: Yes! It is me, Grand Master Scribe Samuel Stuart! I am your doom, you demon fool! He continued walking toward the statue with his arms wide open. Follow me, comrades!
But the others stayed behind, surprised by the scene.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
nikolokolus:
I'm a bit torn on whether to tell you the DCs. Doing so feels kind of gamey, but I do realize that not knowing the target DC for succeeding would be pretty frustrating. Alright, I'll tell you: climbing to the waist of the monument is DC 10; climbing all the way to its shoulders is DC 14.

As for the natural 1: (I came up with this rule myself)
A natural 1 on a skill check is an auto-fail and fumble. However, if you burn at least 3 points of luck, you can avoid the fumble results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom