Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Sales Ranking Based on Steam Gauge, SteamDB and SteamSpy Data

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where do you get 960k for Divinity? The table shows 800k. You're looking at Dark Souls 2, I think.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Now expecting Eternity to sell a cool million easily. :cool: PS A MILLION OR BUST

Fargo barely did better than a director's cut of a previously released tablet game.

I can see why Ubisoft gave up on M&MX. Good luck to Fargo with his inevitable Bard's Tale bomb.

lol Risen

Dead State sold more than it deserved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fargo barely did better than a director's cut of a previously released tablet game.

A Director's Cut that's

1) Much cheaper
2) Was given out free to all buyers of the Shadowrun: Dragonfall DLC for Shadowrun Returns which was released much earlier

So yeah.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A Director's Cut that's

1) Much cheaper
2) Was given out free to all buyers of the Shadowrun: Dragonfall DLC for Shadowrun Returns which was released much earlier

So yeah.
I think rougey was talking about DX The Fall. Of course that was in a humble bundle.

Expecting Eternity to sell more than Dark Souls 2 is some very wishful thinking.
Maybe. Obsidian does have a more successful game than anything by From Software (Fallout: New Vegas). BG2 sold 2 million back in the day.

Ramireza

Savant
Expecting Eternity to sell more than Dark Souls 2 is some very wishful thinking.

DS2 sold mainly on consoles i think, the 950+ thousand is only the pc version. I think in total DS2 sold 4 million + copies.

But PoE COULD beat PC-DS2 in sales easily if it gets good reviews. D:OS sold great because of it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Maybe. Obsidian does have a more successful game than anything by From Software (Fallout: New Vegas). BG2 sold 2 million back in the day.

New Vegas sold on the "strength" of the IP and the success of Fallout 3, most likely. Do we even know how much it sold on PC specifically?
BG2 was a long time ago, and it's quite a likely that a good chunk of that audience is now satisfied with modern Bioware games.
I'd consider D:OS numbers realistic for PoE, but wouldn't expect more.

DS2 sold mainly on consoles i think, the 950+ thousand is only the pc version. I think in total DS2 sold 4 million + copies.

But PoE COULD beat PC-DS2 in sales easily if it gets good reviews. D:OS sold great because of it.

Actually, D:OS can be argued to have sold well primarily because of good word of mouth, given that there were no prerelease press builds and most official reviews came out some time after release. Or did you mean Steam reviews?

And it still sold worse than DS2, though not much worse in the end. Both PoE and D:OS will eventually reach 1 million, but expecting that close to release is, again, very optimistic.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Both PoE and D:OS will eventually reach 1 million, but expecting that close to release is, again, very optimistic.
This is pretty amazing on it's own. We are at the point where any half-decent iso-rpg will sell 500k+, good and with a predigree? 1 million.

By the by. If we assume Inxile has earned $20 per copy, that's a cool 8 million dollars they made from steam. Given the money they pumped into the game, probably 6-7 million in profit.

Weasel
By the by. If we assume Inxile has earned $20 per copy, that's a cool 8 million dollars they made from steam. Given the money they pumped into the game, probably 6-7 million in profit.

Wouldn't some of those Steam copies be from the KS though?

Nyast

Cipher
Grimrock 2 only sold 80K ? Didn't Grimrock 1 achieve the million ? If so, that's quite a set back.. :(

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Props to Divinity. Isometric, turn-based RPG outselling a bunch of popamole crap. And let's not forget that the game never received a huge discount. The highest i've seen was 33% off, which in a way makes those numbers even more impressive. People actually wanted to get this game, no impulse buyers who got it just because it was 80% off or some shit.

It is Bethesda that sold that game. People bought New Vegas because of Fallout 3. No way PoE is going to even remotely approach that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Let's see average playtime (there are many people just leave games unfinished, for sure):

DARK SOULS™ II / 79.3 (hours)
Might & Magic X - Legacy / 41.4
Risen 3 - Titan Lords / 33.9
Legend of Grimrock 2 / 33.3
Wasteland 2 / 33.3
Divinity: Original Sin / 32.5
Dead State / 27.8
NEO Scavenger / 21.3
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky / 19.4
Blackguards / 19.0
FINAL FANTASY® XIII / 18.8
South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ / 16.5
Agarest: Generations of War / 14.3
FINAL FANTASY IV / 13.5
FINAL FANTASY® XIII-2 / 13.0
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut / 13.0
FINAL FANTASY III / 12.5
Valkyria Chronicles™ / 12.4
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II / 10.8
Lords Of The Fallen™ / 10.7
Bound By Flame / 10.1
The Banner Saga / 9.2
Child of Light / 9.1
Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok / 5.8
Lichdom: Battlemage / 5.5
Sacred 3 / 5.2
Transistor / 5.2
Deus Ex: The Fall / 4.0

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not sure that's a very meaningful statistic when viewed in isolation - i.e. South Park's average playtime is more than what most players have reported as what they needed to finish the entire game.

Showing what % of players played x amount of hours (at 1-hour intervals, obviously) would be more valuable (I forgot what this type of statistic is called).

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Showing what % of players played x amount of hours (at 1-hour intervals, obviously) would be more valuable (I forgot what this type of statistic is called).

Yep, if Ars Techica provided that kind of data.

I guess it's one of the indications that many loved to play South Park (and play it again), unlike Blackguards which its average playtime is below the time required to finish it. (I've finished it in 48 hours, for one.)

tuluse

Arcane
I'm not sure that's a very meaningful statistic when viewed in isolation - i.e. South Park's average playtime is more than what most players have reported as what they needed to finish the entire game.

It's good to compare things. Like it confirms everyone got DX: The Fall from the bundle and didn't bother playing it much.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Now expecting Eternity to sell a cool million easily. :cool: PS A MILLION OR BUST
It will definitely crack 1 million eventually. Not before the steep discounting starts though, I don't think (D:OS got great sales with relatively low discounting - the most it's had is 40% off and that was in February this year). I've seen plenty of casuals complaining about PoE's graphics and comparing it to how "pretty" D:OS is.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought it would be interesting to see what some role playing games have done saleswise on Steam. These numbers aren't 100% accurate but not way off the mark either. Maybe some of the developers on the codex wouldn't mind chiming in. I will summon the ones that I know of.

Pillars of Eternity - 280,303 ±20,507 badler
Underrail - 22,346 ± 5,793 Styg
The Age of Decadence - 10,193 ± 3,912 Vault Dweller
Primordia - 65,469 ± 9,915 MRY
Wasteland 2 - 419,083 ± 25,067 Brother None

Divinity: Original Sin - 797,394 ± 34,549
Darkest Dungeon - 301,473 ± 21,266
The Banner Saga - 364,982 ± 23,396
Shadowrun Returns - 755,055 ± 33,622
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - 316,762 ± 21,798 (Data isn't reliable.)
Dead State - 48,612 ± 8,544
Expeditions: Conquistador - 116,826 ± 13,244
Blackguards - 310,098 ± 21,568 (Data isn't reliable.)
Blackguards 2 - 8,233 ± 3,516 <-----LOL
Divinity: Dragon Commander - 173,670 ± 16,145

Alpha Protocol - 410,458 ± 24,808
Demonicon - 61,941 ± 9,644
Divinity II: Developer's Cut - 537,869 ± 28,391 (Data isn't reliable.)
Dragon Age: Origins - 433,196 ± 25,485
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening - 121,530 ± 13,507 (Data isn't reliable.)
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition - 915,396 ± 37,007
Drakensang The River of Time - 20,386 ± 5,533
Dungeon Siege III - 639,797 ± 30,957
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - 827,189 ± 35,186
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 1,291,748 ± 43,925
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 8,311,484 ± 109,676
Fallout 3 - 381,840 ± 23,929
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition - 1,339,576 ± 44,726
Fallout: New Vegas - Game of the Year Edition - 3,253,087 ± 69,403
Fallout: New Vegas - 441,429 ± 25,725
Inquisitor - 83,111 ± 11,171 (Data isn't reliable.)
Jade Empire: Special Edition - 162,302 ± 15,608
Risen - 623,332 ± 30,558 (Data isn't reliable.)
Risen 2 - 990,274 ± 38,485
Risen 3 - 88,599 ± 11,534

I've got to go for now. There are a crapton of games not mentioned, but here's a decent enough list for now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The bombing of Blackguards 2 will always be funny.

Bloodlines and AP selling roughly the same is also pretty appropriate. :cool:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Expeditions did sell pretty well, huh. Or was it in a bundle?

Yep:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-6/
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/adrenaline-bundle/

The bombing of Blackguards 2 will always be funny.

That's more than just a bomb. It's essentially no sales. Zero-PR indies sell that much. Somebody needs to be fired over that (assuming they haven't been already).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom