Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker MV - Released

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/363890/
Official website: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

Free 20-day trial: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-mv

========

5cHtsFc.jpg

• Available for PC & Mac.
  • Multi-device support.
  • Side-view battles added.
  • Support for both touch controls and mouse controls.
  • Big increase on the limit of database items.
  • Maps are automatically three-layered.
  • Games run in high resolution.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker-mv-announced-pc-mac

Well, it's not so different from previous versions, as far as it looks.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Nice - now everyone can flood the mobile market further with shovelware.

In all seriousness, looks like a pretty decent upgrade; though I'd wager most people will just wait for mega steam sale/bundle, or pirate it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
High resolution is actually great news. I'm tired of all those RPG Maker games, even good ones, running in a tiny window.

I've been eyeing Gamemaker Studio for making a short dungeon crawler but I don't really have time to learn scripting. Speaking of which, I wonder if old RPG Maker scripts are going to be compatible with / easily adaptable to this new version.

Maybe this will be the RPG Maker with which I will create a Labyrinth of Touhou clone in an occult SMT-like setting with poor writing and some C&C.

Zetor

Arcane
That explains why they've been selling the VX-Ace version as $1 bundle fodder lately. Can you make blobbers with it, though?

High resolution is actually great news. I'm tired of all those RPG Maker games, even good ones, running in a tiny window.

I've been eyeing Gamemaker Studio for making a short dungeon crawler but I don't really have time to learn scripting. Speaking of which, I wonder if old RPG Maker scripts are going to be compatible with / easily adaptable to this new version.

Maybe this will be the RPG Maker with which I will create a Labyrinth of Touhou clone in an occult SMT-like setting with poor writing and some C&C. a sequel to the Grimoire Scrolls Saga.
Fix'd.

TigerKnee

Arcane
If by blobbers you mean that the exploration has to be in first-person then no, it doesn't have any 3D support that would allow you to do that.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe this will be the RPG Maker with which I will create a Labyrinth of Touhou clone in an occult SMT-like setting with poor writing and some C&C. a sequel to the Grimoire Scrolls Saga.
Fix'd.

Yeah, I agree that's more likely. I could do it in this version too, though. Just waiting for the next Codex RPG Maker contest.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So RPG Maker can finally do dungeons like SSI's 1993 Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures?

Congrats!

Severian Silk

I hope there will be native support for proper SRPGs. The new features are good.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In VX Ace, you can change resolution with scripting but it cause some tricky problems beyond 640x480. The engine was designed that way for some reason (maybe because the developers are Japanese :roll:).

I guess MV will support more flexible approach to it, as it have to support a range of resolutions for mobile devices.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Not exactly what I expected when I read "high" resolution. Without high res sprites, the games will look shit on mobiles. I don't get why higher resolutions are so hard to make for them. It's not like there are no high performance tile engines around.

Also the "big" increase in database items is 2000 instead of 999.

Point 2: Touch and Mouse controls are newly added. Keyboard and Gamepad controls are also available.
Point 3: Database maximum limit is increased twofold from 999 to 2000.
Point 4: Maps are automatically getting 3 layers generated.
Point 5: Game screen resolution is increased from 544x418 to 816x624.

Closing Notes: Development process is currently at 65%. Kadokawa promises over 60 new features in MV.

Zetor

Arcane
Javascript? Well, at least it isn't Ruby, I guess.

... One day, these *maker engines will embrace the greatness that is Python. Freedom Force did it... in 2002!

e: LUA is fine too.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
For whatever reason, my love affair with this engine ended when they went from the early SNES sprites of RPG Maker 95 and late SNES sprites of RPG Maker 2000 to the later chibi look. I suppose nostalgia clouds a lot of flaws, but games in those older engines didn't look shovel-ware-ish to me, even if they were generic, whereas the new stuff just looks mediocre both in design and execution.

epeli

Arcane
New engine for shovelware indie eroge? I'm okay with that. :desu:

On a more serious note, this sounds like the greatest thing to ever happen to RPGMaker. Replacing their own godawful scripting contraption with javascript and having HTML5 export (even if it's bound to have retarded limitations/DRM) has to be the best idea the japanese software industry has ever had, given the ever-increasing importance and capabilities of the browser. Not to mention it gives a lot more control over what's actually possible to do with it. Too bad it'll still probably require a RTP - would be too good to get the entire engne source code in plain HTML+JS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom