Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Mods for first Run Through

Valzar

Novice
I've been lurking for a while and have finally decided to join. My question is basically whether are there mods that are so essential that you should install them on your first playthrough. I ask because I'm about to start the Infinity Engine games for the first time. I've always been an RPG fan but never really got into D&D (more of a fallout/morrowind/wizardry 8 guy). Lately, however, I've become really interested in Baldur's gate 2 and Planescape:Torment. A lot of my friends say they're absolutely brilliant so I thought I might give it a go. Also from browsing around here it seems like Arcanum is pure unadulterated awesomeness, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyway here are the mods I've got lined up

BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweakpack
BG2 Unfinished Business
PS:T Fixpack
PS:T Tweakpack
PS:T Unfinished Business
Arcanum Unofficial Patch
IE Widescreen Mod + UI 1024*768

Should I install these mods before playing for the first time or play once through the vanilla game?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've never bothered with any of those Infinity Engine game mods so no idea about what they bring, but definitely install the Arcanum up. The game is very buggy but that cleans it up pretty well.

Valzar

Novice
JarlFrank said:
Fixes and Patches are always good.
But mods - just leave them away for the first time.

So should I save the Unfinished Business mods for my second run through.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If you plan to play BG1 consider using one of the mods to play BG1 using BG2 engine. Mods are called easytutu or baldur's gate trilogy. If you are only interested in BG2 - imo you should use only G3 BG2 fixpack the first time. Same for PST i guess - only the fixpack.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Carceri said:
Doesn't tutu screw up BG1's game balance and what not?

IIRC (they may have fixed it by now) with TUTU the random encounters are fucked up when playing BG1. They work fine with BG2.

Having played BG1 quite a few times I noticed that right off. However it's not really that big off a deal.

JarlFrank said:
Fixes and Patches are always good.
But mods - just leave them away for the first time.

This.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom