Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Sales Ranking Based on Steam Gauge, SteamDB and SteamSpy Data

Turjan

Arcane
Blackguards was about on MMX's level sales wise before it started popping up in every bundle under the sun, so its numbers are probably enormously inflated (as if it beating D:OS didn't tell you that already).
Yup, bundles have a lot to do with the large numbers of some games, so it's good that this is marked in the table. I only have Blackguards on Steam because it was in some bundle. I originally bought it on GOG.
:neveraskedforthis: I still can't belive it.
Deus Ex: The Fall was in the Square Enix Humble Bundle together with several high profile games, which means that it most likely was not the actual target for those buyers.
Pay $1 or more for Thief Gold, Mini Ninjas, Daikatana, Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Anachronox. If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get Deus Ex: Invisible War, Deus Ex: The Fall, Hitman: Absolution, Battlestations Midway and the Nosgoth Veteran Pack. Those who pay $14.99 or more will receive all of the above, plus Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, Just Cause 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition and Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Results are a bit skewed by the fact that the games released in january will have been on multiple steam sales and the ones from november haven't.

LESS T_T What you can do is separate the list into "Early 2014" and "Late 2014".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Note that the Dragonfall DC stat is a bit misleading, since it includes everybody who bought the Dragonfall DLC starting from January 2014.

Turjan

Arcane
Note that the Dragonfall DC stat is a bit misleading, since it includes everybody who bought the Dragonfall DLC starting from January 2014.
How would this be misleading? The DLC got fixed up, extended and made standalone, but it's still more or less the same thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How would this be misleading? The DLC got fixed up, extended and made standalone, but it's still more or less the same thing.

It's misleading in terms of having more owners than you'd expect from a title released in September.

South Park RPG being in second position is just totally depressing. I really loved FO NV and Mask of the Betrayer so that's great for Oblivian, but nevertheless it's fucking depressing.

As for DX The Fall, I guess it takes into account the mobile phone sells.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Biggest surprises to me, Dragon Fall outselling WL2 and MMXL about doubling Grimrock 2 while making Ubisoft decided not to make any more.

South Park RPG being in second position is just totally depressing. I really loved FO NV and Mask of the Betrayer so that's great for Oblivian, but nevertheless it's fucking depressing.

What's so depressing about it ? When it came out, there was literally NOTHING to play, it's a well known franchise and was made by obsidian (which gave it some credibility among codexers and such). It wasn't as bad as movie based games usually are, so there's that. It's only natural for it to sell so well. Also it was dirt cheap (in my region).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It only counts the copies owned by Steam users. The Fall is cheap and was bundled once, and may had a halo effect of Human Revolution. Either way, it seems like most of the copies are unplayed, unlike Divinity: Original Sin.

Biggest surprises to me, Dragon Fall outselling WL2 and MMXL about doubling Grimrock 2...

Dragonfall and MMX was released way earlier than WL2 and Grimrock 2, so I don't think they're directly comparable.

while making Ubisoft decided not to make any more.

Well, I think it was not enough in comparison with Heroes or Child of Light, which was another "personal" project approved by Ubisoft in recent years. While the Child of Light team has been installed as a core team to make more games like that, MMX team has gone back to making yet another Heroes...

:negative:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Both WL2 and Dragonfall would have had the built in kickstarter numbers though. Which means 36k for Dragonfall and 50k for WL2. I also thought WL2 had way more hype around it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Both WL2 and Dragonfall would have had the built in kickstarter numbers though. Which means 36k for Dragonfall and 50k for WL2. I also thought WL2 had way more hype around it.

Dragonfall is also cheaper.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry guys, these numbers are useless. Dividing them in two parts doesn't do any good either. Thx for effort anyways.

tuluse

Arcane
Some more interesting things to note. In this sample, Fallout NV many more copies than Fallout 3, though Skyrim even more. Both Witcher games outsold Fallout 3, and Witcher 2 outsold New Vegas as well.

pippin

Twitcher games have been on sale for good prices a number of times. If I remember correctly during last sale you could buy 1 and 2 for 7/8 bucks.
GfWL is probably a factor on FO3's sales? There are also many people complaining how the game can't be played "out of the box", and you know how that goes. Consoles could be another factor as well.
300 copies of IWD:EE is indeed a little bit surprising, and the game is not very prominent on GoG's best selling list. BGs have been out there for more time but I think people knew better this time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, did I included IWD:EE in the older games list. :eek: Well, old is old.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Twitcher games have been on sale for good prices a number of times. If I remember correctly during last sale you could buy 1 and 2 for 7/8 bucks.
As have the Beth Fallouts, both have been available for $5 multiple times.
GfWL is probably a factor on FO3's sales? There are also many people complaining how the game can't be played "out of the box", and you know how that goes.
Fallout 3 doesn't use GFWL and I don't think these things affects sales that much anyways.
Consoles could be another factor as well.
Witcher 2 was on xbox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom