Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG of the Year 2014 Community Vote

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I was just against the attitude that games should be excluded because they are from one country or the other
Which isn't the official or even unofficial policy of the Codex and has never been so I don't know why you're crying.

But whatever, all this is going off topic, so we would better discuss this elsewhere.
This thread is as good a place as any.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't, but I don't know much about Valkyrie Chronicles besides the facts that it is a Japanese RPG that apparently focuses more on strategy elements. I know there was a review of it here, but I'm not interested in the game so didn't bother reading the review.

I was just against the attitude that games should be excluded because they are from one country or the other, and not because people can't write interesting reviews or analyses about them, or that they aren't good. But whatever, all this is going off topic, so we would better discuss this elsewhere.
You talk about Japanese games being covered and when one of the most unique of the 7th console generations get its PC version reviewed and it gets included in the top list, you complain?

There's also Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Two jrpgs in the top 10 isn't so bad when you consider the fact that there were many good wrpgs in 2014.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't worry. One of these days the RPG Codex, too, will grow up and realize that jRPGs, just like all other RPGs, have merit, and disliking them is a bit like disliking, mmm, baroque music compared to classical music. Sure, maybe it's not your thing, and that is just fine, but it doesn't make it objectively worse music by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually, you know, it already has! I mean, you get the few noisy hold-outs from olden times but mostly we've moved on, I think. It's nice to see y'all evolve and mature in your tastes!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Most jRPG's have better RPG mechanics than the entire library of recent BioWare/Bethesda and CD Project games combined.... :M

Athelas

Arcane
Most jRPG's have better RPG mechanics than the entire library of recent BioWare/Bethesda and CD Project games combined.... :M
Not really, unless you enjoy the riveting gameplay and "RPG mechanics" of being confronted with slow, simplistic filler combat for every few steps that you take.

That being said, there's no reason why good jRPG's can't be on the list.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Too bad the art direction is full anime, which automatic disqualifies them as something I want to play.

I agree except there are SOME (not many) that don't have the RAGE INDUCING generic shitty jRPG artwork. For example Elminage Gothic and Valkyria Chronicles.

Dev_Anj

Learned
One person decides to quote my post, and this thread goes off topic again! Good job, people!

Oh, and when people talk about anime artstyles, they often actually refer to bishonen artstyles, which are aimed at teenage boys, so it's natural for many people to find them childish. Anime by itself actually just means animated cartoon, and it encompasses a wide variety of artstyles. Also, what people often get from Japan is actually toned down from what is shown and sold there, even the kid's stuff.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom